The 2015 Crabbies Grand National

Some initial trainer reactions from ATR

John Kiely - Carlingford Lough (11st 10lb)
"That's interesting. The owner (JP McManus) and Frank Berry (his racing manager) will decide but I don't think it would be likely he'd run. The Gold Cup is his main aim and the horse is in good form."
Oliver Sherwood - Many Clouds (11st 9lb)
"I haven't had a runner in the National for ages, but 11st 9lb seems fair enough. Whether he's going to run will depend on Cheltenham. I think it will be unlikely unless something happens in the Gold Cup.
"On ratings I thought Many Clouds was the highest-rated horse, so I don't know why he's got 1lb less than the top weight (Carlingford Lough)."
Mouse Morris - First Lieutenant ( 11st 3lb)
"He's only put us up 1lb but those above us seem to be better off, if they run.
"I think he's a real National horse, so he'll definitely go. He's such a good jumper."
Robbie Hennessy - Rubi Light (10st 9lb)
"I couldn't say what the exact plan is at this moment, he could go to Thurles next week and then for a handicap at Cheltenham.
"He'll have an entry in the Topham and we'll make our minds up nearer the time. You never know if they are going to stay that far until you try.
"We've freshened him up and he lives outside now, he's never in a stable, and that seems to suit him. I was happy with him the last day and while he's not as good as he was, he was in no-man's land for a while with his rating but he has a chance again now."
Keith Reveley - Night In Milan (10st 9lb)
"Perfect. As long as one of the top ones stay in we'll stay below 11st and that was the sort of weight I was thinking of, which means James (Reveley) can ride him at a comfortable weight.
"He's in great form at the moment, he'll go for the Grimthorpe a week on Saturday and that gives him a month to recover which is just what he likes between his races.
"Even at nine he could still be improving and while he's not that well handicapped we know he is capable of competing off his mark.
"It's all about having a go, the owner is keen and the game is all about races likes this."
Robert Waley-Cohen - Oscar Time (10st 5lb)
"Obviously Oscar Time at the age of 14 will enjoy having as little weight as possible. He runs in the veterans' chase at Doncaster on Wednesday and that is the only run he's going to have between now and the National.
"He hasn't had a run since the Becher Chase. The intention is just to keep him mentally and physically sharp. He's in very good form."
Neil Mulholland - The Druids Nephew (10st 9lb)
"I'd be very happy with that. It's a nice weight and he's got a month to recover after Cheltenham, so he'll probably run.
"He'll go for the three-mile handicap on the Tuesday and he's in real good order, he might even be stronger.
"He's unexposed at staying trips, he ran a cracker at Cheltenham behind Sam Winner and then the Hennessy came too soon."
Peter Bowen - Al Co (10st 8lb)
"That looks OK. He'll definitely run, it's what we have trained him for all year.
"I'll probably give him one run beforehand, possibly over hurdles.
"He should get the trip as he's won a Scottish National, and he had a spin over the fences in the Becher and he seemed to take to them, the ground was just too soft.
"All we need is for it to dry up and he should run well."
Henry de Bromhead - Home Farm (11st 2lb)
"It sounds a nice weight. He seems good at the moment. We've just given him the entry at this stage."

I'm assuming Soll will have to win on Saturday in order to ensure he gets into this...

I like Duke Of Lucca also

Soll doesn't want to go left-handed, imo.......and I say that as someone who has done his plums on him on more than several occasions in staying handicap chases, so I know what I'm talking about.

He was my Lord of Illusion for the Noughties.

I was really keen on Alvarado last year, and he was finishing like a train. At 10 now the perfect age. He's due to run today and he only had one run last year, my worry is that he might be fragile as doesn't run very often, but the National has been the aim since last April according to sources close to the trainer.

I was really keen on Alvarado last year, and he was finishing like a train. At 10 now the perfect age. He's due to run today and he only had one run last year, my worry is that he might be fragile as doesn't run very often, but the National has been the aim since last April according to sources close to the trainer.

Will he get in?

he's like the reincarnation of State of Play

backed him last year myself. as ricko points out, looking at the weights this time around i think he'll struggle to get in

The problem with Alvarado is Paul Moloney.

For someone whose placing/completion record in the race is well above average, he rides tactically ineptly. He always manages to conspire to get his horse out of its ground. Alvarado last year was a classic example.

Having said that, Pineau De Re fairly hacked up.

I think Alvarado is a bit quirky and could spit the dummy out of the pram this year, albeit having taken to it really well last year. I'd still have to back him though, if I thought he would get in.

Agree Alvarado is quirky, and don't know how he ran today. Was gonna back him and Druids Nephew last night, then decided to wait. Now pricewise has gone and hyped them.
I can't find many angles on the modern Nationals other than it really must stay well.

Balthazar King must have a great chance off a 3lbs higher mark and properly targeted campaign this year. One concern is he will need good ground, so am waiting a little longer before diving in

Soll doesn't want to go left-handed, imo.......and I say that as someone who has done his plums on him on more than several occasions in staying handicap chases, so I know what I'm talking about.

He was my Lord of Illusion for the Noughties.

David Pipe says Soll will go to Newbury next weekend for a veterans' chase

Wouldn't you be worried that he went out like a light late on last year?

(He was on of several I backed in the race then.)

No, reminds me of Hedgehunter. Looked a non-stayer the year before he won but a year older and a bit stronger, more patiently ridden and he was an easy winner. I think if they are a bit more patient this time around he'll come there swinging and pull clear.

Speaking of Rocky Creek the second Le Reve is a fair animal who's never beat. 25/1 for the handicap on the Tursday at Cheltenham is a fair price.

Back