The Champion Hurdle 2010

Go Native working well

It has been reported by Noel Meade today that Go Native has done slow work recently but has been impressive in doing it. Do people think he is the one to beat? personally I think he is slightly over-rated but i could be stepping into controversial territory there!

It has been reported by Noel Meade today that Go Native has done slow work recently but has been impressive in doing it. Do people think he is the one to beat? personally I think he is slightly over-rated but i could be stepping into controversial territory there!

think solwhits the one to beat, can see go native being on the bit on the final bend tracking the horse thats the first to kick on but getting out stayed up the hill by solwhit.

go native i think reminds me a little bit of a harchibald? possibly won't find much when off the bridle? we saw at kempton that he was only just hanging on at the end.

i can see where you are coming from with solwhit, however i think zaynar could be the one to beat

yeah i just think solwhit will travel well obviously not as well as go native but as long as russel keeps him close enuff to the pace cant seee him out the places and from what we have seen so far of him i just think he will find and find up the hill.

incidentally punjabi likely to run at the weekend, i think in the kingwell at wincanton? might well put him spot on for cheltenham

what i like about it though is once again this year it is a wide open champion hurdle. many horses in with a chance and hope we get a good race. Is there anything at a bigger price that anyone fancies? im trying to find a big price horse to back each way!

You can view almost all his races on ATR, Justin.

He travels well, jumps slickly, stays forever, is very genuine, and will be a Champion Hurdler in under 30 days time. ;)

You can view almost all his races on ATR, Justin.

He travels well, jumps slickly, stays forever, is very genuine, and will be a Champion Hurdler in under 30 days time. ;)

second that im just worried russell might get him in a bad slot comming down the hill .if this horse gets in a battle there be only one out come solwhit wins

Thats always the worry and in particular wirth the champion hurdle. I have noticed in Cheltenham races that Russell has had traffic problems before. Lets hope he doesnt have them in the big one. Think it will be between solwhit (from what I've heard) and zaynar (from what I've seen of him, which has been impressive)

Thats always the worry and in particular wirth the champion hurdle. I have noticed in Cheltenham races that Russell has had traffic problems before. Lets hope he doesnt have them in the big one. Think it will be between solwhit (from what I've heard) and zaynar (from what I've seen of him, which has been impressive)

im not sure about zaynar i can see him getting out paced by alot of them for a few strides then staying on again seeems to hit a flat spot dont think he can do that in a race like this but i might be wrong.

i thought he was very impressive in what looks to be a good triumph hurdle from last year and i think if they go a quick pace then that will definitely suit him. i think as long as hes ridden handily then that would suit and be a major challenge to solwhit.

I think last years champion hurdle form doesn't look that strong now, if you look at punjabi, celestial halo and binocular. none of them have set the world alight really. the new crop of youngsters do look really exciting though

My opinion is still that the race is dependent on the ground. I think on a surface that's on the soft side, Solwhit is the one to beat. On a surface that's closer to good then Go Native is the one to catch. As much as I want to, I can't have Zaynar. He doesn't seem a horse to me, who'll have the speed to win a Champion Hurdle and looks to be one of those annoying horses who'll be best at 2m4f where there isn't much in the way of races (apart from the Aintree Hurdle). This seems a characteristic of many Triumph winners in that they are often 2m4f horses rather than genuine 2 milers, apart from Katchit who won a CH of course, but that was weak. I can't have any of last year's first three, either, that form has been shown up to be piss poor this year. I would like to chuck in Rock Noir at a nice price - 40/1. He has some top form over in France and despite having not run yet, he could well run a nice race, unless Jonjo has f***ed him up. I would've liked to see him have a run in Britain before contesting the race, and I'm not even sure he will, but if he does and runs up to his France form he could run well.

Rock Noir is entered in a handicap hurdle at Ascot on Saturday, Simon. Be interesting to see how the handicapper rates him. Anything around 147 would be about right, imo, but I suspect he'll take no chances, and rate him around 153.

I still like starluck at longer odds. My only concern would be last year he seamed to run out of steam at the end. Has anyone seen him close up this year has he bulked up on last year.

I still like starluck at longer odds. My only concern would be last year he seamed to run out of steam at the end. Has anyone seen him close up this year has he bulked up on last year.
I've seen him a couple of times - he's filled out very well.

Go Native is a solid e/w bet for me at 6's. Possibly have a little saver on Punjabi at 14/16's (wouldn't at all surprise me if retained it).

Last edited:
Go Native is a solid e/w bet for me at 6's. Possibly have a little saver on Punjabi at 14/16's (wouldn't at all surprise me if retained it).

I do honestly think that punjabi might sneak through. he's run ok this season but hes been pushed under the radar and wouldn't surprise me if he was to at least make the frame

Back