The Gold Cup 2010

They really must have kicked on late down the back because they went pretty steady for long enough - Cooldine was pulling for much of the way and that suggests they were not going fast.

IC much better than I have ever given him credit for....7 lengths in the end...wow.

As for Cooldine it will be interesting to see if he turns out at Punchestown - thought he jumped a bit sticky and ran like perhaps his prep suggested - ran miles below his best on a like through Curuthers. Either way he was nowhere near good enough on the day.

Cooldine looked very keen all the way round to me.

Great run by denman glad Kauto Star is ok looked a fall that could have had fatal consequences and it is a true saying in this game there are no good things.

What a weird race. I don't remember them ever going so steadily in a Gold Cup other than when it was bottomless.

I didn't think Ruby looked too happy before Kauto's first mistake. I'd wonder if he and MM were either overtrained or got at.

However, Imperial Commander was a smashing winner and it was great to see Paddy Brennan enjoy the aftermath so much. I wish more jockeys would show that level of emotion.

For the record, I backed Cooldine without the big two and I wasn't happy after half a mile. I'll want to see him in a much more strongly run race.

When I saw it happen I couldn't watch the rest, all that was going through my head was Citizen Vic, only just been able to regain composure.

Imperial Commander, best RPR 177

Denman, best RPR 184, beaten 7 lengths

Mon Mome, best RPR 166, beaten 30 lengths

Carruthers, best RPR 165, beaten 30 lengths

Cooldine, best RPR 170, beaten 31 lengths

Calgary Bay, best RPR 159, beaten 39 lengths

My Will, best RPR 162, beaten 51 lengths

Cerium, best RPR 139, beaten 61 lengths

The RP are going to have to give this a huge rating...

McCoy gave Denman a perfect ride.

No-one complained when Denman was out on his legs in 2008.

I really don't think he did, they were both given poor rides, both jockeys believed the hype and thought they were the only two in the race, was set up for something to come from behind them...

What did they do wrong?!

Kauto didn't go a yard, and Denman committed at exactly the right time.

The best horse on the day won, and won very well.

If there is one thing i have learned after 40years in this game it is never ever to listen to hype great to see imperial commander win so well.

The motley crew being interviewed now, I wonder if they apologise for the rides they gave their horses.

Well, I've seen a fair number of Gold Cups and I couldn't see anything wrong with the rides given, so maybe we were watching different races ?

Honestly, it does make me laugh when the talking through pockets comments start giving out after a race like this. Far too much hype beforehand re KS v D when everyone actually involved with horses will tell you that they can't read the scripts, arne't machines, have off days and sometimes simply aren't good enough, even with God aboard... You'd have thought after last time the media would have learned their lesson but of course it does make them money..

Just deeply glad KS seems to be OK and the same for all the others in the race.

Completely agree.

Well, I've seen a fair number of Gold Cups and I couldn't see anything wrong with the rides given, so maybe we were watching different races ?

Honestly, it does make me laugh when the talking through pockets comments start giving out after a race like this. Far too much hype beforehand re KS v D when everyone actually involved with horses will tell you that they can't read the scripts, arne't machines, have off days and sometimes simply aren't good enough, even with God aboard... You'd have thought after last time the media would have learned their lesson but of course it does make them money..

What did they do wrong?!

Kauto didn't go a yard, and Denman committed at exactly the right time.

The best horse on the day won, and won very well.

Francome hot the nail on the head, once a horse get's to 10 they're gonna be on the decline. Denman half a stone or so below his best and Kauto - who knows.

echo all of this. good post.

Back