The Derby & Irish Derby 2009

Haven't read all of this, no internet access lately, so apologies if I'm repeating what others have said.

STS looks to me in a different class from the other 3yr old colts, not just in terms of talent and class but in respect of his temperament. His demeanor on Derby Day was astonishing - all the others were edgy and sweating up but he was revelling in it, he knew both before and after the race that he is a star, and was there to a do a job. That kind of temperament is priceless imo at top level, in tems of conserving energy, and I'd say he had plenty in hand on the day.

Did I manage to 1000th reply LOL

Last edited:
Dont agree at all Grey

The Champions Stakes at Newmarket is surely a weaker grp 1 than the eclipse. In fact recent runnings of the eclipse have been pretty strong
Another consideration should be the unfortunate possibility of injury at any stage. Surely best to beat the older horses as soon as practicable

I don't think it's a weaker race per se, but it's much harder for a 3 yr old to win both that and the Derby, as it's very tough for such young horses to be on the go for that long in the season - esp if they take in the Guineas as well. In that respect it's easier to win the eclipse with a Derby winner imo, otherwise you'd need to let the horse down a bit them bring him back for October

Looks like Black Bear Island will be back out next week in the King Edward VII.

Freemantle goes for the Hampton Court.

I think that might just be very hot form [the race won by River Captain]. They were strung out at the end and the time was either fast or very fast. It was a valuable enough race that tends to work out well most years, It was also competitive both in terms of numbers and quality and the runner up was very heavily backed. Take the winner out and I think we'd be hailing the second as a very smart winner.

There's the prospect of my musings being tested today. The runner-up, Tepmokea, is out again in the 3.45 York and is only 3lbs higher.

I've taken the 13/2 but not with any strong confidence. The horse must have had a hard race last week and could be an ideal candidate for the bounce. I also suspect Rafaan might end up some way better than an 83 handicapper.

Paul Hensey, the manager of The Curragh, confirmed the ground was good to firm on Thursday evening. The forecast is pretty good for the rest of the week so it looks like a rematch is likely next Sunday...

Close and humid Sunday night with patches of mist, drizzle and fog in places. Most places dry and warm on Monday, with some sunny spells developing, but some drizzle and mist is likely at times along northern coasts in the morning. Top temperatures in the high teens or low twenties. Mostly dry, settled weather is then expected for Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday, but the odd shower could not be ruled out at times. Winds will be light to moderate southeast to easterly, but some moderate sea breezes are likely on some coasts in the afternoons. Temperatures will be in the high teens to low twenties each day - with the highest values probably in the western half of the country.

By Tony O'Hehir7.31PM 21 JUN 2009
DUAL Classic hero Sea The Stars was on Sunday reported in good order by trainer John Oxx, with the weather forecast likely to be favourable as he contemplates running the superstar in the Dubai Duty Free Irish Derby at the Curragh next weekend.

Oxx said of the Stanjames.com 2,000 Guineas and Investec Derby winner: "Sea The Stars worked on Saturday morning. He did what he usually does, and all went well.

"He will be left in the race at the final forfeit stage on Tuesday, and the forecast for the week is reasonably good, which is good news.But we will wait and see what the week brings."

Should Sea The Stars receive the go-ahead for Sunday's Classic, he will again oppose a big team from Ballydoyle, including Fame And Glory and Masterofthehorse, who were second and third at Epsom.
Trainer Aidan O'Brien said on Sunday: "We usually have a quite a few runners and I'd imagine Fame And Glory, Masterofthehorse, Golden Sword, and the others we ran at Epsom, will be left in on Tuesday."

Forecast is for 25 degrees all week....imagine they will be watering the track this week.

Will be there on the Friday to see some smart two year olds and if the weather remains fine I will probably go on the Sunday itself.

Last edited:
lets hope they all turn up

The likely fast ground might encourage them to run Rip Van Winkle (though its noticeable O'Brien does not mention him specifically in his quote) again....I hope not but imagine F&G and co might not appreciate it much faster than it was at Epsom.

Was hoping to go myself but I'm moving to Brighton this weekend and air fares from Gatwick are astronomical so sadly can't go.

Sounds like Rip Van Winkle goes for the Eclipse.

I've had it in my mind that this horse equals Oratorio for some time. My own limited reading of him is that he gets easily unbalanced and either need a flat course with a run in of at least 4F's or one with a steady incline that starts from about 3F's out.

I've had the Juddmonte in mind for him for some time, but he would be of interest in the Eclipse certainly

Im still not sure why Sea the Stars doesn't go for the eclipse. This weekend if he turns up in Ireland and he gets turned over in a strongly run race by say FAG or MOTH there will be so many questions about the Derby race and does he really stay properly. By going for the Eclipse he potentially could win over 1m 2f therefore having a whole sweep of Group 1's under his belt at different distances. Then if the questions arise regarding the 1m 4f again there is always the Arc (providing the ground is ok)

Ard Na Greine
Byzantine
Drumbeat
Fame And Glory
Freemantle
Gan Amhras
Golden Sword
Hail Caesar
Loch Long
Malibu Bay
Masterofthehorse
Mourayan
Recharge
Rockhampton
Sea The Stars
Set Sail
The Bull Hayes

Paddy Power:

Sea The Stars 4/6
Fame And Glory 11/4
Masterofthehorse 4/1
Golden Sword 14/1
Gan Amhras 14/1
Recharge 16/1
Mourayan 16/1
50/1 Bar

Last edited:
Not sure how FAG is 11/4 and Masterofthehorse 4/1. It's like some people didn't see the race at Epsom.

Masterofthehorse at 4/1 each way appeals. However, given the likely ground, it's very hard to see Sea the Stars getting beat.

Back