The 2014 World Hurdle

I would be in no hurry to back TNO against More of That - he is an extraordinarily talented horse and in reality a novice .

I didn't feel that Annie really knew how to put her head down and fight, though maybe she was just out classed. The winner was very impressive.

Great to see Big Buck's come home safe and sound and immediately retire, I hope he has a long and happy one.

Nx

at 2.5 on a flat track though?

He is improving hand over fist - look at his defeat of Salubrious and Glen's Melody over 2m 4f he pissed up that day .

I thought he was the real unknown quantity in the race - I am kicking myself for being convinced by Eastlake that he would be unlikely to stay as apparently other relatives stay all day also after the Relkeel Jonjo even mentioned the Champion Hurdle on Timeform radio but laughed about JP having enough for that race.

The way he picked up and beat Annie Power giving her 7lb was highly impressive and he does not lack speed - also for all the fact she has had so many penalty kicks this year he had only run four times and one a long time ago in an egg and spoon race at Folkestone.

Not to be underestimated if he turns up in the Aintree hurdle and he might if they decide to let AFC have his day in the Liverpool Hurdle .

Last edited:
I was on More Of That (horses are often unbeaten for good reason, couldn't pass up the prices offered!) and had a little on Big Buck's too. I didn't fancy Annie Power at those ridiculous odds. I honestly thought she ran a blinder though... AP was ill at ease before the race and I wonder if it would have turned out differently if she was a bit more settled.

Don't think it was Ruby's greatest ride ever.

Straw clutching in my opinion. She settled pretty quickly travelled and jumped well and had More of That missed the race as appeared possible earlier this week should would be being hailed to the skies.

She was just beaten by a better horse with a terrific engine.

I'm not a Mullins fan, but I don't get the negativity. He runs his horses against each other consistently all year. AP stayed. What did they do wrong? Why did he get what he deserved? Did I miss something?

More of That looks good. Have they ruled out fences next year?

I'm not a Mullins fan, but I don't get the negativity. He runs his horses against each other consistently all year. AP stayed. What did they do wrong? Why did he get what he deserved? Did I miss something?

More of That looks good. Have they ruled out fences next year?

I, and others, feel the best race for her was either the Champion or the Mares race. Same with Un de Sceaux, who should have run in the Champion. Mullins protected Quevega and Hurricane Fly with his running plans.

Mullins and Annie Power saved the World Hurdle and Day 3 being complete shite.

Well if she had not run and More of that had won 7 lengths he would no doubt be being crabbed because she was not there.

I have to say after today I suspect she would have been fourth at best in the CH .

Day 3 is becoming a great day - three G1 races and only six races and the only day without one of the three crap padding races .

I agree. Nice balance to the card

I do not believe ap would have won or even perhaps got close in the champion. At ascot she won very nicely but even over that distance just took a little time to get going. Maybe my eyes on the day deceive me (funny how this stuff sticks with you more when viewed live) but that was my first thought

It's barely ever tried but it would be a very unusual hurdler that would be as effective at 2 and 3 at that level. Ap is very effective at 3

Surprised nobody has mentioned the fact that Annie Power didn't settle, she pulled way too hard.
That's her and MTOY that have got me chinned this week for not settling!

annie power is very good, but more of that is better, and possibly much better. he travelled as well as ap all through the race and was resolute when it mattered, he put the race to bed well, and was still a touch green i believe there is plenty to come and the way he travelled i think he could well give tno a race at aintree. any one who thinks ap was in the wrong race is stupid, without the winner she would have beat at fishers cross 5l she was just beaten by a top class stayer rated 160 after just 4 runs, he could literally be anything.

Not according to Nicholls. He said in his blog that they contacted Walsh & McCoy and neither "could or would commit".

The only thing I can read between the lines is that Big Buck's is finished.

This came back to haunt me. I let my heart rule my head the other day.

This came back to haunt me. I let my heart rule my head the other day.

Hardly DO - Walsh knew AP was likely to run and McCoy knew JP would have a runner .

I was wrong in that I thought he would come on from the Cleeve - there is a possibility that running him there in that bog and giving him such a hard race finished him

Day 3 is becoming a great day - three G1 races and only six races and the only day without one of the three crap padding races .

Full of plodders. No race at 2m. The least important all aged G1's.

I'm not so keen.

Tuesday is still the best day in my mind.

Full of plodders. No race at 2m. The least important all aged G1's.

I'm not so keen.

Tuesday is still the best day in my mind.

I agree that it is imbalanced . I would swop the Fred Winter for the Pertemps . The FW might be safer on the New Course too .

I, and others, feel the best race for her was either the Champion or the Mares race. Same with Un de Sceaux, who should have run in the Champion. Mullins protected Quevega and Hurricane Fly with his running plans.

But she had no chance in the CH. and he rightly thought Annie would kick BBs arse...just a shame that More Of That put in a slightly better performance.

She's too good for the Mares race.

But she had no chance in the CH. and he rightly thought Annie would kick BBs arse...just a shame that More Of That put in a slightly better performance.

She's too good for the Mares race.

Why is it a shame ? She was beaten by a better horse end of story.

I was surprised by that footage of Ruby doing something quite sentimental and giving Big Buck's a big pat down at the start.

Why is it a shame ? She was beaten by a better horse end of story.

I was surprised by that footage of Ruby doing something quite sentimental and giving Big Buck's a big pat down at the start.

a shame for those of us that backed Annie! I agree More of That was the better horse on the day.

Back