The Gold Cup 2010

What did they do wrong?!

Kauto didn't go a yard, and Denman committed at exactly the right time.

The best horse on the day won, and won very well.

They were both too prominent, simple as that, they thought they were the only two horses in the race so tried to race eachother instead of the actual field.

I am not talking through my pocket by the way, I backed Denman at 6.0 and laid at 2.0 in running (thanks to Euro for that advice), and made a small profit. It would have been more had Denman won of course but I would have been happy to lose the lot if Kauto had won...

I suspect the Kauto/Denman era is over, and I'll always look back on it with extreme affection.

What a load of bollocks blaming the riders.

A good winner no doubt but it was a funny race, and I think difficult to rate. I'm not convinced that was a great Gold Cup.

They were both too prominent, simple as that, they thought they were the only two horses in the race so tried to race eachother instead of the actual field.

I am not talking through my pocket by the way, I backed Denman at 6.0 and laid at 2.0 in running (thanks to Euro for that advice), and made a small profit. It would have been more had Denman won of course but I would have been happy to lose the lot if Kauto had won...

Denman and Kauto took each other on? I really think you need to go watch the race again Ali. Others will say Denman was not prominent enough!!!

190 - hmmm I just like to see a horse do it more than once before believing that.

Never went a yard?!, until the mistake he was jumping spring heeled! He looked fine, he didn't run a yard after almost toppling himself, I don't blame him, his confidence must have been crippled.

If McCoy had used any more of Denman earlier, he would have got beaten further in my opinion. Kauto stayed the trip better than Denman last year, IC has done it again this. Very similar performances.

I still wouldnt back against Kauto getting another KGV...

The winner is special and i hope that talk of the big two doesnt overshadow a top class performance. Must surely be one of the best winners in last 25 years? That should be what people talk about

But Mccoy was great on Denman and it is still an astonishing training performance to bring back a really ill horse to come a massively clear second in this race. Thats the other real story

If McCoy had used any more of Denman earlier, he would have got beaten further in my opinion. Kauto stayed the trip better than Denman last year, IC has done it again this. Very similar performances.

Indeed, he's not a machine like everyone thinks as I said and he simply did not stay well enough given the way he was ridden.

Denman and Kauto took each other on? I really think you need to go watch the race again Ali. Others will say Denman was not prominent enough!!!

190 - hmmm I just like to see a horse do it more than once before believing that.

I'm rating the race, not a horse (if that makes sense?)

The winner is special and i hope that talk of the big two doesnt overshadow a top class performance. Must surely be one of the best winners in last 25 years? That should be what people talk about

But Mccoy was great on Denman and it is still an astonishing training performance to bring back a really ill horse to come a massively clear second in this race. Thats the other real story

Would agree with every word of this.

Official Ratings:

Imperial Commander: 174

Denman: 182 beaten 7 lengths

Mon Mome: 148 beaten 30 lengths

Carruthers: 155 beaten 30 lengths

Cooldine: 160 beaten 31 lengths

Calgary Bay: 153 beaten 39 lengths

My Will: 150 beaten 51 lengths

Cerium: 133 beaten 61 lengths

That might suggest that Mon Mome is going to hold the form down (relatively!), but it's worth nothing that he started the season in the Hennessy off 161, and was dropped to 148 after a couple of heavy ground defeats at Haydock.

What did Carruthers get his 155 rating for in comparison to Cooldine's 160?

Official Ratings:

Imperial Commander: 174

Denman: 182 beaten 7 lengths

Carruthers: 155 beaten 30 lengths

Cooldine: 160 beaten 31 lengths

Calgary Bay: 153 beaten 39 lengths

My Will: 150 beaten 51 lengths

Cerium: 133 beaten 61 lengths

That might suggest that Mon Mome is going to hold the form down (relatively!), but it's worth nothing that he started the season in the Hennessy off 161, and was dropped to 148 after a couple of heavy ground defeats at Haydock.

Sums it up, clivex. Good show by MON MOME, ostensibly there as a pipe-opener for the Grand National and, at those odds, I hope someone followed through on any hunches for an e/w steal - wish I had.

What did Carruthers get his 155 rating for in comparison to Cooldine's 160?

This 54 length (!) win in a heavy ground Grade 2 Novice Chase at Aintree:

http://www.racingpost.com/horses/result_home.sd?race_id=473957&r_date=2009-02-14&popup=yes

and this 23 length win in a heavy ground Graduation Chase at Newbury:

http://www.racingpost.com/horses/result_home.sd?race_id=473957&r_date=2009-02-14&popup=yes

Edit:

and confirmed by his second place over course and distance in the Cotswold:

http://www.racingpost.com/horses/result_home.sd?race_id=497174&r_date=2010-01-30&popup=yes

He's a mid 150s horse at his best so assuming they rate it through his I think they'll give the winner a mark in the low 180s
So:
Kauto - 191
Denman - 183
IC - 180-183ish

For the season.

IC absolutely has to be above Denman. All the form lines, never mind the fact he beat him well, point to this.

BTW if anyone has the relevant Timeform ratings, feel free to post them. All I know is that they have Denman on 183 and IC on 175.

McCoy rode a perfect race.

The winner is a very good horse , a 180+ nce today, should be favorite for next season.

I'd very much like to see Denman head to the National next year. He wont win another Gold Cup imo, but the longer the trip the less age counts.

Back