The Dewhurst

Maybe not but it's horrible ground - very loose and the kickback is terrible.

Nothing could make the ground look superb today, Ardross. I'd also slightly question this idea of Frankel settling well at Ascot, it looked more like he was running away with Queally, who let him go.

this is what you get with watering it all year round..it weakens it and causes this carry on..most courses bar Bath will suffer it

the challenge stakes looked a true run race..if its a fair marker then Frankel has got a massive 125 speed figure..thats without wfa...yikes

Last edited:
yes
faster time than the Challenge, bumped in the start, not settling and no touch of the whip,
Frankel looks a monster, has the potential to be the best horse ever.

What didn't go right for him other than a bump at the start?

Did the front two get shown the whip in the final furlong?

It was a bit more than a bump, crossed by two horses, which lit him up and he pulled for his head for 3-4 furlongs. Queally said he was more settled on the way to the start than at Ascot so it can't have helped and yet he still won comfortably. Murtagh struck Roderic five times in the last two furlongs. Queally didn't hit Frankel once and barely showed him the whip. The ground wasn't ideal either and Murtagh got the run of the race on the second. He was value for more I reckon.

Last edited:
Basically the only thing that went against him was the bump. He was lit up at Ascot (nearly ran away with jockey at Ascot) so I do not see why it should be assumed it was because of the bump - particularly when reports of his work are all about how exuberant he is.

The ground again is hardly an issue for him given his wins at Ascot and on his debut. I think some are disappointed he did not win hard held like at Ascot, thinking he some how ran below form when in truth he beat better horses comfortably today and that's what he is.

Basically the only thing that went against him was the bump. He was lit up at Ascot (nearly ran away with jockey at Ascot) so I do not see why it should be assumed it was because of the bump - particularly when reports of his work are all about how exuberant he is.

The ground again is hardly an issue for him given his wins at Ascot and on his debut. I think some are disappointed he did not win hard held like at Ascot, thinking he some how ran below form when in truth he beat better horses comfortably today and that's what he is.

he has run a race today faster than any other 2yo..how can it be viewed as anything more than his best run and the best run we have seen from a 2yo

i am quite amused by the fact that when he was potentially the fastest 2yo.. people were fawning all over him..now he has actually delivered its like its a pile of crap

totally bemused

I think Abdullah should be looking for a good pacemaker since now,

the horse travells like a machine but after today I have more doubts him staying 12f, in the mile and 10f this horse could become a monster.

When I say "that's all he is " I do of course mean a brilliant colt and being by Galileo there is little chance of him not training on.

I agree - It was a very good performance. He was more settled on the way to post today than Ascot and that race was run at a real dawdle unlike today. It certainly meant he didn't have the ideal race.

You would have expected a Montjeu to train on too.

He's a brilliant two yr old but I'm sure Cecil is not counting any chickens.

He has two very nice 3yos to look forward to next year IMO - Frankel and Picture Editor. Obviously Frankel is a superstar 2yo also but he doesn't look the biggest (and neither does Picture Editor for that matter) but I get the impression like others that Frankel will have difficulty staying 12f, particularly if he's going to pull that hard again as a 3yo.

I like picture editor as well.

I have to say frankel is not impressive to look at. Ri
Roderic on the small side.

Loved RODERIC - he was slightly crabbed on ATR today about being on the 'better' ground nearest the rails, but so what? He still blew everything bar the latest wonder horse to smithereens and was tremendously brave. Nice tidy little fellow, too, which is no doubt why he skipped along so merrily - the rest looked like they were running on dead legs. Divots coming up the size of bloody dinner-plates - the ground must've been very, very sticky and inhospitable.

Craven the likeliest route given that's where he ran Twice Over?

I think Wollow ran in the Greenham but I cannot remember. He did not run in the Craven as Malinowski who he had beaten in the Dewhurst won that but I think went wrong afterwards .

Just checked he did indeed .

Last edited:
Get the strong impression that Cecil doesn't fancy the Derby route with this horse - and who can blame him? Surely way too exuberant and way too much pace for a Derby? Now, the July Cup on the other hand.....

Get the strong impression that Cecil doesn't fancy the Derby route with this horse - and who can blame him? Surely way too exuberant and way too much pace for a Derby? Now, the July Cup on the other hand.....

There will be pressure on Cecil to go for the Derby but he's not the sort to bow to it. He was (correctly, as it turned out) never convinced Twice Over was a 12f horse even though he'd won over 10f as a two-year-old and didn't go to Epsom with him where plenty of trainers would have let him take his chance.

I backed Frankel for both the Guineas and Derby after his Doncaster win but the more we've seen of him the less he's looked like a Derby horse. Predictably, I've more on him for the Derby than the Guineas!

Craven, 2000 Guineas, French Derby or St James Palace, Eclipse, International or Summer break, Irish Champion, BC Classic will be the route I imagine.

Are we not rewriting history with Twice Over? Having ran in the Craven they swerved the Guineas to go to the Dante. Why would they have run in the Dante if they weren't aiming at the Derby? Didn't he come back sick after York?

Back