The Gold Cup 2010

I watched with a bird. She wanted to know why Ruby was slapping the horse after he had won. I explained it was a slap of effection, like the ones I give her...

The difference being that Ruby slapped his horse after 6 mins and you slap the good lady after 30 seconds....shower included....:whistle:

I was one of only two in the bookies who was willing him on. The other was a coffin dodger who had a fiver on at 4/7 and gave his wife a knowing look as he collected his winnings. The other four seemed more interested in the dogs at Newcastle.

This Arkle must have been half-decent to be able to give a couple of stone away to Kauto Star...

After all, didn't he beat a horse rated 177 or something close36 lengths?

Madison de Berlais' OR is 169. The flip side of that is you could say he beat a 156 horse (Barber Shop) by 37 lengths.

Awesome performance from Kauto yesterday, summed up by a text I got from a mate. 'He appears to have won by a fence!' Haven't seen a published figure yet, but Mill House fans probably should be worried!

Nice to see that Phil Smith has taken the opportunity to embarrass himself again. '190 has a sort of psychological barrier to it so ot's interesting' FFS:blink:

The flip side of that is you could say he beat a 156 horse (Barber Shop) by 37 lengths.

That wouldn't do the performance justice.

37 lengths works out at 28lbs. That would put him on 'just' 183. However, it's the kind of line the officials would normally work to and they could quite easily say the two horses have run to form in relation to their respective ORs. (Which begs the question, how on earth could anyone fancy BS yesterday?)

Nice to see that Phil Smith has taken the opportunity to embarrass himself again. '190 has a sort of psychological barrier to it so ot's interesting' FFS:blink:

Again?

What other embarrassing remarks has he made?

The entire handicapping system has become far better since Smith took over. He's virtually single-handedly revived the Grand National by recognising the need for lowering the ORs of the better horses to tempt connections into running their horses.

I agree the above remark is a bit odd but I'd suggest he's referring to the racing media in general, in the sense that pundits tend to think horses can't be rated that high [190+], just as younger punters can't accept that Arkle was that much better than everything else before or since.

That wouldn't do the performance justice.

37 lengths works out at 28lbs. That would put him on 'just' 183. However, it's the kind of line the officials would normally work to and they could quite easily say the two horses have run to form in relation to their respective ORs. (Which begs the question, how on earth could anyone fancy BS yesterday?)

Good point about fancying Barber Shop yesterday. To me he looked to run to his mark at the very least, id be inclined to think it was improved form but he was smashed to pieces by surely a 200 rated animal. Anyone worked out the times?

Good point about fancying Barber Shop yesterday. To me he looked to run to his mark at the very least, id be inclined to think it was improved form but he was smashed to pieces by surely a 200 rated animal. Anyone worked out the times?

As I said yesterday, I'll probably rate the race via my previous high for Barber Shop, which was 165. That would put Kauto Star on 193 plus whatever he had in reserve.

Having stated after the Hennessy that Denman had posted a rating higher than I had for Kauto Star, the latter has now gone and upped the ante. It's brilliant stuff. I now can't see any way Denman can beat a fully fit and ready Kauto Star.

:D

DO, are you Phil?

I've more hair than Phil.

Having been rating races for over 30 years, I admire the job he's done. In addition to the great job he's done with the National, he's also recognised and sorted the prolem of 'slippage' in the ratings of hurdlers. He's also very open in his dealings with the media and he's good at explaining his thinking.

This all helps the punters appreciate the finer points of the system although, as Betsmate (was it?) said earlier, there are some punters in some shops that will never appreciate anything other than where their next fix is coming from.

Looks the best Lexus Chase I can remember -

Joncol
Notre Pere
Cooldine
What A Friend
Voy Por Ustedes
In Compliance
Money Trix
Aran Concerto
Schindlers Hunt
Cloudy Lane
Jy Vole
Cane Brake

Notre Pere will struggle if the rains do not arrive but you can make a case for alot of these.

20s is way too big about Aran Concerto. With the well known doubts about some at the front of the market he is a very good each way bet.

Would be surprised if Voy Por stayed although the ground isn't as heavy here as you might expect. Willie Mullins indicated Cooldine would need the run so I'd maybe take him out of win considerations. Then again, Ruby has gone for him over What A Friend so he must be forward enough. Ground may not be testing enough for Notre Pere.

I like Joncol, and I think In Compliance is overpriced at 20's/25's which is his tissue price in a few places.

Kempton is a dump and the relentless attempts to sell Kauto Star merchandise throughout the afternoon were appallingly tacky, the M25 was hell on earth and I had to wait about three hours to get a cup of tea - despite that it was a fabulous afternoon.

That was undoubtedly the best performance by a racehorse I have ever seen - what was breathtaking was how he picked up between the second last and the last to go so far clear.

If KS turns up at Cheltenham in that form ,no matter whether Denman is at his best - he will win. Surely , that was the best run by a staying chaser since Arkle retired - without question.

Last edited:
I'm with you there regards In Compliance Bobbyjo. Massively over priced! If they go off at those prices i think there'll be a boilover tomorrow.

Looks the best Lexus Chase I can remember -

Joncol
Notre Pere
Cooldine
What A Friend
Voy Por Ustedes
In Compliance
Money Trix
Aran Concerto
Schindlers Hunt
Cloudy Lane
Jy Vole
Cane Brake

Notre Pere will struggle if the rains do not arrive but you can make a case for alot of these.

Most competitive rather than best surely - I would expect Denman, Best Mate, Beefy at his best ,Florida Pearl and even Exotic Dancer to have seen this lot off.

Cooldine will probably need the run but might still be good enough. In Compliance might be the best value for a place. Notre Pere would need to improve on his Haydock run to figure.

Kempton is a dump and the relentless attempts to sell Kauto Star merchandise throughout the afternoon were appallingly tacky, the M25 was hell on earth and I had to wait about three hours to get a cup of tea -

Where did you go to get a cup of tea then??? Was it a 3 hour walk into Richmond????!!!!!

People cannot expect to go to these big days racing and not have to queue for anything. Indeed, if you had gone to Kempton yesterday and you hadn't had to queue you would have moaned like hell that the place was empty and had no atmosphere! There were 22,000 people at the place yesterday, it's a small track ffs, what do you expect?

The queues yesterday were actually very good indeed - a fraction of the waiting time that you would have at the likes of Cheltenham, Aintree, Ascot, Goodwood et al.

Make your mind up. Do you want a decent crowd and atmosphere or do you want to be able to buy a cup of tea without having to queue? Maybe you should have gone to one of the many bars around and bought a brandy, it might have helped loosen you up a bit. :D

Where did you go to get a cup of tea then??? Was it a 3 hour walk into Richmond????!!!!!

People cannot expect to go to these big days racing and not have to queue for anything. Indeed, if you had gone to Kempton yesterday and you hadn't had to queue you would have moaned like hell that the place was empty and had no atmosphere! There were 22,000 people at the place yesterday, it's a small track ffs, what do you expect?

The queues yesterday were actually very good indeed - a fraction of the waiting time that you would have at the likes of Cheltenham, Aintree, Ascot, Goodwood et al.

Make your mind up. Do you want a decent crowd and atmosphere or do you want to be able to buy a cup of tea without having to queue? Maybe you should have gone to one of the many bars around and bought a brandy, it might have helped loosen you up a bit. :D

Lost some more money on Crackaway Jack today , SL ? :rolleyes:- or just being your usual charming self ?

Back