The Derby

I didn't think anything was going to catch the pacemaker either but was amazed how quickly the winner did it when asked. Flew by him, and the best of the rest could only get within half a length at the finish. Different class.

Workforce gave Sir Michael Stoute his fifth success in the Investec Derby at Epsom with a brilliant performance under Ryan Moore.
A 6-1 chance having finished second in the Dante Stakes at York, the King's Best colt was settled towards the rear by the champion jockey as Ballydoyle pacemaker At First Sight set a scorching gallop.
The latter held a huge lead turning for home, but Workforce mowed him down halfway up the straight and galloped all the way to the line to score by seven lengths in a record time.
At First Sight, sent off at 100-1, ran an incredible race to fill the runner-up spot, while Rewilding was third for Frankie Dettori.
It was a first success in the race for Moore - and the second leg of an amazing double after he secured his first Classic victory on Snow Fairy in Friday's Oaks.
Stoute, who had registered previous Derby wins with Shergar (1981), Shahrastani (1986), Kris Kin (2003) and North Light (2004), has never made any secret of the regard in which he holds Workforce.
He arrived at Epsom on the back of just two starts, an impressive debut win at Goodwood as a juvenile and his second to Cape Blanco on the Knavesmire.
Aidan O'Brien's Jan Vermeer was sent off the hot favourite under Johnny Murtagh but could only finish fourth.
Moore said: "He had a really clean run, I was happy where I was in the race.
"We got a dream run and he quickened really well. The ground was fast enough for him, but he's a really good horse and I'm delighted with that.
"This is the most important race to me, it's great to ride for the boss (Stoute) and Prince Khalid (Abdullah, owner). It's really good day."
Stoute said: "The Dante didn't go as we wanted and it was unsatisfactory, but he was seriously good today.
"I'm delighted for Ryan. He's a confident lad, but after he missed Conduit's win in the Leger, I wanted to get the monkey (Classic win) off his back."
At First Sight's rider Seamie Heffernan said: "I was second on one of the favourites (Fame And Glory) last year and I was second on an outsider today. My experience of the course helped and they just let me go."
Murtagh added: "I was right upsides Ryan (Moore), but when he quickened up I couldn't go with him. I was never really confident at any stage."
O'Brien said: "Jan Vermeer lost both his front shoes, but the second horse stays really well. The winner looked exceptional."
Saeed bin Suroor said of third-placed Rewilding: "He still needs the experience and he will be a better horse later on in the season.
"Frankie said a mile and a quarter or a mile and a half is his trip. I don't think he's a Leger horse, he has a lot of speed."
Of Bullet Train, trainer Henry Cecil said: "He came down the hill at Lingfield but he didn't come down the hill today. I'll have to look at him, but I can't see anything wrong with him and there are no other excuses really."
John Gosden said of Azmeel: "Our boy was too keen early on and didn't relax until it was too late. That said, it wouldn't have mattered compared to the winner."

Immensely impressive - although there was some shockingly ill judged riding in the pack - At First Sight's form was much better than a Set Sail on his run behind Midas Touch and those who just let him go looked idiots . Moore was wise to it even before the home turn as he was making headway. What was stunning was how he made up six or seven lengths in a furlong and then swept by .

As visually impressive as Nashwan from a less promising position- the only wonder is how good the field was .

SNA will need an amazing Lazarus act to turn this horse over at the Curragh !

As good as Troy, I'd say, which is going some. The way he just took off 3f out was electrifying.

I must say, I'm fast reviewing my opinion of Moore's ability.

Given the way he gobbled up the trip, I'd have him at the Curragh. Prince Khalid's previous winners have gone there haven't they?

Given the way he gobbled up the trip, I'd have him at the Curragh. Prince Khalid's previous winners have gone there haven't they?

Love to see him come over - and the ground at The Curragh should suit him fine. I guess the Eclipse is the alternative option.

Thank God the "beaten in the Dante, never wins the Derby" trend is put to bed.

I'd put him away for the Arc. They need to give him plenty of time to get over today. He might be even better next year.

Willie Carson knows what he's talking about when it comes to horses' conformation. It could be that Rewilding will be a superstar next season.

Shame only Moore was awake (and possibly Frankie) - besides Mr Heffernan!
It leaves me wondering ... in a way, those other jocks let down the occasion.

All praise to Stoute & Moore, tho.

It does - but it should be mentioned that Workforce slaughtered Coordinated Cut by much further today than in the Dante.

A totally different horse today. I can't see Cape Blanco doing what Workforce did today, but then he is unbeaten so who knows. Hopefully he'll run well tomorrow and they can meet again.

quite a bizarre race to watch..i'm watching the pacemaker thinking..thats got to drop into some kind of a hole..its a long way in front..whats happening here?..then when Workforce came out of pack i knew my 27.5p bet was safe

very odd looking finish to a Derby wasn't it?

Pacemaker went 2/1 in running.

He was a great spreads buy at 1 this morning in fairness, major after-timing admitedly!

Very. I'd take the view that Rewilding is a thorough stayer and the others either aren't any good or need softer ground/different track. The winner is high class but 6/1 quotes for the Arc are very premature.

I thought Jan Vermeer was still going as well as the winner coming out of Tattenham Corner, moved into third over 2f out but didn't see his race out and barely hung onto fourth.

Pacemaker went 2/1 in running.

He was a great spreads buy at 1 this morning in fairness, major after-timing admitedly!

i'm not surprised he went that short..it did look for sure he could win..we could use the silly argument..if Workforce hadn't run..a pacemaker wins the Derby..a first probably

Back