The Gold Cup 2010

He already has Gear, the RPR's are meaningless, Timeform have always had him ahead of MM. I think they will push him at or very near to Dessie now.

Kauto Star now clear favourite. Hard to imagine a Denman win in a 3 runner Aon Chase changing that - the only way he will go off favourite is if the ground goes testing. Denman available at 5/2 now.

Its going to be some build up to the race this year. That 5-2 will appeal to plenty, not least on here.

It is a real shame that there is not a race around Christmas that would suit both. I agree the build up is going to be mega, but the last clashes of the greats (Moscow Flyer, Azteryuiop and Well Chief) were thrilling in that we got to see them race against each other a few times on different courses.

Alot of those placed horses today will have had a really hard race (second in a row now for Barber Shop) and could be feeling them for the rest of the season.

Like Denman, Dessie's highest ratings were achieved by giving awat lumps of weight to smart hadicappers. Kauto Star has dismantled a field of Grade 1 winners.

I'll be catching the replay on C4+1 shortly. That will help me confirm what I believe was the winning distance (which I'll share with you). I think it's a bit unsatisfactory that the 'official' margin was called 'a distance'. I think the form book will specify the actual number of lengths.

I'm not convinced Madison Du Berlais ran to his best form, mind, but it was still good enough to beat a very smart type in Barber Shop.

It will be fascinating to see how the time figures work out, particularly relative to the Feltham.

MDB looked to simply run through beaten horses who tried to go with Kauto Star. I cannot have him running to anything that special and he looked mulish alot of the way around.

Like Denman, Dessie's highest ratings were achieved by giving awat lumps of weight to smart hadicappers. Kauto Star has dismantled a field of Grade 1 winners.

I'll be catching the replay on C4+1 shortly. That will help me confirm what I believe was the winning distance (which I'll share with you). I think it's a bit unsatisfactory that the 'official' margin was called 'a distance'. I think the form book will specify the actual number of lengths.

I'm not convinced Madison Du Berlais ran to his best form, mind, but it was still good enough to beat a very smart type in Barber Shop.

It will be fascinating to see how the time figures work out, particularly relative to the Feltham.

He won by 36 lengths DO.

He won by 36 lengths DO.

I made it 32, which is still some going.

I'm convinced the visual impression of the race up the home straight could be misleading. Kauto was 17 strides ahead of Madison at the last and 16 ahead at the line. That would account for Kauto not being asked for maximum effor in the last few yards and it would also suggest Barber Shop and Nacarat were slowing up, which they were entitled to do.

Looking at the race again, I'd say Madison was not cleverly ridden. He was probably too prominent in the first circuit and only stayed on once he got his second wind over the last four fences.

Nacarat ran really well but was also probably asked too much in front. In a lower grade he'l be able to go half a stride slower and probably run lesser opponents into the ground.

Barber Shop got the ideal ride. Tracked Kauto all the way just off the pace and looked booked for second until the last fence.

All in all, it was a great race but I'd wonder if the front runers did too much and killed their own chances. Imperial Commander's chance went at the second fence. Deep Purple burst and Albertas Run was never realy in it, so the main 'contenders' didn't really run to form.

My initial provisional figures put Kauto on 191 for the bare form but he was allowed to pop the last instead of being ridden into it, which would probably allow him another couple of pounds.

That would be the highest conditions race form I can remember since I started rating.

And I can happily accept that Arkle was a fair bit better.

Was a very special at Kempton today. Possibly the best atmosphere i recall at any meeting

It is extraordinary that he might now be reaching his peak after what is quite along career now. Great training feat of course, but it is striking how he is actually jumping better than before.

Looking at the race again, I'd say Madison was not cleverly ridden. He was probably too prominent in the first circuit and only stayed on once he got his second wind over the last four fences.

Nacarat ran really well but was also probably asked too much in front. In a lower grade he'l be able to go half a stride slower and probably run lesser opponents into the ground.

Barber Shop got the ideal ride. Tracked Kauto all the way just off the pace

Yes. MDB wasn't really the second best horse in the race. Imagine the race was ran without KS and Nacarat wouldn't have had to need stoking down the backstraight just to keep alongside the winner and BS wouldn't have needed pushing along at the same stage - meaning both would have had more in the tank near the end of the race resulting in them not going slow enough to catch.

Why do we bother with handicap ratings for a horse like this? This is a beast and a half, he's far to good to talk about ratings, to pinch a remark that Mickey Joe said about Giant's Causeway "he's an awesome 'oss"

Yes. MDB wasn't really the second best horse in the race. Imagine the race was ran without KS and Nacarat wouldn't have had to need stoking down the backstraight just to keep alongside the winner and BS wouldn't have needed pushing along at the same stage - meaning both would have had more in the tank near the end of the race resulting in them not going slow enough to catch.

I suspect Imperial Commander was the second best horse in the race but the market put me off it this morning. I think if Madison had been ridden more conservatively on the first circuit he might have been well clear in second.

I watched the race amongst the family today, none of whom took any interest in proceedings whatsoever.

After listening to me roaring Kauto Star all the way up the straight to victory, several asked "Did you back it?", to which I replied "No".

To a man/woman, they looked completely non-plussed and asked "So....what was all the fuss about then?". I tried to explain to them the magnitutde of Kauto Star's achievement in winning the race, and where he fits in the historical firmament, but even a "It's probably the greatest run by a racehorse in 40 years" was met with complete bewilderment and/or utter indifference across the board.

We should consider ourselves lucky - because 99.999999% of people on the planet are denied the pleasure of enoying such a special, special horse.

So consistent, so game, so classy, so versatile, such longevity at the very top. I could heap the superlatives on Kauto Star all day long, and not get tired.

And all this on the back of one of the best handicap performances in the last 25 years..........from the horse who lives in the box next door................and with the pair scheduled to meet in the "decider" in 3 months time.

The script would be laughed out of Hollywood.

My family is the same. I went round after the Racing and all they were talking about were how nice Ant and Dec were, how disappointing Victoria Wood was the other night and the football.

I feel sorry for people who aren't into the sport.

I watched with a bird. She wanted to know why Ruby was slapping the horse after he had won. I explained it was a slap of effection, like the ones I give her...

Indeed we are very lucky indeed to be living through an age of chasers like this from Moscow Flyers era on to now plus having just seen Sea The Stars this year as well. Blessed indeed.

My family is the same. I went round after the Racing and all they were talking about were how nice Ant and Dec were, how disappointing Victoria Wood was the other night and the football.

I feel sorry for people who aren't into the sport.

An extremely special performance.

I wonder if people who think Arkle is genuinely a 210 horse not think the same of Kauto today.

After all, didn't he beat a horse rated 177 or something close36 lengths?

Last edited:
Back