The 2015 2-y-o thread.

Colin Phillips

At the Start
Is it OK to post about the Flat now that Chelters has been and gone?

For those that are interested here are some of the stallions whose offspring will be strutting their stuff for the first time this year:

CANFORD CLIFFS (OR 127) winner of the Queen Anne from Goldikova.

DICK TURPIN (122) winner of the Jean Prat by four lengths from Siyouni.

DREAM AHEAD (126) beat Goldikova in the Prix de la Foret.

DREAM EATER (116) third to Goldikova in the Queen Anne.

EASTERN ANTHEM (117) winner of a Sheema Classic.

FROZEN FIRE (114) winner of the 2008 Irish Derby.

GEORDIELAND (110) won Group 2 Henry II by five lengths.

LILBOURNE LAD (111) second in 2011 Middle Park.

MASTEROFTHEHORSE (114) third to Sea The Stars in 2009 Derby.

POET'S VOICE (115) narrow winner from Rip Van Winkle in Queen Elizabeth II.

POUR MOI (-) winner of 2011 Derby.

RODERIC O'CONNOR (117) just over two lengths second to Frankel in 2010 Dewhurst.

WOOTTON BASSETT (110) comfortable win in 2010 Group 1 Grand Criterium.

ZOFFANY (118) close-up second to Frankel in 2011 St. Jame's Palace.

I haven't been able to find a market for Top First Season Sire, if anyone comes across some betting it would be appreciated if it could be posted on here.

Last edited:
I wonder how Canford Cliffs will get on....he was a bit of an unusual type himself but very talented and a fav of mines..Can't help thinking they'll be a few long legged green ones among them

Wouldn't mind a few bob on his stable companion Dick Turpin

Would like to get involved in this market for a good lumpy season long bet, give a good interest in the maidens.

Questions I would like answered first though,

Which horse has covered the most mares/has the most 2yos in training do we think?
Which horse was the highest rated 2yo?
Which horse ran the most as a 2yo/ran the earliest in the season?
Does it go on individual winners or prize money? Maybe a market for both?

Sea the Stars is probably a bit of proof that some sires have offspring that need time.

There is normally a market for both, Del.

I can pull together answers for all but the numbers of mares each has covered, did look but couldn't find.

I'll post the numbers later.

ps that's not a full list.

Last edited:
The figures you were interested in, Del.

CANFORD CLIFFS (RPR) 118 (NUMBER OF RUNS @ 2) 3 (DATE OF FIRST RUN) May 15

DICK TURPIN 114 - 6 - June 8

DREAM AHEAD 125 - 4 - July 16

DREAM EATER 103 - 8 - May 25

EASTERN ANTHEM 84 - 1 - October 18

FROZEN FIRE 92 - 2 - August 8

GEORDIELAND 76 - 3 - August 9

LILBOURNE LAD 112 - 8 - April 16

MASTEROFTHEHORSE 111 - 4 - June 23

POET'S VOICE 113 - 5 - July 8

POUR MOI 84 - 2 - September 23

RODERIC O'CONNOR 119 - 4 - June 10

WOOTTON BASSETT 120 - 5 - June 19

ZOFFANY 115 - 7 - April 18

ok, it's good to have a breeding thread on the forum.

CC 184 mares
Dick Turpin 84
Dream Ahead 134
Frozen Power 155
Lilbourne Lad 132
Poet's Voice 144
Pour Moi 148
Roderic O'Connor 135
Zoffany 194

2011 was my first year of following flat racing, Finally a few familiar names!

Frozen Power? Not that familiar with the horse but plenty of mares covered and could be of interest for most winners?

Any one with more info about this sire?

4k fee for this year and does not look an obvious choice for big stakes winners but would breeders have used this with the sole aim of winners on the track as 2yo's?

Hope this makes sense.....

Standing at Coolagown Stud near Fermoy it is more likely he has covered a mix of flat and NH mares.
His 2 year old win was at Gowran Park and his Irish Derby win was when the Cumani Curtain Call was badly hampered by a hanging APOBrien horse and FF came from a mile back to win. Hardly precocious but stranger things have happened..

I've not asked anyone that would know but Dream Ahead would probably be most likely to throw winners,

Edgt, that's Frozen Fire, who will have no chance in this competition. Frozen Power stands at Ballyhane Stud and he is the one who covered enough mares to give him a chance here.

I think there is no doubt Poet's Voice is the one who sired the most attractive offspring, but they might need more time than others and Dubawi has yet to prove himself as a good sire of sires, having been disappointed with Makfi. PV could be interesting in earnings table as he might sire a good one.
CC was probably the best two year old of the lot (alongside Dream Ahead) but both are from a very unsuccesfull male line. I have got my doubts about both of them on pedigree alone.
Pou Moi has got enough numbers, but they should need time and a few of his foals went to France.
ROC has sired some very good looking stock but his popularity has decreased very quickly lately.
LL is a very good looking sire whose sire line gives him every chance at this. Dangerous.
Zoffany is the one I like for number of winners table. Dansili has not had a very good start as sire of sires but the Zoffany's looked good, there are a lot of them and should be precocious.

Last edited:
I'm throwing my hand in for Zoffany and Dream Ahead. Poets Voice will be a later type except the Black Caviar esque filly from Tatts.

Last edited:
Sorry LBM; misread you !
Apologies

Edgt- no need to, I just wanted to clear that up, in case somebody is having a bet on it.

I agree Benny. I haven't got a strong view on it, but this year there are at least 5 or 6 candidates for the title, so my level on involvement will depend on prices available.

I have asked Paddy Power to price up the market. I'm guessing Zoffany will be a bit of a hot favourite given his numbers on the ground and the good reports about his stock.

I'm guessing Zoffany will be a bit of a hot favourite given his numbers on the ground and the good reports about his stock.

I have a tiny share in a Zoffany Colt with Hannon called Papa Luigi as part of a MPR syndicate.This was what they said recently..."We are of the opinion that this is just about the nicest yearling we have bought this season"

Not strictly the right place but has anyone in here got any views on the Brocklesby? Naturally working out a race of this type is heavily aided by looking at pedigrees and I quite like Powerallied of Richard Fahey's right now.

Back