The 2016 Grand National

Paul Moloney on board Buywise
Happy with that, Accepting that he won't win I couldn't ask for a better pilot to get him in the places
His first 4 record in the last 7 years is second to none.

He should have won the last two. Gutted Alvarado hasn't got in.

He should have won the last two. Gutted Alvarado hasn't got in.

I don't think it's unreasonable to argue he could/should have won on at least one of State Of Play's races too.

As one of the Weekender correspondents said, he'll [Moloney] probably get round but in his own time...

I don't think it's unreasonable to argue he could/should have won on at least one of State Of Play's races too.

As one of the Weekender correspondents said, he'll [Moloney] probably get round but in his own time...

Especially two years ago on Alvarado, he was finishing like an absolute train and made up so much ground from the last fence, if he had been nearer all the way.....................

I agree, he will get round but in his own time.

Im waiting for the inspiration that usually comes on Saturday morning for my main bet, but I will make far more stupid bets than Gilgamboa at 66/1 for the National. Eye keeps being drawn. Fifth in the Ryanair. Stormer in the Paddy Power off top weight and has always looked like a stayer with some speed to me. Cannot leave him unbacked at those odds.

I'm still 90% expecting Geraghty to switch to Gallant Oscar overnight, though. :ninja:

I've taken 26 on the machine about Shutthefrontdoor with the thought that having Barry up top will make all the difference compared to a revved up AP 12 months ago. That and having a prep outing, even if he was PU.

Gilgamboa a real old fashioned chaser with Roman Nose in the mould of those old pictures of Easter Hero , Golden Miller, Finnure, etc
Amazing he had the speed to win a Boylesports Hurdle not so long ago; interesting for sure and Enda will have him well schooled.

Last edited:
I have Gilgamboa quite highly rated but won't be backing him as I have too many concerns about his stamina.

Two runs at around 3m - comments: "no impression after [2 out], ... one pace" and "...after 4 out travelling well... headed before last... weakened closing stages".

Returned to 2m5f in the Ryanair next time he put up a career best RPR 166. Before those two runs (RPR 155 & 145) he had RPR 161 over 2m4f.

Yeah. He is 66/1 for a reason. The two runs at 3m were in grade 1 and in bottomless ground. He might very well not stay, and there are lots of which can be criticised on those grounds, including many at shorter prices. On balance, for me, at 66/1 it isn't a bad bet to find out.

Yeah. He is 66/1 for a reason. The two runs at 3m were in grade 1 and in bottomless ground. He might very well not stay, and there are lots of which can be criticised on those grounds, including many at shorter prices. On balance, for me, at 66/1 it isn't a bad bet to find out.

Hope he justifies your faith, HW, as long as he doesn't beat any of mine!
hi.gif

How many do you have in your current portfolio?

Hmmm... that's a very interesting choice of words, HW :ninja:

To answer the question, my approach is to try to snaffle value ante-post with the hope of laying off so I obviously end up backing plenty but some don't get a run (eg Midnight Prayer) but I have 8 runners so far, headed by the first bet I made, Holywell at 33/1 the day the weights came out.

Hmmm... that's a very interesting choice of words, HW :ninja:

To answer the question, my approach is to try to snaffle value ante-post with the hope of laying off so I obviously end up backing plenty but some don't get a run (eg Midnight Prayer) but I have 8 runners so far, headed by the first bet I made, Holywell at 33/1 the day the weights came out.

I'm going in with a large bet on Holywell taking advantage of the bet365 offer. With half your stakes returned they are effectively 28/1.

Back