The JP McManus Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter SlimChance
  • Start date Start date
I put this up on the other thread:

Steady on the machine in the win market, 3rd fav @ 6.14, but couldn't give it away on the place market, 3.2, 5th in the betting.

Place odds were unreal.

Thank fook for Betfair at least I saved a bit but I don't fancy my chances in the Triumph..........I could have swore that was Graeme Bradley riding him:blink::D

there was will saunter in for the triumph. never tried a leg today and ap should be banned for a week.

The thing about AP is he doesn't actually stop them he just doesn't give them the McCoy treatment...... the stopping is done at home by sending them racing not 100% fit needing the run. Almost always they wouldn't win anyway but if knocked about a lot of them could end up placed which must infuriate punters betting on the place market.

Against that you have the welfare of the horse to think about. Some jockeys are told win if you can but don't give him a hard race others are told he'll need the run steady away.

The Stewards in the interest of racing and the owners who put their cash into the game accept that an awful lot of horses are out there just for a run and knocking 10 bells out of them is of no advantage to anyone. That is except the punter who backed him for a place and they don't meant sh!t to AP in comparison to a horses welfare..part of his job is to make sure the horse enjoys himself and not come home thinking to hell with that for a game of soldiers

In a case like today's if they pulled AP in all that would happen is AP would tell them the horse was very tired and he didn't want to unduly punish him and they would accept it

The truth is the Stewards will very seldom pull a jockey up when riding a raw novice unless it's blatant that he's pulling the head off the horse.

I lost a few quid today but I've been at the game long enough to realize moaning about it is a waste of time as I'd do the same if I was in a trainer's jockeys shoes.

thats bollocks Fist. The horse was never given the chance to be involved. Remember this is an experienced flat horse not some stores horse thats just arrived on the track. A horse that has reacted well to the whip in past races. Any other jockey / trainer would have been in bother today.

Bollocks my backside. I read why the ran badly every day and you very seldom see jockeys riding first time out hurdles being pulled up flat horses or not flat horses, even Roger Buffham wouldn't have bothered because it's way too easy for a jockey to give the simple answer...horses welfare....They do inquire but how many bans do you see in comparison to seasoned handicapper eg ? Yesterday the did pull in one jockey at Ludlow but his saddle had slipped. Nothing was said about McCoys ride or anyone else's in Last Shadows race as they knew the answer they would get before asking the question. It's not just because it's AP you could pick out 4 or 5 novices a week who are ridden in a similar manner and nothing is said. In Ireland you get 20 a day and that's in one race:lol:

I'm not disputing he'd have finished a lot closer and AP never got him involved,,,,,,Christ he made up as much ground after the last sa the winner made on the second but would he have won? I don't think he would have as he looked abit green round the gills in the jumping department but that's just my opinion.........will he be the subject of a massive gamble in the future? You can bet you life on it......I reckon he'll have one more run, **** up and then if he pleases them he'll most likely go for the Triumph or as some one suggested the Albert Bartlett and JP will be there cash in hand if the horse is ready to rumble. I reckon he could be a very good horse and of those that beat him today will never beat him again

Last edited:
Back