The 2015 Punchestown Festival

yeah looks like it's out to grass for the summer.

would appear the overrated champagne fever is going to make the market for others again. felix yonger interesting at 8s.

Felix Yonger looks sold each way in the Champion Chase.

I hope Mullins cleans up tomorrow as that might ensure a nice price for Road to Riches. Is it too simplistic to point out that he'd have beaten Djakadam in the Gold Cup if that race was a furlong shorter? I don't care, he should be favourite for Wednesday's race. Don Cossack is very short for a horse who ran at Cheltenham and Aintree and might not stay. Two horse race surely.

i'd be wary of backing any of the front 3. the gold cup was brutal and none would have felt that more than the first 3 home. don cossack has had a long season and don't think he's seen to his best over 3m anyway.

no idea what i'd oppose them with though.

I'm inclined to give Djak and RTR a wide birth after that slog all the way to the line in the Gold Cup.
Think Don will be a force in a King George but I also think this may be one run to many.

Tricky race to call but Ballynagour may well be my selection here.

I hope Mullins cleans up tomorrow as that might ensure a nice price for Road to Riches. Is it too simplistic to point out that he'd have beaten Djakadam in the Gold Cup if that race was a furlong shorter? I don't care, he should be favourite for Wednesday's race. Don Cossack is very short for a horse who ran at Cheltenham and Aintree and might not stay. Two horse race surely.

Way too simplistic, imo. :)
The race is unlikely to prove anything like the stamina test the Gold Cup was, and Djakadam breezed around until having to dig deep in the closing stages. He should have too much speed for RTR and too much class for Don Polli, and looks a solid bet at the current 5/2.
Can't buy into them leaving this race behind in the Gold Cup, either. It's 7 weeks ago, and 4th 5th and 6th have all performed well since - including winning a Grand National.

Way too simplistic, imo. :)
The race is unlikely to prove anything like the stamina test the Gold Cup was, and Djakadam breezed around until having to dig deep in the closing stages. He should have too much speed for RTR and too much class for Don Polli, and looks a solid bet at the current 5/2.
Can't buy into them leaving this race behind in the Gold Cup, either. It's 7 weeks ago, and 4th 5th and 6th have all performed well since - including winning a Grand National.

Yeah, Djakadam was travelling all over R2R at the top of the hill to be fair. With rain forecast anyway it looks a no bet race now.

I've had a small each way on Felix Yonger today. Suprised Townend has chosen Twinlight over him as Felix has his optimum conditions.

Felix Yonger is my favourite horse in training. Quirky, but has a lot of ability and a touch of class. Well touted when a novice hurdler as a future star, he didnt seem to fire as a novice chaser for whatever reason. Perhaps over-hyped. Time will tell.

My understanding is the horse had up a setback in December, after the Hilly Way. I had been backing him for the Champion Chase at big prices and as it turned out he would have had every right to be on the premises had he been given his chance.

I don't know if it was the setback or Willie thinking perhaps Cheltenham just doesn't suit him, but either way he comes here a fresh horse with a couple of confidence boosting wins behind him. It appears to me that his campaign has been shaped by that setback in December more so than by design.

As Euronymous points out, today is his optimum conditions. From following the horse and knowing his ability, I'm a little surprised at Ruby choosing Champagne Fever. However, i'm not surprised by his comments in the article above saying his decision was a toss of a coin.

I really hope today is the day he can add Grade 1 winner to his cv, although to be quite honest, on paper it appears a Grade 1 in name only. Unless Flemenstar came back to close to his best, or Champagne Fever to his very best, in the cold light of day we're looking at Grade 2 animals.

I rate Mallowney as Felix's greatest danger. While Felix gave him 6lb's in the Hilly Way, Mallowney looks an improving horse. However I believe so too is Felix. I've had a small reverse forecast with these 2 as well as getting rightly stuck in each way on Felix. That was last week at 10/1 and I was mightily relieved Willie didn't let Vautour take his chance.

I have little doubt it will be a cracking, competitive race whatever happens. Lets hope for no hard luck stories and that the best horse wins. HON FELIX!!!

That would be ideal - I suspect Peter would be reluctant to run him from out of the handicap but, if that were the option, it might depend on whether David Mullins was available. He would certainly like the (likely) better ground.
I've had a decent bet on Frontline. A very good e/w chance, imho.

Last edited:
I've had a decent bet on Frontline. A very good e/w chance, imho.

Just got back from the yard - he was popped over 6 hurdles this morning; cautiously optimistic I would say. Pleased you have your money on already Marble - the owners like to provide tangible support!

Haha it's no big problem if he loses for me personally, I'm well up on my betting over the past two weeks. My main priority is to donate some money to those pour souls out in Nepal.
If Frontline wins or places today I'll increase my donation.
My much loved cousin was out there recently.

Last edited:
What a nice ride by Nina there. She stacked the plodders up behind her and when she kicked going into the straight that was the end of it.

@WillieMullinsNH said of @punchestownrace winner Douvan: "He's probably, looking at him, as good as we've ever had."
touch of the aob's from willie

can't say i'd be opposing the horse whatever route he goes next season though

Sizing John is a fair horse to get within an asses roar of him

There are about 5 sizing's that I am really looking forward to next term, he is top of the class

Winner will surely go chasing given that they already have the CH

Soooooooooooooooooooo happy!!! HON FELIX!

Top ride by Danny. Confident, patient and strong! Delighted for the horse to land a Grade 1.

Good shout today, Hezz, I was cheering him home myself. He's always been a favourite of mine too.

Back