The Epsom Derby

175 Curragh

Sun, Jun 30​

Issued Date: 30-Jun-24 at 08:22
Issued By: Racecourse
Curragh Racecourse: 045 441 205

GOING:
Yielding. ,good in places (Fresh ground) & yielding (Raced ground) on both tracks Following 12mm of rain since Friday night. 7-8 yards fresh ground today. Mainly dry with possibility of 1 mm approx according to Met Éireann. Racing on Stands Side track & stalls in centre for all sprints.

I think that by the time they've run a few races it will be yielding to soft all round. It won't be fast summer ground.

Not what I was hoping for but that should put to rest who thought Rab Havlin should have gone sooner at Epsom. He went plenty early enough today but clearly never stayed. Well done those who backed the winner

Not what I was hoping for but that should put to rest who thought Rab Havlin should have gone sooner at Epsom. He went plenty early enough today but clearly never stayed. Well done those who backed him.
Not what I was hoping for but that should put to rest who thought Rab Havlin should have gone sooner at Epsom. He went plenty early enough today but clearly never stayed. Well done those who backed the winner.

LA's a big horse and ran at Epsom as pace for the wonder horse,imo.The more galloping nature of the Currragh was always going to suit better - just wish I'd bet him.instead of Matsuri. :(

Not what I was hoping for but that should put to rest who thought Rab Havlin should have gone sooner at Epsom. He went plenty early enough today but clearly never stayed. Well done those who backed the winner
Completely wrong take I'm afraid.

He had just hosed up in a Derby trial. They went in to the race with no issues about the trip. You then ride the race accordingly. He was in prime position with the fav on the inside well back. Moore has had to use a lot of horse to make ground up. It's at that point you make COT who was deemed quick enough to win the 2000 earn it, test whether he would have seen it out having been asked a question a long way out.

Anyhow, I have already stated that I would rather have seen him in the Eclipse as that maybe his optimum.

Matsuri clearly the one to take from the race.

Matsuri looked physically immature alongside the other horses in the parade ring, especially LA, who is so robust you could ride him into battle. He then got a rough passage in the straight. I don’t think he could have won, but I agree that he is one to take from the race.

Thought it was a gritty performance by LA. I was a little worried beforehand as he looked a bit fractious but he’s a bull of a horse and the race was run to suit him.

LA may still be improving. I wouldn't back the 3rd or 4th to reverse the form tbh. Think la will stay in training and could well be an even better 4 year old. Huge beast all right. Lovely stamp of a camelot. Very underrated sire IMHO.

Indeed he reminds me of Dylan Thomas.
This horse is a galloper , they went quick and kept it up.
The final bend was riding too sharp all weekend; that said head groundsman William Brophy had a cardiac episode last Tuesday he was may have survived had he been alone at the time.
A very good competitive race, well worth attending on a nice dry day.
Pity about yesterday's rain.

That's exactly who la reminds me of. Profile similar to Dylan Thomas. Was still fractious before the race and as he matures and settles could be similar to Dylan Thomas in his trajectory.

He had just hosed up in a Derby trial. They went in to the race with no issues about the trip. You then ride the race accordingly. He was in prime position with the fav on the inside well back. Moore has had to use a lot of horse to make ground up. It's at that point you make COT who was deemed quick enough to win the 2000 earn it, test whether he would have seen it out having been asked a question a long way out.

Anyhow, I have already stated that I would rather have seen him in the Eclipse as that maybe his optimum.

Seem the trainer has the same opinion as myself ..to be frank the way he hit the front 2f out he looked like he had the race won but then Moore who looked beaten was given another chance when Rab's mount ran out of stamina a blind man could see it was a bridge too far....don't worry you can't be wrong all the time🤪

One that never surprised me Was Sunway..,.he has a big race in him...he is very bad when bad but dangerous when at his best

Seem the trainer has the same opinion as myself ..to be frank the way he hit the front 2f out he looked like he had the race won but then Moore who looked beaten was given another chance when Rab's mount ran out of stamina a blind man could see it was a bridge too far....don't worry you can't be wrong all the time🤪
Well yes it's pretty obvious what happened in the Irish Derby. (Already stated I would have ran him in Eclipse).

The debate was about Epsom where we had less answers about trip before the race.

I stand by what I said about AF in the Derby but the Irish version has suggested he doesn't stay a strongly run 12f. Coolmore saw to that with the pace they set.

I can't see AF winning an all-age G1 at 10f either. He just isn't good enough.

Take AF (OR 118) out of the race and the first three home at the Curragh were rated 113, 110 and 102. That's some way below proper G1 levels.

Back