The 2021 Grand National

Maybe he's finished, but they wouldn't have wanted to leave the XC behind after three mile slog over hurdles. Almost certainly Keith would have been told to look after him in that ground.

Who knows either way apart from a small number of people, but you'd hardly be rushing to back him right now when he has so much to prove. What I will say is if he lines up you'd be sure he's okay and they think he's going there with a chance, otherwise they'd buy time and save him for the National.

I've got him as minimal cover for my position on Easysland in multiples and RAB's, so I'll hold for now and wait for the drums to start beating one way or the other.

Tiger Roll ran to no rating yesterday. I get it that it was a nothing run but there was no positives to take out of it.

He'll run badly in the xcountry and be retired. I'd make him a 4/1 chance at this stage to run at aintree

Sent from my SM-J415FN using Tapatalk

Said the same after last years cross-country. Valid reason given how the horses are finishing today.
Yes he did and I was the first to mention it as I was standing by the rails as he came back in and heard them talking about it. So valid point. He’s a little horse and ground wise would be inconvenienced.

I've gone in again, more heavily, on Lord du Mesnil at 40/1 without the NRNB concession. I reckon only mishap will prevent him from running in the race and I'll be very surprised if he goes up any less than 8lbs for today's win.

I'm very surprised. The handicapper has only put LDM up 5lbs for his win. I think that's very lenient but it won't really matter on the day other than maybe not affecting his price as much as it might otherwise have done.

He should still be among the market leaders.

It looked a strong race beforehand even though only two of them had GN entries and the other, Achille, who kept him company up the run-in, had no chance of making the cut. The runner-up in a very strong Welsh National was well there until late too.

Achille has gone up 4lbs and will be very competitive in the likes of the Midlands National or or Ayr one if it turns up soft.

Posting on the retirements and departures thread got me thinking.

Tiger Roll will be 12 at the end of this year.

If he runs no race at Cheltenham the owners should retire him. Racing doesn't want to see a dual grand national winner completely out of form trying the world's most dangerous steeplechase at his age.

If he runs a shocker at Cheltenham, retire him, I say.

Open the betting shops too early and it could cost tens of thousands of lives.

I'd much rather the bookies stay closed and the race be run as planned.

Open the betting shops too early and it could cost tens of thousands of lives.

I'd much rather the bookies stay closed and the race be run as planned.

Betting shops are no more dangerous than supermarkets

They can be open safely and shops have a lot more staff working on national day to police the amount of people in the shop at any one time

You sound like a right Lockdown Larry

Thank god your not prime minister we'd be stuck in our houses forever

Betting shops are no more dangerous than supermarkets

They can be open safely and shops have a lot more staff working on national day to police the amount of people in the shop at any one time

You sound like a right Lockdown Larry

Thank god your not prime minister we'd be stuck in our houses forever

Sounds like you're turning this into a personal attack.

Stick to facts..

The first lockdown got deaths down to zero in most places the summer.

They reopened the schools, infection rates sky-rocketed.

They opened the universities, they went up another level.

They got them under some kind of control again by Decmeber.

The PM decided he didn't want to be the Christmas grinch - allowed mass travel, rates sky rocketed and, two months later, we're only just getting things back under control thanks in no small part to the vaccine but having lost another 50,0000 souls.

Supermarkets are essential. Betting shops are not.

That said, I imagine if proper social distancing controls are in place once-a-year GN punters will not be arsed to queue up round the block to put 50p each-way on a 20/1 shot. Most betting shops will probably only be able to take three or four people at a time and GN day is the busiest day of the year for them.

I think reality checks are in order.

I've taken Beware The Bear 100/1 to 5 places. He went up to 158 for winning the 2019 Ultima and later that calendar year was a close, staying-on fourth in the Hennessy/Ladbroke off that mark.

He's down to 153, just 2lbs above his Ultima mark so he's entitled to be on the premises and Hendo has said more than once he sees him as a National type. If the likes of Bristol De Mai stand their ground he'll get in under 11-0.

I've gone in again on this one (100/1, 5pl). He's entered in the Grimthorpe - a good trial race - this Saturday. He'll be top weight but there are only 11 in at this stage and he can afford to run his race without leaving too much behind for Aintree with five weeks in which to recover. His best eight RPRs were gained at trips of this nature on left-handed tracks on ground from good to heavy. I would be slightly concerned about fast ground come Saturday but only because I wouldn't want him to jar up. There's no chance the ground will be better than GS at Aintree - they'll water to ensure 'soft' appears somewhere in the description.

I reckon if he runs well - he doesn't have to win - on Saturday he'll halve in price. If he wins easily he could end up among the favourites.

Tiger Roll withdrawn over unfair weight.

That's great news. Let the old boy have a happy retirement.

No one wants to see a badly out of form horse at his age have to go for a third national off a big weight especially after the publicity the stable are getting.

Glad that Tiger looks to be getting out the game in one piece.

Last edited:
Nah, just O'Leary acting the arse. He knew it couldn't win, which isn't the same as 'unfair weight'.

Easier to say that and blame the BHA for its being taken out.

He'll have several others whose weight he'll be very happy with.

Is the news 'official', by the way?

I'm not seeing it on any of the racing sites.

Could it be an exercise in deflection?

Back