The Champion Hurdle 2010

Chaos on the Exhanges. Hurricane Fly back into favouritism (for now)

Go Native into 11.5
Voler La Vedette into 21

I wouldn't touch Binocular with a bargepole now.

Time to put more on Celestial Halo I think...

Solwhit wasnt helped by way race was run today, but even so, would expect him to have been contesting somewhere along the line. Binocular was very disappointing indeed

I think Betfair has a problem, my screen suggests that Binocular is still favourite for the Champion Hurdle. Can't be right surely.

I would top up on Celestial Halo as well but that Zaynar creature is scaring me off.

Zaynar and Celestial Halo look to have less to prove than most at the head of the betting now. But drawing too strong conclusions from the Fighting Fifth could be very dangerous given it was completely alien to the way the Champion will be run.

I would say after today the quest is on to find a meaningful pacemaker who can take them along at a decent gallop in the Champion.

Why? Celestial Halo will set a proper test. Im shocked anyone would even think a Champion Hurdle could be run at anything but a fast pace.

Well in 2004 HE deliberately set a moderate pace as a fast pace would have played into the hands of Rooster booster - Binocular was very disappointing whatever way you look at it.

Hardy Euctace was a 33-1 rag so you are hardly comparing like with like. Celestial Halo will ensure a true run race, its a no brainer.

One horse who would be very well suited by a stronger pace than there was yesterday is Go Native. It's not hard to picture him travelling very strongly indeed approaching the last in March. He'll have some very good horses to pass thereafter but it might not be beyond him.

One horse who would be very well suited by a stronger pace than there was yesterday is Go Native. It's not hard to picture him travelling very strongly indeed approaching the last in March. He'll have some very good horses to pass thereafter but it might not be beyond him.

i thought the slow pace would be to his disadvantage today but he looks the most tactically versatile of the lot now

The Binocular fans are noticeably quiet (not so after Hurricane Flys defeat) - have not see the race yet? Thoughts?

I think Betfair has a problem, my screen suggests that Binocular is still favourite for the Champion Hurdle. Can't be right surely.

I would top up on Celestial Halo as well but that Zaynar creature is scaring me off.

Deeply disappointed with Binocular. And while I agree I couldn't back him again at a bigger price than last week, I would want to see him out again before I seriously think of backing anything else. They all seem much of a muchness now.

Well beaten Galileo and if anything the slow pace should have played to a horse of his types strengths ie. one with a turn of foot (apparently). Go Native won on merit and I think people were a little quick to right him off after the Voler La Vedette defeat.

Hard to be anything other than dissapointed with Binocular.

That said, I wouldn't be giving up on him by any means; I don't buy into the theory that he should have been suited to the gallop they went yesterday at all, and Henderson said he was on the burly side as well.

I thought it was a very encouraging run from Solwhit.

Hard to be anything other than dissapointed with Binocular.

That said, I wouldn't be giving up on him by any means; I don't buy into the theory that he should have been suited to the gallop they went yesterday at all, and Henderson said he was on the burly side as well.

I thought it was a very encouraging run from Solwhit.

It's what I expected from Solwhit, but that's because I didn't expect himto win.

The notion that he wasn't over there to win (which I have heard a few times) is crazy; were it not for the bonus there is no way he would have been running yesterday.

The fact that he managed to stay on, having been held up off a pace that was never going to suit him in the slightest.

As I said before, hard to imagine conditions any different from those they will face in March.

I don't disagree with your observation about the pace and it's likely difference to what it will be at Cheltenham, but it's the very least that I would have expected from him to stay on in a race run in that fashion. Don't get me wrong, I don't think his chance in the Champion Hurdle has diminished on the back of that run, I just don't think it has been enhanced, which had the effort been very enouraging, then I would have expected it to have been.

Can't really disagree with any of that. 'Perfectly satisfactory' might have been a better choice of phrase!

I can't head nor tail of the Champion Hurdle market at the minute. Zaynar looks too short vieing for favouritism on form with Celestial Halo and Solwhit perhaps marginally over-priced.

Back