The Gold Cup 2010

I'm not sure if Joncol is a mudlark. I just think he's a galloper.

Most competitive rather than best surely - I would expect Denman, Best Mate, Beefy at his best ,Florida Pearl and even Exotic Dancer to have seen this lot off.

I think he meant best in the sense that it's the most interesting race rather than a straight match - with previous clashes that were basically head to heads ruined by complaints from the losing party that they weren't right on the day. There's far more depth to this and, interestingly, while it's normally the King George which sees horses take on a new distance, we have the likes of Schindlers Hunt and Voy Por Ustedes here to make things very interesting [although SH didn't appear to get it behind Notre Pere at Punch]

Nevertheless, with the 2nd and 3rd from last year's Ryanair, the Sun Alliance winner, the Hennessey runner up, a Welsh National winner, the John Durkan winner, and injury prone talents like Aran Concerto and In Compliance, I think it's the best Lexus there has been. A nice mix of established talent and potential.

You can go to a football stadium with a 50,000 crowd and not wait any more than a few minutes at any of the food counters. And most of their business tends to get done in the 25 minute spell straddling 5 minutes before halftime and 5 minutes after halftime.

The vibes in the Racing Post suggest McCoy will ride Denman in the Gold Cup? RPR give Kauto Star a rating of 192.

The market for the Lexus is fascinating. Cooldine is actually pretty strong in the market this morning, as is What A Friend with Joncol being pretty steady. Notre Pere is friendless.

I had to give up and come bnack to work - did they run?? what happened?? ( come to think of it, does anyone know what happened really - it looked mighty thick !!!)

Lost some more money on Crackaway Jack today , SL ? :rolleyes:- or just being your usual charming self ?

Somebody has to counteract your puerile whining every time you set foot on a racecourse - on all of the handful of occasions a year that you seem to go you come back with some bitching about the queues, or the lack of atmosphere, or the state of the ground, or something. Why not sit at home and watch it on the television when you can get the butler to bring you a nice cup of tea whenever you want one?!

DO, I would assume that you don't have to queue long for cups of tea at football matches anyway as they're all on the lager....

....besides which, I cannot imagine where Ardross would have to queue for more than 5 minutes to get his precious cup of char anyway as all the queue were pretty good, relatively speaking! He's just in old woman mode again.

...and no, I didn't lose any money on Crack Away Jack!! I didn't realise we were resorting to playground tactics anyway!!!!

Last edited:
Ah Christ, Shadow and Ardross - don't ruin the bloody Gold Cup thread. Take it elsewhere. The last thing we need when discussing the Lexus Chase is two old wagons banging on...

It was pretty interesting to see the money coming for Cooldine in a race where there was strong competition from race fit rivals. Encouraging to see considering the vibes have not been at all positive all Autumn.

Kempton is a dump and the relentless attempts to sell Kauto Star merchandise throughout the afternoon were appallingly tacky, the M25 was hell on earth and I had to wait about three hours to get a cup of tea - despite that it was a fabulous afternoon.

The m25 is not the responsibilty of the Kempton management..as far as i know...and is also about 10 miles down the road

Driving in and out of the course was easy and very well managed. I drove straight in with no delays at all and was away within ten minutes of getting in car after races

A dump? In what way? All the facilities are as smart as anywhere else i can think of. Can think of courses in a lot worse shape

Atmosphere was superb and all i noticed all afternoon was people genuinely enjoying themselves (rather than the frustrated expresions ive seen at Cheltenham and Newmarket to name two)

Without wanting to sound smart Grasshopper everyone was going to be within the range of 190-193. No one has the balls to go any higher and and anything under 190 would be laughed out the door. I would like to hear some exact explainations as to how the various figures were arrived at.

Back