The 2000 Guineas (and beyond)

"Our most likely runners for the Stan James 2000 guineas at Newmarket on Saturday 1st May will hopefully come from the following horses;
St Nicholas Abbey
Viscount Nelson
Fencing Master
Beethoven"
Aidan O Brien.

It is unfortunate that Steinbeck is going to miss the Stanjames.com 2000 Guineas. He has done really well and we are very excited about him. Hopefully he will restart in the Abu Dhabi Irish 2000 Guineas on Saturday 22nd May at the Curragh.

Most 2000G winners come from the Northern Dancer sireline, which does not include CC, or Pennekamp.

I was at the Middleham open day today and had a chat with the lad at Awzaan's stable. To say they are confident was an understatement. St Nicholas Abbey is almost a swear word around there.

Awzaan was the picture of calm in his box, which surprised them somewhat as he is not averse to having a bite or a kick apparently, particularly in the parade ring. On that basis I asked how they thought he would handle the big occasion of Guineas day. The response was instantaneous: It was a big occasion for his Middle Park and he never batted an eyelid. Apparently he has never got warm or turned a hair at the racecourse.

When pushed on his optimal distance, they thought that in time he may get even further than a mile - but for some reason I wasn't entirely sure there was much conviction in that.

Richard Hills galloped him yesterday and was happy. Regular work scheduled until Guineas with the possibility of a racecourse gallop after the Craven.

I have backed him as well.

Agree with Johnston's thoughts on st Nicholas' Abbey.

can see him going off around 13/2.

CC is by Tagula, Tagulas stamina index according to the RPost is ( 7.1f ). If CC were to win the Guineas that would be the lowest stamina index of the winners sire since at least 1992 ( when my records start ). Zafonics sire Gone West is the current lowest with a stamina index of ( 8.2 f ).

What's more he hard looks like a horse that is crying out for a mile. Very keen sort who looks all about speed to me.

Which weekend is the French Guineas this year?

I'd love to go one year as I've only been to Longchamp for the Arc. Imagine it will be hard to top last year's result though.

Edit: 16th May, finally navigated the France Galop site.

Last edited:
I was at the Middleham open day today and had a chat with the lad at Awzaan's stable. To say they are confident was an understatement. St Nicholas Abbey is almost a swear word around there.

Awzaan was the picture of calm in his box, which surprised them somewhat as he is not averse to having a bite or a kick apparently, particularly in the parade ring. On that basis I asked how they thought he would handle the big occasion of Guineas day. The response was instantaneous: It was a big occasion for his Middle Park and he never batted an eyelid. Apparently he has never got warm or turned a hair at the racecourse.

When pushed on his optimal distance, they thought that in time he may get even further than a mile - but for some reason I wasn't entirely sure there was much conviction in that.

Richard Hills galloped him yesterday and was happy. Regular work scheduled until Guineas with the possibility of a racecourse gallop after the Craven.

It's true Johnston is very excited about this one and has been pushing strongly for him to take part in the Guineas. Lots of speed in his pedigree. While he may not stay quite well enough, if he does he should go very close. Still the each-way value for those taking the view that he'll get the mile even though this value is now drying up.

Is there much each-way value in backing potential non-stayers? If he doesn't get the trip, the likelihood is that he won't be in the 3.

There was almost nothing between the first four in the Dewhurst, and Xtension was hampered at the start. The horse won fto last year in May; agreed he was easily beaten by CC over 6f, but CC is imo a sprinter. Clive is a very patient man and will have left plenty to work on. I took 36 over the winter and have a decent place bet too (at around the price CC is trading at to win). Of those with known form he is by far the best value, in spite of not having the profile in terms of connections, breeding etc to win the Guineas

DJ, had a flashback just then; can't remember the year, or the horses, but as they flashed past the post in The Derby, Julian Wilson claiming that the horse that finished second, beaten a short-head?, didn't stay.

DJ, had a flashback just then; can't remember the year, or the horses, but as they flashed past the post in The Derby, Julian Wilson claiming that the horse that finished second, beaten a short-head?, didn't stay.

Rheingold?

As for CC - the support for him and his short price is fascinating considering that he has not run since the Morny. If he does stay he might be very hard to catch in the final two furlongs.

El Gran Senor was short headed by Secreto in 1984 - Golden Fleece beat subsequent Leger winner Touching Wood comfortably in 1982 .

EGS was allegedly the subject of the apocryphal and denied by Lester in his autobio - " miss me ? " comment to MVOB from Lester in the winner's enclosure - after Eddery had got there miles too soon.

Back