The Derby

Just watched the RUK bit on AOB. Interesting to see the horses paraded. SNA looked great while Jan Vemeer is a big bullish type who may not handle Epsom. CB was heavily bandaged but looked to be walking OK. Didn't spot Midas Touch - laptop tends to stick just when I want to see one particular horse!

Just watched the RUK bit on AOB. Interesting to see the horses paraded. SNA looked great while Jan Vemeer is a big bullish type who may not handle Epsom. CB was heavily bandaged but looked to be walking OK. Didn't spot Midas Touch - laptop tends to stick just when I want to see one particular horse!

Think that was done prior to the Dante - so I would imagine CB was heavily bandaged after hurting himself a bit earlier that week.

Think that was done prior to the Dante - so I would imagine CB was heavily bandaged after hurting himself a bit earlier that week.

Well its odd to bandage a bruised heel (which I think is the injury AOB mentionned) by wrapping up the cannon bone area unless you are concerned about the legs filling which they may admittedly, while the horse is standing in his stable. Walking a horse in hand, I would perhaps have put on an overreach boot to protect it. Puzzling IMO.

Hardly be calling Atjebi a bad jockey, he's not in Dettori's league but he's very talented. Does seem odd he wasn't first choice given that was the arrangement.

Any idea why Frankie rode and Atjebi was on the outsider?

I suspect that this is a one-off in the sense that it is all very well setting up a 2nd yard with a 2nd jockey but sending your Derby prospect to him and not allowing your top jock to ride it is unlikely to be good for internal Godolphin harmony .

The horse doesn't hold a Derby entry, isn't it better to have one of the top riders in the world sit on it and tell you whether it's worth paying to £90k to supplement it, or would you rather leave the task to a 3lb claimer than often looks out of his depth on some of these UK turf courses on which he's barely ridden.

Atjebi rode his claim out a long time ago didn't he?

Having watched some of the shocking rides at Goodwood yesterday, I'd rather have Atjebi on than most of the "top 10" but agree that Dettori is world class.

Atjebi still claims,

and I would not put him in the first 50 jockeys riding in England.
He is not a jockey, he is a passanger on the horses,

The horse doesn't hold a Derby entry, isn't it better to have one of the top riders in the world sit on it and tell you whether it's worth paying to £90k to supplement it, or would you rather leave the task to a 3lb claimer than often looks out of his depth on some of these UK turf courses on which he's barely ridden.
Some would say it would be better having the best trainer in the world training the horse and one of the best young jockeys in the world riding it but that isn't how Godolphin works and they've moved him to the UK.

Gallinule -

Jan Vermeer
Bobbyscot(102)
Fighting Brave (USA)(103)
Icon Dream(104)
Shintoh (USA)(103)
Troas
Zayaan (GB)(101)
Barbadine (USA)

Latest stage -

Al Zir
Ameer (IRE)
At First Sight (IRE)
Averroes (IRE)
Azmeel
Bright Horizon
Bullet Train
Cape Blanco (IRE)
Chabal (IRE)
Coordinated Cut (IRE)
Gumnd (IRE)
Hot Prospect
Jan Vermeer (IRE)
Midas Touch
Mubtassim
St Nicholas Abbey (IRE)
Ted Spread
Trovare (USA)
Workforce

Any thoughts on Al Zir's ability to stay a mile and a half? I thought he ran much better than his finishing position suggested at Newmarket. I had it tucked away in my brain to get stuck into him next time out, but hadn't really considered that it might be at Epsom.

I dont believe he will be running his 4 main contenders all in the Derby ( although it would be good for my portfolio if he did ) .

Back