The 2000 Guineas (and beyond)

Siyouni ran on well enough without being asked anything - can't believe he was 10/11 on the PMU, even by French standards that's ridiculous.

Ground is currently "Good" at the Curragh and likely to stay close to that.

Canford Clifffs
Steinbeck
Fencing Master
Xtension
Noll Wollop
Keredari

Looks a cracking renewal in prospect.

I don't see the big deal about Steinbeck. He had the run of the race up front in the Dewhurst, and the rail to help. The runs of his 2 stable companions were much more interesting, and before anyone mentions inexperience, Fencing Master had only run once beforehand.

Last edited:
Ground is currently "Good" at the Curragh and likely to stay close to that.

When do they commence watering? :D:p

Irish 200 Guineas Entries

2454- 1 Air Chief Marshal (APO'Brien) - ....... (110)
113- 2 Canford Cliffs (RHannon (in GB)) - ...........
9-22 3 Carraiglawn (JSBolger) - . ................... (92)
381-2 4 Dynasty (GB) (APO'Brien) - .............. (103)
-6152 5 Encompassing (APO'Brien) - . .......... (100)
12-7 6 Fencing Master (GB) (APO'Brien) - . (116)
15-4 7 Fighting Brave (USA) (APO'Brien) .......... (103)
81-61 8 Free Judgement (USA) (JSBolger) -. (109)
411- 9 Jan Vermeer (APO'Brien) - . .............. (119)
13-1 10 Keredari (JMOxx) - ............................ (106)
2215- 11 Morana (PWChapple-Hyam(in GB)) - .........
41-1 12 Noll Wallop (TStack) - ....................... (109)
821-5 13 Oasis Dancer (GB) (RMBeckett (in GB)) -
71-33 14 Purple Heart (APO'Brien) - . ................ (94)
132-7 15 Sebastian Flyte (GB) (FEnnis) - ....... (107)
41-1 16 Shintoh (USA) (JSBolger) - . ............. (103)
14- 17 Steinbeck (APO'Brien) - .............................
28-20 18 Viscount Nelson (USA) (APO'Brien). (108)
1213- 19 Xtension (CGCox (in GB)) - .......................
41- 20 Zaahy (USA) (PWChapple-Hyam(in GB)) -

I don't see the big deal about Steinbeck. He had the run of the race up front in the Dewhurst, and the rail to help.

Everything I have heard about the race suggests both of those assertions are flat wrong. Numerous people have said the rail was distinctly disadvantaged on Dewhurst day. It's not like they went a steady gallop either, so I'm exactly sure how he had the run of the race.

That is not to suggest he would have won that day, or will win on Saturday.

I should have said 'if anything had the run of the race'.

I just don't see the angle on him, and am against him as I see him being very, very short for what he has achieved.

He hadn't run since the may of that year due to niggling injuries and was unlucky in the Dewhurst I thought. The other three came down the middle away from him and the acceleration he showed from two out tells me he has more speed than the rest in that race. I think he'll get the trip fine and the ground should be no problem either.

I think we will see a special performance on saturday personally and the only horse I would be in any way afraid of is Canford Cliffs.

I just don't see the angle on him, and am against him as I see him being very, very short for what he has achieved.

Fair enough. I'm willing to mark up his Dewhurst performance for a number of reasons and think he may well prove to be the best horse in the race (if not on the day), though whether that is good enough to beat Canford Cliffs et. al. I'm not sure.

Is there any chance Murtagh could ride Fencing Master? Very much fits the Duke Of Marmalade/Oratorio mould of strongly fancied Ballydoyle horses in the race.

Hannon is exceptionally bullish in talking up his horse for Saturday (while, amusingly, accusing others of doing the same thing about theirs). If anyone follows stats, then the stats for this race would be against Steinbeck winning first time out.

Last edited:
Anyone hazard a guess at what the odds for Steinbeck and Canford Cliffs might be? Thanks

Of the early prices up this afternoon, Steinbeck is best priced 11-4, while the biggest on Canford Cliffs is 7-2. Xtension is generally 5s or 6s.
Some interesting discrepancies among the others. Fencing Master varying between 5-1 and 8-1 and Keredari varying between 6-1 and 12-1.

That and the stiffness of the track will suit Fencing Master down to the ground. Canford Cliffs hasn't gone round a turn yet either. One to oppose at short odds.

Needs fast ground?

I do not think the ground will be an issue on Saturday - just think he will step up on whatever he does on Saturday but thats not to say he won't be good enough anyway. Last I heard he was not confirmed and was only just coming to hand nicely.

I do not think the ground will be an issue on Saturday - just think he will step up on whatever he does on Saturday but thats not to say he won't be good enough anyway. Last I heard he was not confirmed and was only just coming to hand nicely.

Racing Post: O'Brien said: "We will wait a few days before deciding if [Steinbeck] will run on Saturday. He is only a possible runner at this stage."

Back