The 2014 Punchestown Festival

Iirc he has previously hinted at the 2m4f race (much to my disappointment) but I don't know what his current view is. Looking at the stable options I'd guess that the 3m will be the target.

I don't think this race should dominate the run up to this Festival like it did Cheltenham.

From a punting point of view the Gold Cup is far more interesting. On His Own and Boston Bob are chronic prices. If the ground comes up really soft Harry Topper would appeal, and if it doesn't Lyreen Legend travelled like the best horse in the race at Cheltenham. A couple of furlongs less may still stretch his stamina too much though.

a) If the Fly contingent really exercise their prerogative perhaps Jezki goes to evens. I can play at that stage.
b)Gold Cup- don't underestimate Spring Heeled if he runs.

Champagne Fever out of Boylesports Champion Chase and Growise Champion Novice Chase, confirming intention to run in Ryanair Novice Chase.

Was hoping they'd go for the CC as am going over on the Tues, looking an open enough race betting 4/1 the field.

Just saw betting on Twitter for the Champion Chase next Tuesday.....

Balder Succes 8/1. That is Massive! At that price I have to assume he will not be running.

I've been keeping my distance this week, trying to take a week off, but this has brought me out of my 4 day retirement already!!!!!

8/1 ............... Seriously ?!? Anyone any insight on the likelihood of him actually running?

Paddy Power go

5-4 Champagne Fever,5-2 Balder Succes,5 Trifolium,8 FelixYonger,12 Mozoltov,16 Arnaud,Ned Buntline

The way CF put Melodic Rendevous to bed on his favoured bog like conditions in the bumper here a couple of years ago sticks in the memory.

btw I'm travelling over with the missus for the Thu/Fri if anybody feels like talking shyte over a pint or two of the black stuff.

Grassy ?

has Nicholls completely lost his bottle without Ruby?

used to compete at Punchestown ...now he's got nothing

Best you stay home and re motgage your house Grassy.

6/4 about Hurricane Fly if he turns up on the day and is well that price is as crazy as it gets.

Hurricane Fly has already proved he's as good or at least almost as good as he once was if you ignore the Champion Hurdle form.

There is no way on earth Jezki is in the same class when it comes to racing round Punchestown.

Jezki of course won the race last year but Champagne Fever and co are not Hurricane Fly.

No doubt it will come to a head to head going to the last but as we saw when Our Conor looked all over the winner at Leopardstown Hurricane Fly is one very hard horse to beat when the chips are down.

At Cheltenham Our Conor set a blistering pace the exact opposite to what he had done the in the presvious meeting Hurricane Fly when Our Conor had sat behind him all the way round.

It was a bit of a no brainer that this was always the plan Dessie Hughes had in mind for Our Condo and without a shadow of a doubt Willie Mullins and Ruby were well aware of what to expect.

Ruby had already made up his mind that there is no way he could afford to give Our Conor too much leeway, so the only choice he had was to keep within shooting distance of the young horse.

Although Our Conor unfortunately fell at the 3rd Hurricane Fly was already in racing mode and using up energy rather than cruising and preserving it.

When a hose like Hurricane Fly who loves to run gets into that frame of mind getting him to totally relax is near on impossible.

No doubt in my mind connections thought Our Conor was the one they had to beat and had he not been in the race Hurricane Fly would not have been ridden in the fashion he was.

At Punchestown thing will be back to normal and I just can't see Jezki having the speed to cope with Hurricane Fly's finishing power.

I've always said MTOY as good as he is looks like a rocking horse in a finish. That's 5, or 6 times if you like, he's failed to pull anything out in a finish. He's a very good horse and tries his best but there's just something about his make up and the way he holds himslel together that stops him putting his head down in a fight.

Hurricane Fly is the exact opposite he's like a tiger in a fight and I don't see this race turning out to be anything but that.

In my book If Jezki couldn't put distance between himself and MTOY then he's got very little chance of outgunning Hurrcane Fly round Punchestown. Making him odds on to bet the Fly is crazier than crazier.........................6/4 the Fly is a steal.

Last edited:
Fist
Where was Captain Cee Bee throughout this 'blistering pace' Champion Hurdle, and where do you think he might be at Punchestown? :)

Don't you start Reet LOL

It would seem having finished 7 lengths behind Hurricane Fly that he also suffered from racing alongside Our Conor as he too went out like a light at the business end in the Champion.

The most sensible answer to your question would be "Behind"

How far behind depends on what kind of pace he goes off at and more importantly where they start racing seriously from.

If the race is run "Lets all wait till the 2nd last" like it was in the race before the Champion then he'd finish not too far behind as there's only so much ground you can put between yourself and those behind in races run like that.

Interesting that Faugheen is now running in the 2miler. Testing the waters for next season.

Send Vautour chasing Willie please.

I'm all in on Djakadam in the Growise.

A future star I cant see how any of these give him 9lbs and a beating. Barring a fall of course.

Back