The Derby Sat June 5th 2021

A) Epsom is extra c. 2f, B) It’s not O’Brien’s MO to have them raring to go first time up and C) it looked IMHO as though it was a deliberate attempt by them to give him experience of a fiercely run contest.

Of course, all are open to conjecture

The drift on High Definition I can only presume is down to a possible diversion to Chantilly as all things considered, I thought it was a highly promising return.

Isn't Chantilly 10f? Surely no chance he goes there.

He’s also a big almost gangly colt who surely might struggle around Epsom? I think he will definitely improve for the extra 2f but would rather see him at the Curragh instead of Epsom which could ruin him. I do like him though but perhaps not as much as Bolshoi Ballet who looks tailor made for Epsom. A much better more balanced type.

While I think the Curragh will suit HD better I'll be gutted if they don't send him to Epsom.

I'll need to keep a daily trawl of the snippets of info and vibes to allow me to take a profit if that looks the better option.

I reckon he could win both the Epsom and Curragh derbies.

He's probably a good thing for the St Leger too. I reckon I'll need to start scouring for prices for it.

I can't remember if I've posted his dosage figures already but just in case I haven't:

[FONT=&quot]DP = 5-2-21-14-0 (42) DI = 0.71 CD = -0.05

Definitely no shortage of stamina there.[/FONT]

While I think the Curragh will suit HD better I'll be gutted if they don't send him to Epsom.

I'll need to keep a daily trawl of the snippets of info and vibes to allow me to take a profit if that looks the better option.

I reckon he could win both the Epsom and Curragh derbies.

He's probably a good thing for the St Leger too. I reckon I'll need to start scouring for prices for it.

I can't remember if I've posted his dosage figures already but just in case I haven't:

[FONT="]DP = 5-2-21-14-0 (42) DI = 0.71 CD = -0.05

Definitely no shortage of stamina there.[/FONT]

6/1 for the St Leger.

Thought HD a Leger cndidate before the race, and wouldn't see him feature in much else before, on yesterday's run.

Isn't Chantilly 10f? Surely no chance he goes there.

Yes. I’d had a few too many and when reading that the 2nd could be heading to the French Derby I confused it with High Definition.

Agreed the 10.5 would be too quick for him but I do think he’ll be seen in a much better light next time, whatever the trip and I’d br more concerned with his ability to handle the track than going 12f pace at Epsom.

Bolshoi Ballet to Epsom and HD to the Curragh would seem an obvious play though.

Indigo Girl has the best dosage that points to a St leger type!

She is obviously a very talented lady, to win over a mile (was heavy) with such a plethora of stamina running right through both sides of her family can only endorse her obvious Class!

Last edited:
6/1 for the St Leger.

Yes, I saw that after I posted. To be honest, it's a price I can leave for now. I was hoping for 10/1. I'd rather wait until we see what happens next. If he bombs in the Derby (or maybe taken out) his price might lengthen. If he wins the Derby I'll have made so much off the Mother Earth double I won't care :lol:

Indigo Girl has the best dosage that points to a St leger type!

She is obviously a very talented lady, to win over a mile (was heavy) with such a plethora of stamina running right through both sides of her family can only endorse her obvious Class!

Doubt she goes straight to the Oaks so either it's a slow burn with the Leger as the eventual aim (followed by the 1m5 race in France and/or 1m4 race on Champions day) or else Gosden will run her next week (maybe over 10F in the G1 Saint-Alary in France).

Hurricane Lane from the Aga Khan family of Harzand.
Dam sires by generations Shirocco, Dr Devious, Be My Guest, Darshaan, Hethersett is as good as you can get for a traditional Derby horse.
Unbeaten, keeps improving and Bolshoi Ballet match will be a one of tradition vs new generation. .

Only just stumbled across the news this evening that Derab had run and hacked up at Newmarket this afternoon.

Went close to 10 lengths clear in the space of a furlong and a half - it will be interesting to see what the sectionals say - before being eased down.

Over a mile.

Should stay the Derby trip: [FONT=&quot]DP = 3-1-19-5-2 (30) DI = 0.82 CD = -0.07[/FONT]

The 50/1 I took back in April isn't looking so shabby :)

Last edited:
Has anyone seen any quotes from Gosden post-race for Derab?

The brother says he might have said something about staying at 8-10f for the time being :(

(In case I didn't mention it before, Derab is a Sea The Stars half-brother to Enable.)

Last edited:
Gosden senior said: “He has run very well. He ran very well at Ascot first time out, then we ran into a problem in the autumn.

“He came back and he was a bit fresh. We were very keen to settle him at Newbury and we were more interested in settling him than anything else.

“He was much more sensible today and has run a lovely race. He has grown up a lot.”

He added: “We will either keep him at a mile or go a mile and a quarter and look at options over those trips.

“I don’t know if he is one for the Hampton Court at Royal Ascot, as that is a bit of a way off. He has made big bounds now – he has always wanted to be in a hurry about life, but he is doing things in the correct rhythm now.”

Thanks, BJ, I've now taken a small ante-post for the Arc at 50s as well. Perverse logic on my part; that they're talking about keeping him at these trips for now knowing how much more he'll have to offer later in the season over the trip he's bred for.

I would think Ed Dunlop will take his time with John Leeper and stay at 10f for the next run.

Very very rare i have an ante-post bet but i took the 33/1 about John Leeper

Loved him at Newcastle, needs to go well in one of the trials i suppose but nothing looks outstanding this year

Well it was a scrappy race today but he is crying out for the mile and a half

Seemed to handle the dip well enough as well

Sitting pretty:ninja:

The Irish 2000 Guineas is next Saturday.

I'm waiting to hear an update on Van Gogh.

He's easy to back on Betfair but big firms still refusing to offer more than 12/1 about him for Epsom.

Last edited:
Back