3 2 Hindu Kush(88) (APO'Brien) -
SMLevey................... 9,01
4 4 Matters At Hand (DKWeld) -
PShanahan ............... 9,01
5 1 Moiqen(104) (KPrendergast) -
DPMcDonogh ........... 9,01
6 6 Washington Irving (APO'Brien) -
JAHeffernan.............. 9,01

Nice performance by Tajaaweed today in the Dee Stakes i thought, quickened well when asked to go, FTO this season and a big horse , should improve for the run.

Yep, very nice despite the short margin of victory and he wasn't stopping. Pedigree isn't exactly full of stayers though.

It would be nice to see something put daylight between themselves and the field in a trial soon! Only Curtain Call and Hebridean in two of the most minor trials have managed it.

As you say GF he was not stopping, although not sure to get 1m4f on pedigree, he is by the same sire as Lucarno and he is out of a sprint related mare.

Interesting to see how Alessandro Volta fares at Lingfield tommorrow. Step up in trip should suit. Absolutely no way Curtain Call should be evens against AV and Campanologist IMO.

Interesting to note that Thewayyouare is bred along the same lines as Henrythenavigator by the way.

From the Sporting Life site :

Curtain Call won't run in the Lingfield Derby trial today because of the good to firm ground.

Currently 5-1 second-favourite with the sponsor for the Epsom Classic, the former Jessica Harrington-trained Sadler's Wells colt has yet to race on a firm surface.

Trainer Luca Cumani walked the track this morning and decided not to risk his horse.

"His one disappointing run came at Doncaster on the fastest ground he has encountered but we prefer to think that was because it was late in the season," Cumani said, before declaring his charge a non-runner.

"My main concern is not whether the horse goes on it (fast ground) or not, it is that he comes back sound and not run any risks so that he is ready to run in the Derby."

Cumani has claimed the derby trial with Kahyasi in 1988 and High-Rise in 1998 before both went on to win at Epsom and he admits that Curtain Call is giving him a similar vibe.

"Of course I think he is capable of winning a Derby or else I wouldn't be doing what I'm doing with him," he said.

Shame, looked a decent trial today. Having watched the Ballysax a couple of times i reckon the excuse with regard to Alessandro Volta is being overplayed and at around 6/4 he is good lay material today.

Glad to see By Command in a Derby Trial. In hinsdight given Dunlop's recent record I suppose this was a more likely target than the Dante. Looking at all his siblings, I'd be shocked if he didn't go on this much faster ground, in fact there's a chance he'll be best on it.

Originally posted by Euronymous@May 10 2008, 09:18 AM
Shame, looked a decent trial today. Having watched the Ballysax a couple of times i reckon the excuse with regard to Alessandro Volta is being overplayed and at around 6/4 he is good lay material today.
Can't agree with that, Euro. I thought it was fairly evident that Murtagh's saddle slipped back the last day and the Ballydoyle horses have been coming on a ton for their first runs anyhow.

I'm not sure Campanologist wants this trip either to be honest. In the circumstances 6/4 is pretty fair I would say (though I havn't backed AV).

It did slip, but he was beaten anyway.

I`ve taken some of the 16s available on Tajaaweed as i reckon he`ll be a lot shorter this time next week. If Twice Over wins next week without being fully convincing about staying the full 12f i think Stoute`s horse could be single figures.

Funny quote from Murtagh suggesting the horse didn't handle the decent or the turn or the camber on the straight....then suggesting he will improve at Epsom!

That was a fair performance from a horse all at sea on the track, a performance that probably does not do justice to his ability....but equally one that suggests he is not an Epsom Derby horse.

Originally posted by Gareth Flynn@May 9 2008, 04:19 PM
It would be nice to see something put daylight between themselves and the field in a trial soon! Only Curtain Call and Hebridean in two of the most minor trials have managed it.
Still waiting. On the bright side, the two best trials are still to come.

Originally posted by Gareth Flynn+May 10 2008, 03:40 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Gareth Flynn @ May 10 2008, 03:40 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Gareth Flynn@May 9 2008, 04:19 PM
Still waiting. On the bright side, the two best trials are still to come. [/b][/quote]
On that basis is it worth taking the 14/1 about Washington Irving?

Correct me if I am wrong but O'Brien has not been at Chester or Lingfield himself all week? I think there is very little doubt that he will be at Leopardstown and York tomorrow & next week.

Bit dissapointed with Alessandro Volta to be honest; that said, he was clearly all at sea on the track and could have done with a stronger gallop (which he evidently needs to be seen to best effect).

Can't really see him either handling Tattenham corner or having the tactical speed needed to have his stamina kick in up the hill.

**** it. He'll win the Leger anyway. :D

Originally posted by Euronymous@May 10 2008, 12:58 PM
I`ve taken some of the 16s available on Tajaaweed as i reckon he`ll be a lot shorter this time next week.
You'll be concerned to know Euro, that this is the line of thought I'm coming round to :P I actually expect a slightly bigger price to be around though, so will hang fire for a bit, as what ever wins the Derrinstown and Dante is bound to attract some support

Originally posted by Galileo@May 10 2008, 03:01 PM
Correct me if I am wrong but O'Brien has not been at Chester or Lingfield himself all week?
I thought he was there for Sail? but wouldn't swear to it?

Originally posted by Galileo@May 10 2008, 02:27 PM
That was a fair performance from a horse all at sea on the track, a performance that probably does not do justice to his ability....but equally one that suggests he is not an Epsom Derby horse.
I'm pretty sure they said on Ch4 that he will now go for the French Derby, but I wasn't paying all that much attention! He certainly was all over the place, much too big [and green?] for Epsom imo

Back