The Derby 2008

Curtain Call might not have the class to beat a brilliant Derby horse, but I am yet to see one emerge (thats likely to run) and there look to be plenty of non-stayers around to my eye most notably the favourite.

Might actually end up with no Group 1 winners in the field. When was the last time that happened?

Fair point, Aidan.

Interesting that Dettori has chosen Young Pretender (who is related to New Approach) over McCartney in the Dante, given that the latter was reported to be Godolphin's main Derby hope not too long ago.

Twice Over got 10f at 2 of course. I know there are always exceptions, but you would have to believe that 12f will be within his compass this year

Cecil is surely a good judge of a horses optimum distance? Some trainers (even leading ones) seem to be all over the place (not deliberately....) with these assessments. I always thought this aspect of training was one of Cecil's (many) strengths

No dount someone will throw up an example to the contrary...but i would tend not to distrust him on this

The two Godolphin purchases? One ridden like a pacemaker, the other just beats it home for last. Is it time they concentrated on Tennis or something?

Thought Twice over a ridiculous price today (York thread), so not overly surprised to see it beaten.

Right now, unless Kingdom of Naples is a monster of some kind, Casual Conquest is a great bet of he lines up.

I strongly fancied this today - one of those gut feelings - but I'm not betting til tomorrow :rolleyes:
Largely on the stregth of him being full brother to Golan, a very good horse - and what looked like quiet confidence form the yard. there's no doubt that Stoute is a master at getting them ready on the right day. Very happy to see one of the UK smaller studs having another success; and as the owner just said, Stoute knows the family inside out

He's very striking isn't he?
I think btw from the commentator's tones that he's lost a few quid there :P

Cecil now says Twice Over 'unlikely to run' in the Derby :eek:

Originally posted by betsmate@May 15 2008, 02:58 PM
When is the Irish 2000? Cecil thinks he is a miler. Too soon?
Then why bypass the Guineas with a doubtful stayer!! It's not just Bolger!

Originally posted by Headstrong@May 15 2008, 02:53 PM
Very happy to see one of the UK smaller studs having another success; and as the owner just said, Stoute knows the family inside out
When did it relocate?

I think we are seeing the aftermath of a very cold wet spring - horses only just coming to themselves following the last week or two of sunshine - hence a lot of odd results being thrown up esp with horses with middle-distance pedigrees who had little experience at 2

Ladbrokes going a standout 7/1 about the winner...far more sensible imo. The Weld horse will surely be added to the field now.

Originally posted by betsmate@May 15 2008, 01:48 PM
The two Godolphin purchases? One ridden like a pacemaker, the other just beats it home for last. Is it time they concentrated on Tennis or something?
Considering ones a 1m horse and the other has been working poor I'm not surprised.

The only 3 horses they have fancied, one won and the other ran poor for no reason, and the other ran full of promise despite not being wound up.

Originally posted by Galileo+May 15 2008, 02:00 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Galileo @ May 15 2008, 02:00 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Headstrong@May 15 2008, 02:53 PM

When did it relocate? [/b][/quote]
Apologies - Ballymacoll are Irish aren't they despite the UK trainer and Northern accent!
Still good imo to see a *smaller* stud have a good win

Originally posted by betsmate@May 15 2008, 02:48 PM
At this rate I think they would even stop Federer & Nadal!!!

Ballymacoll Group 1 Winners

Mountain High
North Light
Gamut
Islington
Golan
Indian Danehill
Greek Dance
Desert Boy
Spectrum
Pilsudski
Fastness
Saddler's Hall
Sought Out
Hellenic
Prince of Dance
Emmson
Helen Street
Sun Princess
Lancastrian
Troy
Sharper
Admetus
Sallust
Sun Prince
Dart Board
Reform Bay

Total: 26

Originally posted by Headstrong+May 15 2008, 03:06 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Headstrong @ May 15 2008, 03:06 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by Galileo@May 15 2008, 02:00 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Headstrong
@May 15 2008, 02:53 PM

When did it relocate?
Apologies - Ballymacoll are Irish aren't they despite the UK trainer and Northern accent!
Still good imo to see a *smaller* stud have a good win [/b][/quote]
It's not exactly a tuppenny bit operation either.

No-one said it was - but it's not Coolmore either! Pardon me, but I do like to see other people win big races

The more I look at the race the more confused I get!! You'd have to be mad to back anything antepost at this stage.

Looking at the Dante result, the first two look pretty solid. The winner should relish the extra two furlongs while the O'Brien horse should stay the trip fine and remember how they improve for their first run.

Back