The Derby Sat June 5th 2021

Trying to bring the debate back to this thread, I've had a look at AOB's Derby winners this century.

The Ballysax/Derrinstown route would have been the first routes to spring to mind but it looks like Coolmore have become more open-minded in how they prepare their horses.

Their winners this century ran in these races:

Year
Horse
Previous (Posn)
Serpentine
Curragh Mdn (w)
AVD
LDT (w)
Wings Of Eagles
Chester Vase (2)
Australia
2000G (3)
Ruler Of The World
Chester Vase (w)
Camelot
2000G (w)
High Chaparral
Derrinstown (w)
Galileo
Derrinstown (w)

<tbody>
</tbody>

It should be remembered, though, that these winners weren't all the outfit's recognised main candidates for the race so that aspect would require a bit more digging.

They've already won the Ballysax with Bolshoi Ballet but I can't see the Derrinstown entries anywhere.

(1:45) 107D Derrinstown Stud Derby Trial Stakes (Group3) €41,300.00 ( 1m 2f - 3yo ) [MAX 20]RRFrm
033-1 1 Baton Rouge(APO'Brien) ......................... (94)
315-1 2 Bolshoi Ballet(APO'Brien)...................... (109)
13- 3 Carlisle Bay(APO'Brien) ......................... (101)
214-6 4 Fernando Vichi(DAO'Brien) ..................... (98)
219-2 5 Flying Visit(JSBolger) ............................ (108)
11- 6 High Definition(APO'Brien) .................... (115)
16-1 7 Kyprios(APO'Brien) ................................ (101)
1-4 8 Lough Derg(APO'Brien) .................................
9181- 9 Mac Swiney(JSBolger) ........................... (116)
54-11 10 Sir Lamorak(APO'Brien) ........................... (99)
2-1 11 Southern Lights(JPO'Brien) ..........................
1-3 12 Taipan (FR)(MrsJHarrington) ..........................
42-1 13 Team Of Firsts (GB)(GMLyons) .....................
8 14 Wexford Soil(JSBolger) ..................................
172-7 15 Wuqood (GB)(DKWeld) .......................... (102

AOB in RP

"High Definition will not be declared in the morning for Lingfield on Saturday. Unfortunately, his bloods just weren't 100 per cent, so he won't be running."

Very very rare i have an ante-post bet but i took the 33/1 about John Leeper

Loved him at Newcastle, needs to go well in one of the trials i suppose but nothing looks outstanding this year

Very very rare i have an ante-post bet but i took the 33/1 about John Leeper

Loved him at Newcastle, needs to go well in one of the trials i suppose but nothing looks outstanding this year

Loved the horse at Newcastle -he could be special but 33s is chronic value.

Hope he runs a lot better than the other one that bombed at Chester yesterday.

Will learn more tomorrow. Certainly the one I took from that race at Sandown. Hopefully going up in trip will see further improvement.

I assume Hurricane Lane goes Dante.

I have to say, it looks like the Derby is falling apart in front of our eyes.

High Definition will almost certainly lose in the Dante given his setback.

Bolshoi Ballet doesn't look good enough.

Mohaafeth's form has huge question marks.

They're saying Adayar will swerve it and I see no reason for sending Yibir either after Chester.

My other longshot Cleveland is reportedly taking time to come to himself.

I've got 14/1 Mac Swiney which might end up favourite at this rate.

But nothing much i the trials has impressed me.

I might go back in again on Mac Swiney.

Will end up being a max field. No reason for anything that can run not to at this stage.

What was Buick up to on Adayar as he was catching the winner late on - if he was called Cobden he’d be heading for 10 days in the cooler.

Well, it was nice for two weeks :lol:

He's still only 33s. You are still ahead of the game :lol:

Not sure I would be too quick to dismiss the winner. Quickened on the bend well so bodes well for Epsom. Better ground would also be a plus too.
Big unit the 2nd. Buick clearly just trying to organize him on the turn.

More trials to come.

Had a small ew on Ace Aussie @ B365's 250/1 in anticipation of a big run today. 2nd to subsequent Guineas' winner, over this track in April, he's short priced fav today, entered for both Derbys, bred for the trip and worth the highlly speculative punt to opt for Epsom, at the price.

Last edited:
He's still only 33s. You are still ahead of the game :lol:

Not sure I would be too quick to dismiss the winner. Quickened on the bend well so bodes well for Epsom. Better ground would also be a plus too.
Big unit the 2nd. Buick clearly just trying to organize him on the turn.

More trials to come.

I'm pretty sure after the race Appleby was quoted as saying he won't go to Epsom. I checked at Betfair to see if I could lay it off and it was showing something like 18 but by the time I clicked through it was nearer 200.

Anyway, you back these hoping to have a few 10-20/1 shots on board at 50-66/1 knowing some won't get there. Right now it looks like none of mine are getting there!

I'm still very hopeful of a big return from my Mother Earth (25/1)/Santa Barbara (8/1) double.

Yes it was reported almost immediately after the race that the Derby was off the cards. I wonder was this a snap decision out of the dissapointed of getting beat. They were obviously expecting a lot more.

Last edited:
They've maybe decided he won't act around Epsom - which is probably why he went to Lingfiekd in the first place.

Back