The 2000 Guineas (and beyond)

Like I said earlier in this thread I thought SNA would go to Newmarket with support and Footprints saved for the Irish equivalent. From what I'm hearing from a couple of people this is the first choice plan.

The Ballydoyle horses are not in serious work yet - SNA will be aimed at the Guineas if he shows he is a Guineas horse at home. They are not going to rule Steinbeck and co out of it at this stage. Only injury can stop Steinbeck lining up (imo) with SNA turning up if they are happy he is a Guineas horse.

Whats more they can leave a decision very late as both are horses that are pretty easy to get fit quickly - both will be working after racing at The Curragh in a couple of weeks.

By Racingpost.com staff 2:52PM 19 MAR 2010
STEINBECK, a 9-1 chance with the sponsors for the Stanjames.com 2,000 Guineas, may miss the Newmarket Classic on May 1.
The Aidan O'Brien-trainedson of Footstepsinthesand was a general third favourite for the Guineas behind stablemate St Nicholas Abbey and Canford Cliffs having finished fourth in the Group 1 Jumeirah Dewhurst Stakes behind Ballydoyle stablemate Beethoven following a long layoff.

However the trainer told his website: "Unfortunately, Steinbeck has met with a small training setback and won't be at the Curragh this Sunday, he will probably also miss the 2,00 Guineas at Newmarket and will hopefully be trained for the Irish 2000 Guineas instead."
O'Brien added: "Jan Vermeer has a stone bruise at the moment, he has been swimming for the last four days and will also miss cantering at the Curragh, but we expect him to resume full training by next Monday or Tuesday."
Racegoers at the Curragh on Sunday will get the chance to see many of Ballydoyle's stars, including impressive Racing Post Trophy winner St Nicholas Abbey.
O'Brien said: "We hope to bring a number of horses to the Curragh on Sunday to canter after racing including St Nicholas Abbey, Rip Van Winkle, Fame And Glory, Cape Blanco, Age Of Aquarius, Fencing Master, Mikhail Glinka and Beethoven."

Nice of them to tell us today, it's been known for weeks though Gal.

What are Godolphin confirmed runners or non-runners? It's over a month before the Guineas.....it is also antepost betting. If it was known weeks ago it certainly was not reflected in Betfair to any huge extent.

Well he's traded at 29s today and looking at the graph I think he was around 26 or 27 a few weeks back so pretty much the same.

What are Godolphin confirmed runners or non-runners? It's over a month before the Guineas.....it is also antepost betting. If it was known weeks ago it certainly was not reflected in Betfair to any huge extent.

What have Godolphin got to do with it?

You will not see a more open stable so this is a poor example.

What have Godolphin got to do with it?

You will not see a more open stable so this is a poor example.

That is my point - I do not know if Chabal is on course for the Guineas or not and to be honest it is only from here on in that I would expect to. We do not know the problem with Steinbeck - it could have been a niggly problem (the horse does have that sort of profile) that can only really be confirmed now. Look at Binocular and co - also note Steinbeck will "probably" miss the Guineas.

They are from the most open organisation but we know with over a month to go that the horse is an unlikely runner and we will get to see the rest have 4 legs on Sunday in a very public exercise session.

I wouldn't think Godolphin know themselves to be honest.

Well if Godolphin don't know at this stage given the weather over there and the galloping conditions then I think knowing about Steinbeck now is not that bad time - particularly when as I said the injury must not be that serious as the horse is just unlikely as opposed to a confirmed non-runner.

Back