The Festival Handicaps

Four of the first six in the County betting appear unlikely to run. Tombstone and Ballyandy seem destined to take-up other engagements, and both Peace & Co and Movewiththetimes will swerve the Festival, so it's somewhat bizarre to see the first three of those named, being backed this morning according to Oddschecker.

There has to be some price value amongst those around 12/1 and higher. Their price can only go one way, once final decs are made.

What do you mean value grassy.?..........you mean if I want to back Peace and Co eg at 12/1 you will lay it knowing the trainer stated he wont run? That makes you what???

I have Singlefarmpayment at 14s and was gonna top up but cannot be arsed at his current price so may use Holywell as part of a dutch. He's much more under the radar this year which as we all know is Jonjo's M.O.

think he's starting to get on the radar. price is a few points shorter than it was last night.

Aye Fistan. :) Holywell is my only serious (win) single bet tomorrow.

I'm sticking Ballyandy, (best of a mediocre bunch), and The New One in a £1 patent for fun, (would like to see The New One win, don't expect him to though for obvious reasons)

I'm on a train to my hometown London on Wednesday afternoon (couldn't be avoided), so I'm not planning to back anything this day. No desperation!

I've already written down a Lucky 15 for Thursday, (Cole Harden a big horse for me, been there, done it before, back in form now. He could find a chink in Harry's armour). Tom George's What's Happening and David Pipe's Doctor Harper are catching my eye in The Kim Muir, both each way. I hope one is taken out, and one stays in to make my decision easier on the day.

Friday is all about being on track, hopefully catching up with a couple of people. Mohaayed getting a run in the County would be decent. Champagne West in The Gold Cup as well, (though it looks like he will not get the ground as soft as he probably wants). I'll settle for a place on him.

That's the plan for the week. 10 or so bets, the odd Lucky 15 (stake sizes will depend on how I'm faring).

You can't force your luck. We'll all get roughly what we deserve at the end of the financial week.

Best of luck to everyone.

Last edited:
All over him (Holywell) and will be having a big e/w double with Champers on Ice in the 4 miler. Absolutely laid out for the race.

All over him (Holywell) and will be having a big e/w double with Champers on Ice in the 4 miler. Absolutely laid out for the race.

Why would you lay a horse out for the 4 miler? Doesn't make any sense.

Holywell for me as well along with Ibis Du Rheu who I can't see out of the first three.

If I have a bet it won't be on Holywell he's seen better days and even Jonjo might not have him 100% this time.

Huge fan of Davy Russell so I will probably have my fiver on him

I'm lost as to why you think laying a horse out for the 4m is any different to laying one out for the Fred Winter or over any other trip? They know he needs extreme trips from how he runs. I'm pretty sure this would have been the plan since the Albert Bartlett last year.

I thought you meant as a plot with one race in mind, akin to Un Temps Pour Tout last year. He's got a lot to find with BTB and is jumping leaves a lot to be desired. I'm not saying he can't win though.

I thought you meant as a plot with one race in mind, akin to Un Temps Pour Tout last year. He's got a lot to find with BTB and is jumping leaves a lot to be desired. I'm not saying he can't win though.

Sorry think I may have been unclear making it sound like a plot reading back. I know one thing the horse probably needs further than 4m so the greater the stamina test this is the better.

Aye Fistan. :) Holywell is my only serious (win) single bet tomorrow.

I'm sticking Ballyandy, (best of a mediocre bunch), and The New One in a £1 patent for fun, (would like to see The New One win, don't expect him to though for obvious reasons)

I'm on a train to my hometown London on Wednesday afternoon (couldn't be avoided), so I'm not planning to back anything this day. No desperation!

I've already written down a Lucky 15 for Thursday, (Cole Harden a big horse for me, been there, done it before, back in form now. He could find a chink in Harry's armour). Tom George's What's Happening and David Pipe's Doctor Harper are catching my eye in The Kim Muir, both each way. I hope one is taken out, and one stays in to make my decision easier on the day.

Friday is all about being on track, hopefully catching up with a couple of people. Mohaayed getting a run in the County would be decent. Champagne West in The Gold Cup as well, (though it looks like he will not get the ground as soft as he probably wants). I'll settle for a place on him.

That's the plan for the week. 10 or so bets, the odd Lucky 15 (stake sizes will depend on how I'm faring).

You can't force your luck. We'll all get roughly what we deserve at the end of the financial week.

Best of luck to everyone.

Having looked at the form I won't be missing the opportunity to back Project Bluebook for The Fred Winter tomorrow, despite the fact I'll probably be somewhere near Darlington on the train to London. The main danger looks like the Henderson horse directly above him that carries the top weight, but my gosh, Project Bluebook ticks some boxes. A must-punt horse. He can't be out the first three, surely, so therefore looks value at 12/1 as well.

Last edited:
Mohaayed just scraped in off bottom weight...no.26 in the list in the county. We'll see how good he is tomorrow.

Back