The 2021 Grand National

I have to say I was very disappointed in the effort of my 100/1 GN horse.
CABARET QUEEN not even Rachael could get her interested in the mares chase.

My other 100/1 chance is THE JAM MAN. Stop laughing DO

I'm prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt, DO.

If he'd been pulled up I'd view it differently, but at least he got round.

He's lightly raced enough and young enough to turn things around.

As you say, there must be a doubt about his participation though, so we'll see what Nicky Henderson says nearer the time.

Looking at past quotes for Henderson on Pym. He does say the horse wants good ground. So that's one thing he'd need.

Pym needs small fields.

I saw a quote from Henderson that he liked small fields.

He certainly has a good record in them.

I can't work out why he'd even given him an entry in this if a small field was a necessity?

They might aswell retire the horse now if they don't want to run him in large fields. He'll never win a decent prize.

Mind you, as a youngster over hurdles Henderson also said he didn't want 'rattling quick' ground.

A year or two later when he was beaten in two graded novice chases, (one in a small field), Henderson pointed to the ground being soft as to why the horse ran poorly. He then said Pym wants good ground.

Hence, I wouldn't take the small fields thing as gospel...

I'll await the news/entries.

Last edited:
If Rachael Blackmore rides Minella Times what price does it go off?

Does she often ride for JP in Ireland?

Wouldn't Mark Walsh get first refusal on the ride?

Edit - come to think of it, whatever she eventually opts for is going to collapse in price.

Last edited:
Cheers, DG.

Just looking at how things stand, I reckon 142 (there's nothing on 143) will have a better than expected chance of making the cut.

That would bring the following into consideration which I'd dismissed so far:

Diese Aba
Jerrysback
Kauto Riko
Saturnas
Fagan
Golan Fortune
Valtor

That's their current order in the weights. If any of them show improved form soon they might leapfrog to the head of the list.

Cloth cap needs decent ground, so you’re possibly taking a price on the weather if you back him now. I must admit he’s a likely winner if he does get his conditions. If there’s enough juice in the ground I like kimberlite candy

Cloth cap needs decent ground, so you’re possibly taking a price on the weather if you back him now. I must admit he’s a likely winner if he does get his conditions. If there’s enough juice in the ground I like kimberlite candy

Bookmakers have now slashed the odds for this Easter becoming the hottest on record from 5/1 to 2/1.

Approx 14 ml of rain expected on Friday...that day apart, all the other days added together won't equal 14ml over the next two weeks. Enjoy the heat wave folks.

Last edited:
They also massively over water at Aintree, so if it does rain unexpectedly then he's toast.

This.

It has cost a lot of Hendo's horses their chances down the recent years. That's not to say they would have won but their chances have been massively diminished since the policy began.

Bookmakers have now slashed the odds for this Easter becoming the hottest on record from 5/1 to 2/1.

Approx 14 ml of rain expected on Friday...that day apart, all the other days added together won't equal 14ml over the next two weeks. Enjoy the heat wave folks.

We're still waiting for the snow bomb they forecast last month

I've a nice position on Cloth Cap and while I was okay topping that up at c. 6/1 and 13/2 he's now slightly too short this far out and is likely to be at least 4/1 on the morning and with better place terms.

I already have some decent cover on Any Second Now so have been happy adding a third selection as Kimberlite Candy can be boosted to 18/1 with Betfair (max £37.50 e/w per day) and while the 5 places doesn't compete with the likely 7 or even 8 on the day, his price surely will. Especially so if one or more of the fancied Irish runners take up their Fairyhouse entry.

Surely Kimberlite Candy's odds nearer/on the day will depend a lot on who rides?

If one of JP's main jockeys ends up on one of the others KC might be ignored to an extent.

I don't imagine there will be the same clamour for what should probably no longer be referred to as the "housewives' choice" but I would expect bookmakers to manufacture false gambles to sucker punters in to taking poor value about horses that have been bummed up along the way by ITV.

There will almost certainly be 'the Rachael factor' and 'the Bryony factor' but no doubt the people behind the scenes at ITV will be researching what will end up feelgood/fairytale scenarios that 'make good TV'.

You know, the nurse who recovered from Covid but then went blind and got a guide dog called Hogan and wouldn't it just be 'wonderful for the sport' if Hogan's Heights won the Grand National...

Last edited:
Dec stage for the Irish National tomorrow. If Minella Times is scratched expect to see the Minella Times price collapse again.

Balko Des Flos been sold for £110,000 on the Goffs Online March Sale today and stays in De Bromhead's yard to be readied for the GN

Balko Des Flos been sold for £110,000 on the Goffs Online March Sale today and stays in De Bromhead's yard to be readied for the GN
Gigginstown have managed to get incredible prices for rejects just before the national.

Don Poli went for mad money a couple of years ago

Sent from my SM-J415FN using Tapatalk

Back