The Bumpers Thread

At Catterick yesterday there was a nice performance on debut by JOHNNY OG, going clear of the useful Vinstar (5/4f). in the last furlong.

Last edited:
City Slicker or Captain Cutter for the Festival Bumper? I would have thought as he is rising 6 and Henderson usually appears reluctant to target the race it would be unlikely Captain Cutter would be the one but we are halfway through the season so he couldn't have anything more than two runs over hurdles should he be aimed at something like the Neptune. As regards today quite impressive in winning on ground that was probably much softer than ideal although the Pipe horse didn't look entirely straightforward under pressure.

City Slicker despite being one the favourites for the Festival bumper entered in novice hurdles this weekend. Coolmore and Mullins their usual helpful selves in keeping punters in the picture.

I was impressed with Sizing Tennessee today.

Patrick Mullins could have had this winners bumper sown up early if he'd sent him on leaving the back straight, but it looked to me that he wanted to educate the horse by making him wait for his opposition until they turned into the straight, four horses abreast. He outkicked decent enough opponents and won convincingly anyway.

City Slicker despite being one the favourites for the Festival bumper entered in novice hurdles this weekend. Coolmore and Mullins their usual helpful selves in keeping punters in the picture.

Runs in what might be a decent novice at Leopardstown tomorrow. If something wins nicely they will probably get a Cheltenham quote - the sort of horse the bookmakers love at this stage having already pocketed any City Slicker bumper money. Foxrock my pick but definitely no bet with Mark Walsh on board.

I was impressed with Sizing Tennessee today.

Patrick Mullins could have had this winners bumper sown up early if he'd sent him on leaving the back straight, but it looked to me that he wanted to educate the horse by making him wait for his opposition until they turned into the straight, four horses abreast. He outkicked decent enough opponents and won convincingly anyway.

I agree-bumpers aren't my thing but I like this one.

Red Sherlock, a brother to the unbeaten Swing Bowler out of the top racemare Lady Cricket just romped home from at least two very well regarded geldings in Towcester's finale.

Martin

There's quite a bumper happening today at Sandown. As the betting suggests, there are plenty with chances. What sways me to go with Midnight Minx is that she battles, she has been kept for this race from a long way back and will probably step up significantly on her last run. I don't think conditions are ideal for her but maybe she can get away with them today, a lot of horses can once or twice.

Carole's Spirit did me a god turn last time out. Travelled well through the race and won nicely in the end. Won't desert her e.w. at 20's today.

Empiracle a non-runner due to a poor endoscopy result. Also has a minor leg infection. Absolutely gutted, but we have next season to look forward to.

That's a real shame Michael, thought you were a good thing. Here's hoping for a good campaign next season.

I'm very sorry to hear that, Michael, what lousy timing. There is still a lot to look foward to with him.

Thanks guys. Ground would probably not have been in his favour anyway. Trainer still hopeful of making Aintree, but that's by no means certain.

The original plan was Cheltenham followed by Punchestown. Not sure there would be sufficient gap if we go to Aintree. It will all depend on how quickly the horse gets over his current problem.

Damned unlucky, Michael! The anticipation of Cheltenham we all feel must be hugely magnified when your intended runner is one of the leading fancies. Hope consolation arrives soon.

Thank you TS. Over it now. Just think he's an exciting horse for next season (as Nick said today during his walk-back with Alice). I'll still enjoy being at Cheltenham as ever!

Empiracle a non-runner due to a poor endoscopy result. Also has a minor leg infection. Absolutely gutted, but we have next season to look forward to.

Very sad and hopefully it turns for the best Michael - I wish you and the horse all the best for next season

Back