The Gordy Elliott Horror Picture Show

Regardless of my personal opinion - which is similar to the comments from Slim and Granger, I don't see how the horses can run under his name at Cheltenham, or any other meeting.

But it doesn't take long to transfer the name to another licensed trainer does it?, assuming there's somebody available.

When trainers die, it's been the case that horses have run in a spouse's name the very next day hasn't it?

i read something that they can't run for 14 days after transfer of ownership but maybe this rule isn't implemented when a trainer dies and responsibility is passed down

I think it may be more than 6 months. Sad for Gordon if so

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Horses are a cert to run. Can’t penalise the Owners for the transgressions of the trainer.

He’ll get a 6-month lie-down between May and October, and the license will go into someone else’s name in the interim.

i think you're about right but i think it'll be sooner than may, waiting it out so he can be the trainer for all the big festivals would send a bad message

Horses are a cert to run. Can’t penalise the Owners for the transgressions of the trainer.

He’ll get a 6-month lie-down between May and October, and the license will go into someone else’s name in the interim.

Never looked at it from the owners perspective tbh, cheers.

His PR team need to wheel him out on any news channel that will have him with him grovelling etc. Carragher did it when he spat at a family.
Just the image will be wheeled out by every animal rights protestor under the sun. Its a long long way back for him. No one will be feeling as **** as him today.

I'm stunned that the public outrage over a man sitting on a dead horse seems to be worse than one of the games leading owners kidnapping his own daughter.

Has to be a slight chance that the more morally concerned owners, e.g. Cheveley Park won't want their horses associated with him in the near future. Their big hopes are mainly work in progresses, Sir Gerhard, Quilixios especially and even Envoi Allen is "only" running in the Marsh and hopefully have their days ahead of them so it wouldn't be a major blow to skip race such as the Triumph (or Boodles) and Bumper to save reputation.

Any of those horses win then the connection to Elliott will be inevitable, even if he's not there (which I very much doubt he will be) and ITV/RTV avoid mentioning him.

Gigginstown you'd imagine would allow their horses to run regardless.

Last edited:
I'm stunned that the public outrage over a man sitting on a dead horse seems to be worse than one of the games leading owners kidnapping his own daughter.

Hard to argue with that but if the integrity of every racehorse owner was questioned - yes I know this is an extreme case and involves arguably the world's highest profile owner and certainly the richest - then a lot of owners wouldn't get involved.

Trainers on the other hand are the front man and ultimately responsible for the horses welfare which is why on the face of it this looks so bad. No different from rich owners of a football club being involved in all sorts which never get to press but a manager kicking a football boot at a player makes front page headlines.

Yes, definitely a photoshop job, but I agree with Granger and he should have come out fighting.

Someone defiinitley has it in for him right now though. That's the third thing in a week. I'm not repeating the other two things on a public forum though.
I haven't seen the other 2 things you reference and understand you not posting them here.

But are they as bad/damaging as the photo that has emerged??

Sent from my SM-J415FN using Tapatalk

Absolutely, and there has to be the chance the RP will welcome the opportunity to continue to deflect attention away from their own doorstep.

For all the utter absence of self- and situation-awareness of GE in the original photo, I would also want to know more about who is behind the release of the picture on social media and their motivation for it.

The horses won’t run because he will have his licence suspended by the BHA under honesty and integrity grounds with particular reference to animal welfare.

To paraphrase Sir Alex Ferguson no one person is bigger than the sport.

Please don't spout **** that might make people cash out bets etc. The horses will run. Once they are entered nothing can stop them running.

Please don't spout **** that might make people cash out bets etc. The horses will run. Once they are entered nothing can stop them running.

Tbh this is all i need to know. Its so very selfish given the circumstances, but one must think of themselves and their own pocket sometimes.

Cheers

Betfair discontinues association with Gordon Elliott following a dead horse photo.

"While we recognise that Gordon deeply regrets and apologised unreservedly for his poor judgement his actions are completely at odds with the values of the Betfair brand and that of our employees.

"With that in mind, we have decided to discontinue our association with Gordon with immediate effect."

Sh1t flows downhill I'm afraid.

The BHA, which governs the sport in Britain, also urged the Irish authorities to act quickly as racing prepares for this month's Cheltenham Festival...It doesn't look good for his chances....He may stand down..

Last edited:
Betfair discontinues association with Gordon Elliott following a dead horse photo.

"While we recognise that Gordon deeply regrets and apologised unreservedly for his poor judgement his actions are completely at odds with the values of the Betfair brand and that of our employees.

"With that in mind, we have decided to discontinue our association with Gordon with immediate effect."

Sh1t flows downhill I'm afraid.

The BHA, which governs the sport in Britain, also urged the Irish authorities to act quickly as racing prepares for this month's Cheltenham Festival...It doesn't look good for his chances....He may stand down..

Betfair aren’t going to be the only ones. There will likely be a rush to protect reputations and the corollary is that if you don’t follow the line you condone his actions. Thus, landslides start.

Suspending his license quickly before Cheltenham with immediate effect surely has to be an option for the powers that be though, Slim.

It's wishful thinking on your behalf if you think that's not possible.

If I was a backer of his horses, (without the NRNB concession) , I'd be considering cashing out my bets.

Unless as a punter you happen to think your bookie would be good enough to refund your stakes should your horses not run due to what's happend here.

Last edited:
The BHA are using the spare time they spend not dealing with an owner allegedly imprisoning a human family member very wisely. A thick gobshite sitting on a dead animal is far more nefarious.

Suspending his license quickly before Cheltenham with immediate effect surely has to be an option for the powers that be though, Slim.

If I was a backer of his horses, (without the NRNB concession) I'd be considering cashing out my bets.

Unless as a punter you happen to think your bookie would be good enough to refund your stakes should your horses not run due to what's happened.

If the horses were suspended you would get them as a non-runner under ante-post rules...

I am personally astounded that he should do something like this. When I first looked at the photo I convinced myself that it was photoshopped! Probably because I just couldn’t believe that someone I respected as a trainer could behave like this.
That he did and has openly admitted it, makes me appalled. There is simply no defending him IMO. He has brought racing into disrepute and for that he should lose his licence. Were it a smaller trainer, that would have happened by now!

And as for the Sheikh Mo situation, well the “powers that be” are far too scared of blinking the wrong way in his direction for fear of him pulling out of racing. Of course it should be considered. But is highly unlikely to be. They’re too busy a*selicking him.

The BHA are using the spare time they spend not dealing with an owner allegedly imprisoning a human family member very wisely. A thick gobshite sitting on a dead animal is far more nefarious.

There is a huge difference between an owner and a trainer - granting a licence being the biggest and most obvious one. Secondly and you have said it yourself 'allegedly' against proven guilt and thirdly the BHA haven't done a thing yet. The case is being dealt with by the the Irish authorities. Complete apples and oranges comparison.

Do you still think that it isn't even a good photoshop??

Several trainers are already asking the public not to tar all trainers with the same brush. Tricky times for Gordon to save himself.

Does anyone object to separating the posts re the GE situation into a new thread from the Chris Cook posts on this (his!) thread.

If I was a backer of his horses, (without the NRNB concession) , I'd be considering cashing out my bets.

Unless as a punter you happen to think your bookie would be good enough to refund your stakes should your horses not run due to what's happend here.

My Twitter timeline is full of people doing Energumene (marsh) and Tritonic (triumph) doubles. Also makes the chance of Roual Paggaile going to the NH Chase more likely.
A lot of knock on effects.

Id say 95% of my bets have a Gordon runner going through them. Some with Hills and Skybet with no cash outs available. My dummy will come massively out of the pram if his horses are not able to run.

Back