The Champion Hurdle 2010

I did Ebadiyan in Starluck's race last Cheltenahm. I know he ran out of steam but don't forget he was not race fit. I thought he was impresive (better then my selection who ran out) and I have backed him since. He has filled out and looks a stronger horse. TM knows the horse well. Could do worse. I am also looking at Morning Supreme. Good record overall. Has run at Cheltenham before, bumper when Dunguib won. Receives 7lb mare's allowance and has to be good value at 25/33-1.

Don't know too much about Morning Supreme. Is he an Irish trained horse? I think Starluck will stay this year, he seems to have matured into a bigger and stronger horse

Willie Mullins trained 7 yr old mare and likely to have Ruby on board. Won by an impressive 21 lengths back in mid December. Hopefully out on 21st Feb at Naas. She'll need the run but is worth a look.

sounds interesting especially if she gets the run at Naas. Sounds like she could be one of those Willie Mullins improvers

You can't say that. Timmy rode him really well i thought in the triumph last year and would probably had won had he stayed. This year he seems to be getting bigger and stronger so should stay up the hill this time around. Timmy's riding style suits Starluck

Well, nobody but Murphy has ridden him over jumps so it's highly debatable to state that he gets the best out of the horse, really. Secondly Murphy rides him like a nob, in his ridiculous "this is a really tricky ride, I've got to make it look like it" style that he is getting carried away with lately. It could be argued that due to such daft tactics Starluck probably should have won on occasions this season when Murphy's weird antics could have cost him the race.

well the owner/trainer must think of Murphy as a good jockey otherwise they would not retain him. i do agree with you that his hold up style that Murphy has can be frustrating to watch but sometimes he does it for horses who don't need it, meaning that they look like they are ridden properly.

But anyway, i think Starluck has a good e/w chance.

It's not just holding them up though, is it? He buggers about taking them wide, far wider than he need do [Starluck] or lets them run down fences or suddenly steer them wildly off in a differenct direction [both Diamond Harry] or similar. He seems to have gotten it into his head that certain horses he has to employ vastly exaggerated and daft tactics on.

have to admit a good example of him taking horses wide was with Comply Or Die in the National last year, where he was wide on the course and i think that was a very good ride but i do agree with you that they can be exaggerated.

I don't know why! wouldn't be surprised if he does it again on comply or die in the National. he has become rather predictable. you would be eating humble pie if starluck won the champion hurdle :D

Doubt if you will be though!

Won't matter a damn who rides either Starluck or Diamond Harry in their respective races ~ neither are good enough.

ah k fair point i know that starluck wont win but i think diamond harry has a good chance. he is going for the RSA isn't he?

Indeed. A lot has been made of his jumping (which I still think is slightly suspect - although admittedly moreso when Murphy is on him!) and Murphy, but I just don't think he has the same engine as either Punchestowns or Long Run.

Interesting to hear Rory saying Starluck has strengthened up this year. 16's may very well be interesting in that case, though it's hard to get away from the feeling that the hill may find him out.

I still go along with that he will stay up the hill this year because he was young and inexperienced and i think that run in the triumph really improved him. i kind of agree with diamond harry especially with long run in the RSA. Long Run will beat him very easily from what I've seen so far. Will be interesting to see if Punchestowns will run this week in a novice chase at ascot i think. If not then I don't think I would fancy him for the RSA.

Not that this is the thread, but I can't see how you could back Long Run with the jockey on board that he has. It's alright when hacking round Warwick against vastly inferior opposition, but it's a different ball game when you're at Cheltenham. Against opposition like Diamond Harry, Punchestowns, Weird Al and perhaps Mikael D'Hageunet it's hardly going to be a race he can nick with a crap jockey on board, due to his class. He is probably by far the best horse in the race but then again so was Cousin Vinny in last year's Supreme, in all likelihood. It's the same sort of situation. If AP was booked he'd probably be an Evs shot, so do you take the bigger price due to his jockey. For me it's a risk too big and I couldn't back him with Waley-Cohen on board and would fancy Diamond Harry in this, especially due to my belief that Punchestowns hasn't shown the form and is quite a false favourite. I think Weird Al could also go close.

I think Waley-Cohen is a very good jockey and he has won at the Festival before, i believe on Liberthine? Hes also ridden very good races over the National fences and other good races at Cheltenham so you can't really call him crap. He could be a professional jockey but chooses not to be so through choice

Being good enough to turn pro is one thing but being a pro, riding in races every day and acquiring further fitness and experience, is another.

Any reccomendations for who should take the ride on long run? pretty sure it will be waley cohen though because of his father

Rock Noir is entered in a handicap hurdle at Ascot on Saturday, Simon. Be interesting to see how the handicapper rates him. Anything around 147 would be about right, imo, but I suspect he'll take no chances, and rate him around 153.

He was rated 152. Damn, they've just this evening taken him out of the Champion Hurdle, but have given no reason.

Back