The Epsom Derby

He will go where cot doesn't go apparently. Presumably they will avoid him if they can. Easy to do apparently. Grand prix de paris my guess.

Ambiente Friendly confirmed for Irish Derby. Inevitable once COT was given green light for Eclipse.

Suspect he'll find Los Angelese harder to beat,now he's not pace for COT.
LA will want pace to run at mind. AF has gears and travelled so well in the Derby.
Interesting to see how it pans out.
That said, was hoping AF would go for the Eclipse.

Not sure LA is that one-paced. He was flattening out at the end of the Derby but he had helped maintain the strong pace and entitled to flag a bit. Ridden with more restraint there has to be a chance he has just as good a turn of foot as AF. It will be interesting to find out but the chances are it won't be a two-horse race.

Hard to believe that City Of Troy's OR is 124,the same he went into the Derby off, (after being dropped 1lb for a 17l defeat in the Guineas):rolleyes:

He was a devastatingly impressive 2yo worthy of his lofty mark.

Dropping the mark for his defeat in the Guineas was a token gesture although when they flop really badly the handicapper tends to ignore it. It's when they run 5-10lbs below form that the handicapper tends to react more. I reckon if COT had run a bit better at Newmarket and finished about 7th or 8th he might well have been dropped more, counter-intuitive as that might sound.

In the Derby he didn't have to be at his best so taking his mark back to 124 was just the handicapper correcting the previous negative move.

I still think he's a lot better than we saw in the Derby.

Hard luck with your selection, Luke, but Voyage is surely one to keep an eye on. How many horses would be able to do what he did? He galloped free, going from last to first in the space of a few furlongs on the toughest part of the track, ran wide around Tattenham Corner before leading the field up the straight.

Of course, he had no jockey while doing all that but it surely suggests he has an engine and an appetite for racing.
It's going to be fascinating to see how Voyage gets on today.

Back