The Derby & Irish Derby 2009

For price comparison, recent Derby winners who turned up at the Curragh:

8/11 North Light (2nd)
1/3 High Chaparral (1st)
4/11 Galileo (1st)
11/10 Sinndar (1st)

(Sinndar was odds against due to the presence of 6l French Derby winner Holding Court and 2000 Guineas winner King's Best, who had missed Epsom).

Those three that won were all good staying middle distance types. The wide galloping track should brings Fame And Glory's stamina into play very well, but the likely going will favour STS.

A few hints in the market that Murtagh might be riding Masterofthehorse with Ladbrokes having him the shorter of the pair and PP cutting him this morning as well?

I suppose it's possible that Fame won't run if the going is too fast. They are probably taking the view that Masterofthehorse is more likely to turn up.

Perhaps, I would be surprised if both did not turn up regardless of the going.

With any juice in the going Fame would be second favourite. They are bound to run one of them. The conditions suggest Masterofthehorse would be most likely. But don't be surprised if Murtagh is on Fame should they both line up.

According to the Irish Times, "watering [is] continuing at headquarters to maintain the good to firm ground".

A bit of kidology going on no doubt, as Gal mentioned, but according to Oxx “the course is not drying out very quickly. It won’t take a lot of rain for it to go against us”.
With the possibility of heavy showers on Saturday maybe it could swing back in Fame’s favour.

There's a preview of the race on the RTE website. Interviews with Oxx and O'Brien won't tell you anything you didn't already know but Murtagh confirms that he will ride Fame And Glory.

That wouldn't be the biggest surprise... If Murtagh had been on him in the Derby and the race consequently run to suit Fame rather than Rip, we would have seen an even better race than we did.

Ballydoyle has already shot itself in one foot. To shoot itself in the other would be careless.

From the PA.

"Johnny Murtagh believes Fame And Glory heads into Sunday's Dubai Duty Free Irish Derby an improved performer as he bids to turn the tables on Epsom conqueror Sea The Stars.
After victories in the Ballysax Stakes and the Derrinstown Stud Derby Trial, Fame And Glory was sent off favourite for Epsom's Investec Derby but he had to make do with the runner-up spot behind John Oxx's 2000 Guineas hero.
Murtagh rode fourth home Rip Van Winkle that day but as that colt is set to line up in the Coral-Eclipse at Sandown on Saturday week, the Ballydoyle stable jockey is ready to switch to Fame And Glory in this weekend's Irish Classic.
"At Epsom it was a good even pace all the way, but I think Mick (Kinane) decided at the top of the hill that he was going to ignore the two horses in front and he knew Sea The Stars was going to pick them up at any time," Murtagh told RTE Sport.
"He really dictated the race to the rest of us and there is not much you can do then - you just have to sit and suffer.
"Take nothing away from Sea The Stars as he was a very good winner on the day and he's now won the Guineas and the Derby. The Epsom Derby winner doesn't always win the Irish Derby, but they have a good record in it.
"I'm not going to give up on our horses yet as we've got two horses with massive chances in Fame And Glory and Masterofthehorse (third at Epsom) and they have definitely improved.
"I think the Curragh will suit them as it's a big, galloping track and it will be a good test so hopefully we can put it up to Sea The Stars.
"I'm going to stick with Fame And Glory as I think he's definitely improved at home from Epsom and he's very solid," he told www.rte.ie.
Fame And Glory is just one of 10 entries for Aidan O'Brien in the Group One contest.
Many judges have questioned the Epsom form due to the lack of pace and O'Brien believes the answers will be provided at the Curragh on Sunday.
"The horses came out of Epsom very well and we've been happy with them all since. Obviously they all ran great races and we were delighted with them," O'Brien told At The Races.
"Everybody knows it wasn't a fast pace and it wasn't a slow pace, it was probably a medium pace. We've been very happy with the horses since and, if anything, they have been improving from run to run.
"The Curragh is a very fair track, an even mile and a half and it looks like it's going to be beautiful ground so we are looking forward to it.
"That will suit everybody and if the pace is even, it gives everybody a chance.
"Everyone has been saying if the pace was faster at Epsom, that might have suited us and if it was faster it might not suit John's horse.
"Hopefully this weekend it will be an even, level pace and we will all learn a lot more."

Source: PA

Murtagh: ""I'm going to stick with Fame And Glory"... seems an odd turn of phrase considering he's barely gone near the colt.

"At Epsom it was a good even pace all the way, but I think Mick (Kinane) decided at the top of the hill that he was going to ignore the two horses in front and he knew Sea The Stars was going to pick them up at any time," Murtagh told RTE Sport.
"He really dictated the race to the rest of us and there is not much you can do then - you just have to sit and suffer".

What was wrong with Heffernan or Murtagh following them by moving past Sea the Stars? Ridiculous comment. This isn't formula one - horses can go past one another. They were outridden, but only have themselves to blame.

What was wrong with Heffernan or Murtagh following them by moving past Sea the Stars? Ridiculous comment. This isn't formula one - horses can go past one another. They were outridden, but only have themselves to blame.

Heffernan was riding to strict orders, which accounts for his frustration/outburst after the race about riding him differently if he had a second chance.

The race was set up for the wrong colt (RVW), which of course played perfectly to STS's strengths.

I don't think Ballydoyle would have minded if Heffernan took it up earlier off a slow pace, no? Why bother running him otherwise?

"The race was set up for the wrong colt (RVW), which of course played perfectly to STS's strengths".

An O'Brien cock up you mean:whistle:

Last edited:
It implies to me that he decided to ride it in his own mind, and then talked himself out of it, and has come back to it again. I think all he's doing is articulating is his own internal deliberations

I don't think Ballydoyle would have minded if Heffernan took it up earlier off a slow pace, no? Why bother running him otherwise?

In hindsight I'm sure they wouldn't have. Shame Seamie didn't show the initative he was so upset he didn't employ after the race. Nevertheless the race was run wrong for Fame. One of the other runners ideally (for Fame) would have stretched them more.

"Sticking" with a horse implies to me that he's been on it one of the last couple of times its appeared. He's only been up for one career start so far.

Sorry - I was trying to post I was agreeing with you but looks I may have come across wrong!

Back