The 2014 Punchestown Festival

So Supreme winner Vautour upped to 2m 4f for the first time while Neptune winner (previously a winner over 3m) Faugheen drops back to 2m.

Far be it for me to question the great WPM but I do sometimes get the impression he's taking the p155.

Good job this meeting doesn't have the ante post frenzy of Cheltenham else a few would have got their fingers burnt backing those two in the opposite races.

Fishing trip for Faugheen, I reckon - to see how he measures as a potential CH horse. Vautour shouldn't have any problems with a 20f journey, though his entry in the 3-mile novice hurdle was bizarre to say the least.

Last edited:
Yes Grass, they're clearly both experimental expeditions but at the years 2nd/3rd biggest meeting ?

And if Willie wants to have a CH contender next year, there's already one or two I could think of... He just seems to me to be generating more headaches for himself but what do I know ?!

I reckon this has to do with faugheens jumping, he wants to see if a quicker 2m race brings about improvement in that dept. As a result Vautour gets rerouted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 3m novice hurdle is very interesting, Very Wood, Apache Jack, Don Poli and Beat That are all declared. Beat That was very impressive at Aintree and should take this.

10 declared in the Gold Cup on Wednesday.

Argocat
Boston Bob
First Lieutenant
Foildubh
Long Run
Lyreen Legend
Medermit
Morning Assembly
Noble Prince
On His Own

Morning Assembly also declared in Tuesday's novice chase.

Like Granger, I've had to re-visit the Djakadam form. And I must agree he was most impressive on first 2 starts over fences.

However, the thing that stood out for me was that Djakadam has never attempted this trip before. It's 3m1f tomorrow. Big step up from 2m5f. Untested at the distance to date....... (Ballycasey was outed as a non stayer when he first attempted it imo - and that was only from 2m6f up to 3m)

If, as suggested above, Ruby bowls along in front, I'd be worried he'd be a sitting duck over this extended trip, especially for some horses in behind who will need a true run race (Don Cossack & Morning Assembly).

If you take the Chelt/Aintree form literally, Don Cossack (Maybe an unlucky faller like Djakadam in his Chelt race) beat O'Faolains boy by 14 Lengths at Aintree and prior to that O'Faolains Boy had beaten Morning Assembly by 7 Lengths at Chelt.... Unless you take a stance that O'Faolains boy was not right or recovered for the Aintree race. Even still, after he won at Chelt, there were lots of reports that he didn't travel well or had a shoe issue etc.. So personally I find it hard to make a case he was actually worse off at Aintree.

On that form Don Cossack has to have a great chance and possibly Djakadam will set the race up for him.

It's about time The Don fulfilled his promise!

Last edited:
I have been a Djakadam fan since Christmas. Slightly bewildered he is the fashionable horse now, as very few agreed with me on here in February when I posted about him. And all he has done since is fallen. It is not like the vibes from Closutton can be too strong. He took a walk in the market at the Festival.

I like the horse, but I am disappointed to see his price so short for tomorrow.

I personally don't think he'll be bowling along in front. I think he'll be mid-div or held up. I think he's a better jumper when going slower, like in d Leop race beating BND. I feel that's why he's running over d longer trip. Switch him off, ease him into the race and then when push comes to shove he either stays or doesn't. But mid-div or dropping him out gives him d best chance all things considered, for me anyway.

10 declared in the Gold Cup on Wednesday.

Argocat
Boston Bob
First Lieutenant
Foildubh
Long Run
Lyreen Legend
Medermit
Morning Assembly
Noble Prince
On His Own

Morning Assembly also declared in Tuesday's novice chase.

Notwithstanding the Gold Cup result (plus BB's Aintree win), I think this is a poor race, which could go to a market binger. I've therefore had had a nice each-way dunt on Foildubh, in the hope he can have a few drawer's down.

There is no way I am backing that horse again.

I actually like Lyreen Legend at the odds. Travelled like the best horse in the Gold Cup.

If you're around Naas tonight D.Hughes, LizDoyle, B.Geraghty, D.Russell, P.Townend N.Madden are all on preview panel in McCormacks at 8PM.

Notwithstanding the Gold Cup result (plus BB's Aintree win), I think this is a poor race, which could go to a market binger. I've therefore had had a nice each-way dunt on Foildubh, in the hope he can have a few drawer's down.

Lyreen Lygend for me.

Posting here as well as the retirement thread in case it affects your punting, Quevega is to retire on Thursday as it has been announced she is in foal to Beat Hallow.

Thanks DG

On the basis being in foal usually enhances performance (obviously very early stages) the 11/10 with BetVictor looks huge

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
A Grade 1 chase over 2m which has Somersby, Module and Hidden Cyclone at the head of affairs, is a Grade 1 in name only. Twinlight goes well here and at this time of year, and Ruby gave the same horse the ride of the season (imo) to win at the same meeting last year. At 8/1, I'm happy to take my chances against the principals.

A Grade 1 chase over 2m which has Somersby, Module and Hidden Cyclone at the head of affairs, is a Grade 1 in name only. Twinlight goes well here and at this time of year, and Ruby gave the same horse the ride of the season (imo) to win at the same meeting last year. At 8/1, I'm happy to take my chances against the principals.

Don't be stealing my thunder on Twinlight now Grassy.............. ;)

I'll give you the benifit of the doubt that you had not read the 'What are you backing today' thread before posting :cool:

Don't be stealing my thunder on Twinlight now Grassy.............. ;)

I'll give you the benifit of the doubt that you had not read the 'What are you backing today' thread before posting :cool:

DH, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you didn't hack the e-mail I sent to Digger yesterday afternoon, putting-up Twinlight as the pick. :p :D

Back