The Arc 2019 discussion thread

I hope they retire Enable now and preserve her memory as it currently shines as I think in posterity she may be seen as the 'Beef or Salmon' of the flat. She won a lot of small field average Group One's, mostly beating the same horse (s), without ever really establishing true greatness.

Spot on
I agree

Enable was a marvellous mare
very consistent and she is not guilty of being overrated

She is not in the top 5 mares in my list in recent years

first to come to mind without reserching better than her could be
Danedream
Treve
Zarkava
Goldikova
Winx
Black Caviar
Vodka

Interesting comparison with Danedream. Both top class so naturally as fillies with the excessive wfa they were both wildly impressive in their 3yo years as Arc winners. Their KG's as older fillies/mares look similar also. Enable just besting CO and Danedream scoring narrowly from Enable's father with Waldgeist and SNA in third. I would rate Waldgeist as better than Nicholas though. Ratings wise I'd go:

Zarkava 134
Goldikova 133
Treve 130
Enable 130
Danedream 129

dunno about the Aussie fillies.

Interesting comparison with Danedream. Both top class so naturally as fillies with the excessive wfa they were both wildly impressive in their 3yo years as Arc winners. Their KG's as older fillies/mares look similar also. Enable just besting CO and Danedream scoring narrowly from Enable's father with Waldgeist and SNA in third. I would rate Waldgeist as better than Nicholas though. Ratings wise I'd go:

Zarkava 134
Goldikova 133
Treve 130
Enable 130
Danedream 129

dunno about the Aussie fillies.

I would certainly have Zarkava and Treve above Enable. Not sure about Zarkava being four clear of Treve? Treve was some sight in her 1st Arc.

I love Enable but I really, really hope they call it a day. Nothing left to prove and absolutely no point going to America. If she went and won, so what? We know she is a great mare. If she went and lost, everyone would say she shouldn't have gone, but she is still a great mare and racehorse.

I love Enable but I really, really hope they call it a day. Nothing left to prove and absolutely no point going to America. If she went and won, so what? We know she is a great mare. If she went and lost, everyone would say she shouldn't have gone, but she is still a great mare and racehorse.

Couldn’t agree more.

I would certainly have Zarkava and Treve above Enable. Not sure about Zarkava being four clear of Treve? Treve was some sight in her 1st Arc.

Treve was full value for her winning margin that day whereas Zarkava burst clear later on in her renewal.

To be fair he was responsible for Live Aid, the Iraq War, and turning around the global recession, so his involvement in this doesn't surprise me.

Illogical from a financial/welfare point of view. Completely logical for an ageing owner who enjoys the sport on its own merits.

Illogical from a financial/welfare point of view. Completely logical for an ageing owner who enjoys the sport on its own merits.

Totally agree with the first sentence.
Surprised the owner has done it as he has had the glory with her and would have weighed up her going through another season for basically one race. She had a hard year this year, and could get that ground again next October, plus some mares have just had enough when they get to her age. If she gets beaten before Paris, wouldn't be surprised at all if they decide not to go for it.

If she gets beaten before Paris, wouldn't be surprised at all if they decide not to go for it.

Sorry...this is hypothetical nonsense. Al Capalli is right.

It was Khalid Abdullah's decision and who are we to advise him or think differently.

Sorry if that comes across as patronising but I do think the last line of yours is not logical.

Last edited:
Sorry...this is hypothetical nonsense. Al Capalli is right.

It was Khalid Abdullah's decision and who are we to advise him or think differently.

Sorry if that comes across as patronising but I do think the last line of yours is not logical.

Thinking differently from other people is always permitted.

It's logical in my world.
She's only staying in training to go for the Arc. Nothing else. No point in winning another Eclipse. She's made that point. Or the King George V1 and QE. She's made that point. Or a Yorkshire Oaks. She's made that point.
She gets beaten in the Eclipse by a length. She gets beaten by the Derby winner by 2 lengths in the KG....what's the point of carrying on, and if the ground comes up as it did this year, why would you? It's not fair on her and besides which she already has absolutely NOTHING to prove.
And your post is extremely patronising.
Oh and if I happen to bump into Khalid at the races, I'll tell him I think so if that's okay?

Last edited:
Back