The 2015 Crabbies Grand National

I enjoy the spectacle of the race but seriously punting something with any real confidence is a complete minefield as you need so much luck in running.

Now we're getting somewhere...:)

You could come across a 10-runner handicap in which a good case could be made for each of the ten. All other things being equal (ie they are all at their best on the day, on the ground, have no problems during the race, etc), the best handicapped will win.

The question is, who decides which is the best handicapped?

I might have Arsehole top rated. Timeform might have Bampot top. RPRs might have Cuuntyhooks top. ORs will have the top weight - let's call him Dwarf (following age-old joke) - so he is considered the best horse.

They can't all win, as you say.

It's all down to interpretation.

(And I'm better than any of them :lol: )

A well handicapped horse often needs other things in its favour, not just the fact that it's well handicapped, before it will win..

Aye, like Briareus in Tote Trophy a few years ago... Newbury clerk of the course abandoned the meeting due to dangerous conditions.

The c*nt....:)

Last edited:
And Blue Bajan in the same race in 2008. Off 128, he was a 145+ horse on my figures and I was on him at stupid-to-one ante-post before others caught on and he went off at 5/1. Never got into the race but ran 6th in the Supreme, 2nd at Aintree and hacked up in the Swinton off 134. Three runs later he was 1L third to Harchibald in the Christmas Hurdle, earning an RPR of 158. Huurrrummmpphhh.

Lesson - if any of you backed an apparently well-fancied/backed runner in this year's race don't give up on it on the back of one disappointing run.

Last edited:
Aye, like Briareus in Tote Trophy a few years ago... Newbury clerk of the course abandoned the meeting due to dangerous conditions.

The c*nt....:)

I don't know why you keep going on about this one, Marb, given all you did was follow me in - yet you parade it every now and then like your pocket was picked.

Last edited:
Yes, I followed you in that day many moons ago on a horse that didn't run, I appreciated the tip at the time and that was perfectly clear.
No one is parading anything. Sorry you didn't find my post as amusing as when I was typing it.

Last edited:
To be fair.....I've let it go for long enough! :)

Hope you kept the faith and lumped-on in the Kingwell at 14/1.

I'm not afraid to nominate a horse who ran, for example, to 90 on its last run and is now rated 91 if I believe it is a 105 waiting to happen. It might only be a 90 horse on what we've seen but circumstance may lead me to believe it is actually much better than the bare form. If that's the case then I can say I think it is well handicapped.

That's a great point and forms the cornerstone of my handicap betting on the flat. Although I have to point out that when I came on here fully erect about Angel Gabrial's Plate chances you were one that poo pood his chance slightly because you doubted the Chester Cup form.

That's a great point and forms the cornerstone of my handicap betting on the flat. Although I have to point out that when I came on here fully erect about Angel Gabrial's Plate chances you were one that poo pood his chance slightly because you doubted the Chester Cup form.

Guilty as charged. :surrender:

Rocky Creek has been put up 9lb for Saturdays win now on 163.

Won't apply in the National, though (for those that weren't aware - I'm sure DG is).

However the racing media will be all over this nearer/on the day: "he's 9lbs well in" etc. (He won't have a penalty either.)

And there's been no shortage of examples in recent years of similarly well-in horses not doing well.

Last edited:
Just found out that Dr Newland is coming to our Grand National meeting. Can't wait to meet him!

The form of Spring Heeled beating Cause of Causes at last years Cheltenham Festival looks better now.

Spring Heeled has run well in some big races. He is a very interesting contender as his price of 20/1 indicates....I've never independently thought of the winner of this race!

Last edited:
Back