The Arc 2019 discussion thread

It would still be a remarkable achievement. Though I'm veering towards Ghaiyyath now - Haven't checked but I think Marienbard also took in the race at Baden Baden.

Go easy on Flaggers, Sim. This isn't wikipedia, mistakes are allowed.

Interesting to see your analysis, Flaggers.

I hope to see more of your contributions on this thread, it's lonely at the top. :)

Last edited:
Waldgiest 33's with Lads according to Oddschecker at present.

Last edited:
Waldgiest 33's with Lads according to Oddschecker at present.

Oddschecker has been getting increasingly unreliable lately. Still showing 33/1 with Lads but only 14/1 actually available

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This isn't wikipedia, mistakes are allowed.
I also wasn't allowed to bet when Marienbard won it :lol:

Haha - it's my favourite race in the year. Go with the wife every year and last year, WilsonL came with us, great craic! Just wish it was back at Chantilly, but will give Longchamp another go this year.

Interesting thing I heard yesterday on the Racing Postcast, about Ghaiyyath going well fresh and they weren't sure it is a long enough break for him.... Another bit of food for thought.
You can still get 16/1 about Waldgeist and the more I think about it, unless the ground is a bog, he has a track we know he likes, he probably won't beat the Queen but you know you will get a run for your money at 16/1...

I vowed never to go to Arc day again after the complete mess the made of the revamp. If attendees this year could post their experiences it might help to know the Frenchies are restoring sanity.

I vowed never to go to Arc day again after the complete mess the made of the revamp. If attendees this year could post their experiences it might help to know the Frenchies are restoring sanity.

That's a shame; our Arc weekend was one of the highlights of my life.

I'd love to have a decent sized each way bet on Waldgeist nearer the race, which I'll do provided I get a good win between now and race day.

The two I put up on the other thread today could make it one of those days. We will see what happens.

Last edited:
I've yet to start looking at this one, but has anyone looked at how the decs have performed in the mooted trial races for this?
The Prix Foy is purported by some to be a trial race but looking at past winners of both it doesn't look like it to me.

Anyone watch Waldgeist, was he impressive?

Bookies have shortened him up so I'm guessing he won well.

won well enough but i was more impressed with sottsass who will probably carry my money next month

... but i was more impressed with sottsass who will probably carry my money next month

It is hard to judge Sottsass, as he never really faced decent opponents (apart from Persian King). He at least improved the Jockey Club record by almost three seconds!

What I do not understand is, why many are so excited about Waldgeist? He got several times clearly beaten by Enable and never ever run a race that looked like a future Arc winner.

I am far more impressed by Ghaiyyath. Okay, he (probably) did not face great opponents on his 14 length GP Baden victory, but handicappers made him third in the World’s Best Racehorse Rankings, just two points behind Enable. He got 88 Speed-Punkte (something like Beyer Speed Figures) for his Baden success and I cannot remember I've seen a higher figure. Anyway, the second and third of the GP Baden (Donjah and German Derby winner Laccario) will run on Sunday in the Preis von Europa (G1, 2,400m) against Best Solution. Maybe that will help to judge Ghaiyyath's performance?

Hi Sea The Moon. I am excited about the race. As I said in my opening submission, I would be happy for Gosden and Dettori if Enable won again but I thought Waldgeist was a decent each way hope.

Donjah, second in the GP Baden, got beaten by Aspetar by 3 length in the Preis von Europa today. What does that say about Ghaiyyath?
Aspetar won the GP de Chantilly (G2), but was well behind Coronet in the GP de Saint-Cloud (G1) afterwards. That Aspetar now easily beat Donjah does not speak in favour of the German horses (and Ghaiyyath). Still, Ghaiyyath won the GP Baden by 14 length. Hmm...?

Despite be head of the Enable fan club, Im still with Marb. If you want to have a decent bet in the race, you know Waldgeist will run his race, he will get the ground he likes, at a track he likes. Each way bet to nothing for me, especially as you'll probably get 4 places on the day.
Having said that, I probably won't have a win or ew bet in the race, will just watch her win hopefully. However, I will probably play the tricasts/box exactas with Enable, Japan, Sotsass and Waldgeist (can't see Magical running) but after another small look last night, I may add Star Catcher or Coronet depending on who joins the filly!

Will let you know AC!
I like you felt the same. It was a huge let down! Especially after 2 fantastic years at Chantilly which if anyone hasn't been but loves racing, you will love, even if there is no racing on. If Enable wasn't going for 3 in a row, I doubt I would have been going this year.

Thanks Flaggers.

Waldgeist - 12s after his trial win and now 23s on Betfair. Anybody know why?

Last edited:
Wouldn't worry too much, An.

As Luke has been alluding to, he's been uneasy on the exchanges for a while.

Why not take the 23's ?

Last edited:
Best of luck, An.

Based on his Ascot third in the King George, the faster they go the more it will suit him.

What happens in the betting on the day of the race will be interesting too.

What will the serious money come for? Will they allow Waldgeist to start double figure prices?

Is it a one horse race? The fact there's four or five lively opponents to Enable tells me it's not.

Last edited:
Back