The Derby

I dont believe he will be running his 4 main contenders all in the Derby ( although it would be good for my portfolio if he did ) .

They ran all four last year ! I don't see why they won't again - Ballydoyle seem to have little real interest in the Jockey Club

Hope you guys are correct, think Cape Blanco has won the best trial, and deserves to go, just some people seem to think he is a possible for France.

They ran all four last year ! I don't see why they won't again - Ballydoyle seem to have little real interest in the Jockey Club

I think they thought early on that the only way to beat Sea the Stars was to take him on mob handed. It didn't work of course but would they really have run both F&G and MCN in the Irish Champion for example if the great one had missed it?

There is nothing to beat this year so they may as well take a couple to France.

Just looking at Jan Vermeer's race now - it looks a pretty decent renewal of the race. Shintoh is really well bred while Fighting Brave is hopefully not in there to pacemake. Should be pretty informative - arguably the most interesting race on the card.

Interesting to see what they do with him - not running Jan Vermeer will surely be a massive pointer to their confidence in SNA.

Also with Coolmore starting to stand horses in France (Soldier Of Fortune) perhaps they will want Jan Ver to rack up a few biggies in France with that in mind.

Jaan Vermeer is the best 3yo I have seen this year and should run in the Derby, he is sure to be better suited by 12f than SNA.

Midas Touch probably needs the 12f more than the others so I'd say him and St Nicholas Abbey will definately go to Epsom.

One of the other two will also go to Epsom, and as you say Gal one will probably go to Chantily. Which one I could only guess at.

I would go with Cape Blanco to France,
Jaan Vermer , Midas Touch and St Nicholas to Epsom
and horse like Rain Forest for later in the Season.

Jan Vermer the number 1 in the list for me at the moment.

Given how many winners have come from the race in the last decade I would include the RP Trophy as a Derby trial. SNA earned a rating of 126p in that race.

Given how many winners have come from the race in the last decade I would include the RP Trophy as a Derby trial. SNA earned a rating of 126p in that race.

yes very good Derby trial..not guineas at all...but everyone that has seen SNA says he hasn't come on physically from last year..that would stop me backing him on its own

its no good bossing 2yo's if you don't develop same as they do.

I'm interested what AOB said about the mile timings as well..how does this timing work on gallops though?

he said that SNA was up there with his best milers from past years on the stopwatch...funny how he relies on the clock by the way..i thought they only worried about time in jail:lol:....but how can you tell that without getting horses at a racing pace over a decent stretch of ground?..would they acually have races on the gallops to test this timing thing? ..i don't get how you can fully test a horse without it being in an actual race.

I'm in neither camp re SNA..no really strong fancy or whatever..but if he were trained by anyone else he would be 10/1?

Is there a horse trained outside Ballydoyle that can beat Jan Vermeer at Epsom.I would make him a 3/1 chance on the day.

SNA & Midas Touch confirmed as definite runners - the decision on the other two will be made over the next few days.

It will be very interesting to see what they do with Jan Vermeer. The betting since the weekend strongly suggests that it's already a given he will go to Epsom and Cape Blanco will go to France.

SNA seems the one most likely to be suited to the distance of the french derby, so perhaps they are being a bit stubborn regarding their opinion of the horse. Jan Vermeer and Cape Blanco look their best two.

I see Workforce is a confirmed runner - didn't expect Stoute to run him in the Derby after the relative disappointment of the Dante.

Take out Sea The Stars and Ballydoyle would have dominated the betting and the result of the Epsom Derby last year - this is now the second year they are dominating the betting and most expect them to dominate the race to a similar extent. This is the Montjeu/Galileo influence really kicking in.

It's about time. Hard to believe they haven't won a Derby since High Chaparral considering the number of crops this pair have had.

Yes, you're right, and it'll probably continue for many a year. They are on the other hand, relatively speaking, struggling for top class milers, what with the Galileo/Montjeu offspring generally (much more so in the case of the latter) being better over further at 3.

Aside from the Godolphin horse, not much else came out of the trials. If they can put a decent jockey up on Jan Vermeer or Cape Blanco, they'll be very hard to beat.

Back