The 2000 Guineas (and beyond)

Yes, of course. And I'm still smarting from taking fast times at the early HQ meetings last season too much at face value! (Even if Monitor Closely did eventually hit the very smart figures I had for him.)

Jim Bolger was quoting Luca Cumani, who was quoting an American trainer of many decades ago.

It's a load of sh1te. Most race times are unimportant. The trick is to find the meaningful ones.

think Beyers have had same thing said about them..a decent looking time figures backs up the form rating maybe..i assume their form ratings are linked to time ..the name suggests it :)

A couple of horses worth noting for the future

ANGUS NEWS..did well to rally to lead again in a very fast run race..the other prominent runners dropped well back apart from from Parisian Pyramid..who also might be worth watching..both these horses have run well against a pace bias and have both slipped down the weights so will be worth watching in the next couple of outings..particularly Angus.. if he gets a race where he can dictate

Genki also ran well from a high draw which looked a disadvantage..first 8 home drawn 10 or less..he is weighted up to hilt though at the moment so may need to step outside of handicaps..has run well here though against draw bias.

By the way - Nick Mordin thinks Canford Cliffs should go for the Eclipse!

He called the Guineas spot on though in his Weekend column. Said that it was between the Greenham pair unless something came out of the woodwork at a big price...

I was a big fan of Poet' Voice last year, and think it was stepping up he needed, not down for the Middle Park. Will be interesting to see how he wintered as he was a great horse to look at, very imposing.

The thing is many would have said the same about Makfi before Newmarket.

With the Guineas, you just don't know till later in the season how good they are.

True Hamm , never understand how people can come to that conclusion so early in the year when for many of them it's the first time they have been truely tested.

Irish Field mentioned that Canford Cliffs is very much a possible for next Saturday's Irish Guineas and that Arcano would be left in at Monday's stage.

Back