TH Ante Post Competition 2018 / 2019 FEBRUARY selections

Is this Skybet or sportingbet ? Can you provide a link as none of the handicaps are currently showing on Oddschecker ?
Sporting bet, only 20s available other than Coral which isn't allowed.

My phone is tosh and currently away till Monday.

Edit, as NewApproach said.

Last edited:
£200 ew & £400 win - Fast Buck (Supreme Nov H) - 40/1 William Hills.

Minimum each way bet in February is £250

Last edited by a moderator:
250 e/w the last samurai 16-1 boylesports in the fox hunters please

Thankyou so much guys - this is still my favourite comp all year!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

£500 ew Dicordantly Martin Pipe 33/1
£1000 win Lisnager Oscar Albert Bartlett 8/1
Both Ladbrokes.
Thank you and good luck to all!

Last edited:
£1000 win Siruh Du Lac, Brown Advisory Plate, 12-1, Betfred
£500 win Harrie, Martin Pipe, 25-1, Ladbrokes
£500 win Frodon, Gold Cup, 20-1, Hills

Cheers and good luck all

Does the win bet not have to be £500 or do you allow the win portion of each way as part of that total?

I would say you need to change both bets then to £500 win and £250 each way,however if you don't agree Rules 10 & 14 say

10. Once a bet has been submitted it cannot be cancelled or changed unless the rules demand it.

14. Any disputes, the decision of NewApproach and Grey will be final. (so ultimately not down to me but as you say cancelling the bet is not really playing the game.)

I would say you need to change both bets then to £500 win and £250 each way,however if you don't agree Rules 10 & 14 say

10. Once a bet has been submitted it cannot be cancelled or changed unless the rules demand it.

14. Any disputes, the decision of NewApproach and Grey will be final. (so ultimately not down to me but as you say cancelling the bet is not really playing the game.)

How about I convert it all to £800 win?

Right, I'll reply on the basis you know someone is aware of this situation, I expect NA and Grey will be at work until later. I personally think that infringes Rule 10, the problem lies with the fact you infringed the rules , I don't really think that entitles you to change the nature of the bets. I'm passing this over to NA and Grey, both parts of the AP competition are their baby, I just help with admin.

Happy to leave it to NA and Grey but my reading of the rules would be that if the bet wasn't accepted, it doesn't exist to be cancelled or amended. Had I only £800 left in the bank, upping the stake wouldn't be an option. I was trying to stay within the spirit of the game by suggesting another way of spending £800 on the same horse at a price shorter than now available.

Ok have received various messages from NA and Grey, this is their judgement

"Archie, the minimum ew bet is £250 ew and the minimum win bet is £500, so for an outlay of £800 it's not possible to mix both types. That leaves two possibilities, either £400 ew or £800 win.

DG is correct that £ 800 win is a different type of bet to the one originally intended, but an ew only bet is different as well. An ew bet is 50% win and 50% place, and a win bet is 100% win and 0% place, so your intended bet of 75% win and 25% is half way between the two. In the circumstances we think the logical thing is to let you choose between £400 ew or £800 win at the original price with Wiliam Hill of 40/1"

Happy to see that this appears to have reached a mutual agreement but at the risk of affecting that, if I may offer a neutral's view of it; Archie makes a valid point that his selections were never confirmed so IMHO he's entitled to use the £800 on an entirely different selection.

It potentially begs the question, what would have happened if the horse had won and the odds had shortened considerably but in this case Archie post his selection on the Saturday, the horse ran Sunday afternoon and then after that race he was notified that it wasn't valid.

If he'd been notified in advance - and that is no dig at the organizers who do a fantastic job with this comp - then it would be different as Archie would have had time to adjust the bet without knowing the outcome of Sunday's race.

But in this case he didn't so I for one would have no problem with Archie getting his £800 back

Just a thought...

Ok have received various messages from NA and Grey, this is their judgement

"Archie, the minimum ew bet is £250 ew and the minimum win bet is £500, so for an outlay of £800 it's not possible to mix both types. That leaves two possibilities, either £400 ew or £800 win.

DG is correct that £ 800 win is a different type of bet to the one originally intended, but an ew only bet is different as well. An ew bet is 50% win and 50% place, and a win bet is 100% win and 0% place, so your intended bet of 75% win and 25% is half way between the two. In the circumstances we think the logical thing is to let you choose between £400 ew or £800 win at the original price with Wiliam Hill of 40/1"
That's fine, DG. Thanks for your consultations.

I think it won't matter which option I take but I'll keep it simple with the £800 win.

Thanks to NA and Grey for their Solomonesque judgement.

£250 ew Itchy Feet Supreme 33/1 various.
£250 ew Ibis Du Rheu NHC 25/1 various
£250 ew Hardline Arkle 16/1 various
£250 ew Lust For Glory Mares Novice 16/1 Betfair

Back