The Bumpers Thread

Thought Champagne James ran well enough but had no answer to the change of pace that UNION DUES showed inside the final furlong.

Would be interesting if they faced up again and they went a proper clip. The former needs a fast pace as lacks a turn of foot but looks a real strong stayer.

A mares' bumper run in horrible conditions at Towcester but an easy win for TONVADOSA on debut. Eased right down close home she still won a long way, certainly bred for jumping, by Flemensfirth out of a Supreme Leader mare, it will be interesting to see what she does in more 'normal' conditions.

City Slicker or Captain Cutter for the Festival Bumper? I would have thought as he is rising 6 and Henderson usually appears reluctant to target the race it would be unlikely Captain Cutter would be the one but we are halfway through the season so he couldn't have anything more than two runs over hurdles should he be aimed at something like the Neptune. As regards today quite impressive in winning on ground that was probably much softer than ideal although the Pipe horse didn't look entirely straightforward under pressure.

Very disappointing - I didn't expect my question to end the regular updates.

Anyway from the recent bumpers a couple of unsuccessful bets that may be worth noting. You really do take your life in your hands with some of the jocks in these events. In the extended Leopardstown bumper there was money for Usuel Smurfer and he travelled as well anything before not appearing to get home which was hardly surprising given he was never properly settled and had no cover. On better ground and possibly over a shorter trip no surprise if he were to prove the best of this bunch. At a lower level Fureys Cross was much too big at Corals 40/1 for what looked a moderate Limerick mares bumper. Unfortunately, having shown more than a hint of promise held up on debut jockey completely changed tactics and she was a spent force turning in. If the debut tactics are repeated she should improve on this but the problem will be finding a similar poor race.

Looks a reasonable bumper at Leopardstown today and although the favourite may try to pinch it from the front the two I like best are O Maonlai and Somethingwonderful.

Just haven't seen much to comment on, Treetangle.

I thought OUTLANDER won nicely at Leopardstown yesterday, following up a previous easy win at the track in early December.

Not sure about yesterday's race, I think it pretty much fell apart with the three horses supported to beat the favourite disappointing to various degrees. O Maonlai never really travelled (form on soft but for the most part looked as if he was running on glue) and perhaps given his two month absence Somethingwonderful may improve for the run.

Only watched it back yesterday but more impressed with Moyle Park's Boxing Day win. Similarly to Usuel Surfer he raced quite freely but in total contrast saw his race out particularly well.

Last edited:
The mare's bumper that closed the year's racing at Punchestown was won in facile style by OUR POLYANNA, making all at a very slow pace early on and then pulling away in the straight. By Flemensfirth out of a Kahyasi mare she is bred for the game but her half-sister finished plum last on her only run at Bangor.

She has size and stays well, this was over 2m.2f., so she could turn out to be decent.

Nice debut by GUANCIALE at Exeter yesterday. He was always prominent, travelling well, and then forged ahead in the straight, did show signs of greenness inside the final furlong. Connections think he'll make a nice chaser.

EMPIRACLE very impressive when winning at Huntingdon on Tuesday. Looked a nice big gelding on the television pictures, cantering as he approached the final furlong won with a lot in hand. Looks to have a future.

interestingly after end of racing today trainer and jockey (especially as they had just won a group 1 race) stated this was the best horse in the stable and being intentionally saved for the festival

Last edited:
Golantilla very impressive at Cork

Yes, a taking performance and looks as if he should appreciate better ground. As ever you have to wonder as to the quality of opposition. From the family of Dubacilla/Princess Camilla must be a possibility he will be sold on.

According to the RP he left the ring unsold at Brightwells last month, at £190,000. How much can he be worth?

Imagine he'll be sent back to the sales now Grey - he's a homebred by O'Brien who had a great day with Wilde Wit Pleasure scoring for him too and he has the half-sister at home who's won on the track recently (Caoimhe's Delight) and it's the family of Dubacilla and Just So further back so you'd expect him to stay well enough.

Yes, a taking performance and looks as if he should appreciate better ground. As ever you have to wonder as to the quality of opposition. From the family of Dubacilla/Princess Camilla must be a possibility he will be sold on.

Rumour is to be sold on this week

What does Connell do? Is he a GP or in that line of work? Crazy money...

He's in an investment firm. Used to be in Merrion Capital and then went out on his own. rockview is the name of the business. One extremely good business investment is funding the whole show. He's only interested in horses good enough to win at Leopardstown at Christmas and the like and getting those horses costs money. He has it so why not.

Last edited:
Barry Connell is a stockbroker, but he might have other sources of loot for all I know.

Perhaps Colm Murphy will be asked to line up another Glam Gerry gamble to help pay for the new boy. Judging from its price the Christmas sales are already well and truly over.

He's in an investment firm. Used to be in Merrion Capital and then went out on his own. rockview is the name of the business. One extremely good business investment is funding the whole show. He's only interested in horses good enough to win at Leopardstown at Christmas and the like and getting those horses costs money. He has it so why not.

He was not smiling too much at Leop this Christmas.
I saw him leaving after the last race Sat and he could have stopped a clock.
More luck to the man though; he sponsored a series of bumper races a few years back and is spending some money to be fair to him.

Last edited:
Back