The 2000 Guineas (and beyond)

By Racing Post staff 4:25PM 23 MAR 2010
THE Flat season into life exploded into life on Tuesday after a sensational workout by StanJames.com 2,000 Guineas hope Inler prompted a significant gamble on the son of Red Ransom.
Inler, who is owned by Harry Findlay's mother Margaret, was halved in price by bookmakers on Tuesday, despite having just one juvenile appearance under his belt, havingwon a Newmarket maiden by four lengths in October.

Following a workout on Mick Channon's gallops on Tuesday morning, which was later described in glowing terms by trainer John Best, a plunge developed on Inler, leading to his odds being slashed across the industry.
William Hill cut their odds to 14-1 from 33-1 in a matter of hours, while Ladbrokes went 20-1 from the same price.
Best told At The Races: "He worked with a five-furlong horse and did it very, very easily. My only concern would be that he shows so much speed that he might not stay a mile.
"He is such a professional in everythinghe does and works really well and is very consistent.
"He galloped this morning at Mick Channon's and Harry was there, everyone down at Channon's will be telling their friends and neighbours what's happened - so you can't keep something like that quiet. We just want to be honest and tell people what's happening.
"The plan is to run him on April 8 at Leicester in a six furlong conditions race and all being well he'll go straight onto the Guineas."
Kate Miller, spokeswoman for William Hill, said of the gamble: "The whispers are already circulating that John Best’s charge could be something truly special and it’ll be intriguing to see where he lines up next."

"KINGSFORT, as short as 12-1 for the StanJames.com 2,000 Guineas at Newmarket on May 1, will miss the race.

Godolphin racing manager Simon Crisford revealed on Wednesday that the War Chant colt had sustained an ankle injury that would keep him off the track until at least midsummer.

“It’s not a career-threatening injury, and Kingsfort will be back in the second half of the season," Crisford said on Wednesday.

Kingsfort was undefeated in two runs as a two-year-old and was bought by Godolphin after winning the Group 1 Ladbrokes.com Vincent O'Brien National Stakes in September.

He was formerly trained by Kevin Prendergast and owned by Norman Ormiston."

From the Racing Post this morning.

Although Kingsfort is out of the 2000 Guineas, Sheikh Mohammed could still be well represented by the likes of Chabal, Poet's Voice and Emerald Commander.
Crisford added: "Poet's Voice has had a very good winter and has settled well.
"In his races he wants to do it all at once and pings the gates so well.
"We will get Chabal to Europe and decide where he runs and I don't know quite where we will run Emerald Commander."
The latter was purchased from Richard Hannon's yard after winning a Haydock Listed event and went to be second to Jan Vermeer in the Criterium International.
Crisford added: "He had good form with the likes of Elusive Pimpernel and was second in a Group One.
"Soft ground and a mile and a quarter should suit him well."

Sounds good for Poet's Voice, a horse I really, really liked last season, and was disappointed with how they campaigned him at the end of the season.

Anyone any word on Showcasing of John Gosdens? One i wouldnt rule out of it yet unless someone knows something i dont...

Sounds good for Poet's Voice, a horse I really, really liked last season, and was disappointed with how they campaigned him at the end of the season.

plenty of time left for HIM to sustain any sort of injury !

damn, really liked kingsfort but been waiting exactly for this news ever since the purchase been confirmed. :mad:

Positive reports about Inler today on the sporting life.

Best has said he is as quick as Kingsgate Native but more straightforward. If he stays a mile and is that quick he has to be a strong contender.

Just running through a few of the top contenders in betting order - two out of the top four I would confidently put up as non stayers over the mile - or horses that will certainly do better over a little less. Do we think the money horse, Inler, will get the trip - mixed messages for me.

St Nicholas Abbey - sure stayer
Canford Cliffs - non stayer
Awzaan - non stayer
Arcano - stayer
Workforce - stayer
Inler - unsure
Fencing Master - stayer
Elusive Pimpernel - stayer
Cape Blanco - stayer
Xtension - stayer
Hearts Of Fire - stayer
Alfred Nobel - non stayer
Al Zir - stayer
Beethoven - stayer

I think that Inler's breeding would suggest that he will get a mile.

Red Ransom's best progeny Intikab and Electrocutionist stayed a mile with the latter staying further.

Inler's dam was a miler, as were a lot of the damsire's other progeny.

I think that Inler's breeding would suggest that he will get a mile.

Red Ransom's best progeny Intikab and Electrocutionist stayed a mile with the latter staying further.

Inler's dam was a miler, as were a lot of the damsire's other progeny.

I agree - but he looked very pacey on his debut and they are keeping him to six furlongs.

What did you make of Cape Blanco, Gal? Didn't look to have a great deal of scope when I see him at Leopardstown last year - looked fairly well-grown at that stage.

Don't like the sound of this - I like the horse and I don't see why the Guineas is not a confirmed target.

Connections of Arcano have yet to firm up plans this season for the Prix Morny winner.

The Oasis Dream colt is delighting trainer Brian Meehan after spending the winter at owner Sheikh Hamdan Al Maktoum's Shadwell Stud.

"He wintered well at Shadwell and has come back really well. He's got very strong and looks fantastic. We're really happy with him, but we're not sure about his first run yet. We'll play it by ear, but we've no real solid plans yet. It (the 2000 Guineas) is a possibility, but he's not a definite runner yet," said Meehan.

Back