The Derby & Irish Derby 2009

A good horse shouldn't be reliable on a breakneck pace to get him out of trouble. :)

I do not particularly want a breakneck pace/gallop either...just a proper test over a staying trip. Epsom, as the sectionals show, was anything but that.

I'd imagine good, fast ground (please don't water), a decent pace with all horses running on their merits, and he'll win by 5-6 lengths.

Regarding the probable pacemaking, if FAG needs a strong clip, what is stopping him going off from the front?

Who will Murtagh ride?

Let's just hope for a proper test over the trip this time, a genuine Group 1 pace.

With a proper test and soft side of good Fame should be the answer, anything else and STS will obviously be difficult to beat. I suppose STS will turn out here if he gets his conditions, otherwise the Eclipse would have made sense as an option.

With Gan Amhras, it comes down to:

a) Can you completely ignore his Epsom run? Was it too bad to be true? Was it entirely down to him not handling the track?

b) What price would he be if he hadn't run there (all other things being equal)?

Mourayan is the type of horse I could see grab a place if everything went alright for him. Race regularly throws up a massive priced placed horse....but I would worry about the ground for him.

What is the ground like/likely to be like?

Oxx said it was borderline that STS would race if the race was on today, and didn't seem sure he'd line up.

What is the ground like/likely to be like?

Oxx said it was borderline that STS would race if the race was on today, and didn't seem sure he'd line up.

The ground is officially Good To Firm.

I would think Oxx is playing games here to ensure that the Curragh do not over water. Naas (just down the road) is on tomorrow and thats good to firm as well. It's a hot hot day outside on The Curragh today and its expected to stay that way all week bar some showers the weekend.

The ground is officially Good To Firm.

I would think Oxx is playing games here to ensure that the Curragh do not over water. Naas (just down the road) is on tomorrow and thats good to firm as well. It's a hot hot day outside on The Curragh today and its expected to stay that way all week bar some showers the weekend.

:)
...we must be due AOB countering with the threat that he'll only run his couple of dozen if the ground is "safe".

Ladbrokes certainly taking a strong view….

Sea The Stars 2/5
Masterofthehorse 3/1
Fame And Glory 4/1
Gan Amhras 12/1
14s Bar

For price comparison, recent Derby winners who turned up at the Curragh:

8/11 North Light (2nd)
1/3 High Chaparral (1st)
4/11 Galileo (1st)
11/10 Sinndar (1st)

(Sinndar was odds against due to the presence of 6l French Derby winner Holding Court and 2000 Guineas winner King's Best, who had missed Epsom).

Ladbrokes certainly taking a strong view….

Sea The Stars 2/5
Masterofthehorse 3/1
Fame And Glory 4/1
Gan Amhras 12/1
14s Bar

That looks very skinny for Sea the stars. I'm a big fan, but no way should he be less than 8/13, and even that is too short for me.

A few hints in the market that Murtagh might be riding Masterofthehorse with Ladbrokes having him the shorter of the pair and PP cutting him this morning as well?

Back