The JP McManus Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter SlimChance
  • Start date Start date
Speckled Wood strikes me as a likely gamble - I'm predicting this goes off fav - The Mullins yoke's French form looks very poor and trainer has only had her for 5 days - Speckled Wood only 7L behind Ally Cascade on first run and Ally Cascade less than a length behind Jezki on previous run and made that horse work to win.

Drifting....

Chum Food wouldn't even bid for Mick's after that :lol:

To be fair he traveled well for a long way and hit 4 on the machine but then decided he didn't want to know.........gotta be more psychological than physical,. I'm sure even Slim would agree with that now.

Hope anyone who backed him manged to save a bit in running.

Now it's Darlan's turn..........what's the chances of him giving it his all the Xmas Hurdle.

Barry Geharty reckoned he wouldn't have found a lot on the ground at Taunton which although down as good to soft was a lot nearer soft than good.

That has got to be a worry as is the improvement this horse would have to be a contender for the Champion Hurdle proper.

With what he has achieved to date if he wasn't JP's with the Henderson names of and McCoy attached I doubt if anyone would rate him a serious CH contender.

The opposition may not be top notch for the Xmas hurdle and I suppose he could win but I am firmly in John Quinns camp here and I'd rather lay Darlan than back him.

My worry is he shows a distinct dislike for the ground and AP throws the towel in to save him for another day, That day being the Betfair Hurdle in Feb.

My belief is neither Nicky or JP think he's good enough to win a Champion Hurdle and his main aim is to land a touch in the Betfair.

Countryside Flame looks the Xmas banker to me.

Last edited:
I tell you something right now, GetMeOUtOFHere is a good little tool on his day and if he can recapture his best form he'll be in the three.

He would of beat Zarkandar in the Trophy I have no doubt at all. Only someone who'd backed Zarkandar or had their eyes closed that day could argue different.

If 8 runners do indeed go to post you won't find a better e/w bet all year. I'll wait to see if any mug layers want to give away 20's on the day if they all go to post.

Last edited:
Take A Shot is very interesting on Stephens Day in Down Royal. Handbrake released over hurdles on the 27th of December three years ago. Has a form chance, but form figures might inflate the price. Will be out of sight of many bookies/ATR junkies.

Whether it JP/relations/friends getting involved I dont know, but maybe the Floods do.

JP's Ned Buntline looks like something to really get stuck into. He was heavily backed to win a bumper before being beaten in his first run over hurdles. He's a class act and I expect him to start at odds on as he is very highly thought of and one JP may just get stuck into if he's around.

Good luck Tanlic - personally more excited to see HDB's Grey Monk, absolutely annihilated subsequent winners at Largy last season in a very fast time. Not expecting a victory tomorrow as he's more of a long term prospect and sure he could make up into a decent staying chaser in the future :)

Martin

I thought Ned was a bit hesitant and had a tendency to get outpaced at times on his hurdling debut.If he is evens or lower pre race I will be getting my laying boots on.

Take A Shot is very interesting on Stephens Day in Down Royal. Handbrake released over hurdles on the 27th of December three years ago. Has a form chance, but form figures might inflate the price. Will be out of sight of many bookies/ATR junkies.

Whether it JP/relations/friends getting involved I dont know, but maybe the Floods do.

Fine. I'll do it.

Ahem.

Jockey mistook the winning post. Lucky. Red and White lollipops about 100 yards out.

Funny, how the Colbert Station slipped through the net here.

One got away today. Highly unusual pre show betting patterns. Not that any on you would have noticed.

One got away today. Highly unusual pre show betting patterns. Not that any on you would have noticed.

^^^^Ark at Einstein, i've searched a few forums, still haven't found one i wish to use on a regular basis. Mainly down to silly comments like this.

Big talking horse of Jonjo's may run at Sandown on Saturday :Jp's Last Shadow.
Nicky tried to buy him for Tony Bromley and the whispers from Jackdaw suggest he'll be wishing he had. More like loud shouts than whispers.

It could be quite a hot Juvenile but I doubt if that will stop them having a go as they think he could be a bit special.....run or not he's my JP horse to follow for 2013

In the meantime Edmaaj who was bought by Frank Berry for JP/Jonjo at the same time as Last Shadow makes his debut at Fakenham and with AP on board should create a lot of interest. AP could get him jumping and give Chabal something to think about but "not the slickest" I heard being said about him a while back so at a guess he might just be quietly away may be on the cards which would mean Chabal could be a right bet today.

Trying to second guess Jonjo when it comes to JP's horses is not for the faint hearted and I could end up with egg on my face but I'm having a good bet on Chabal who's been trading at over 6/4 on the machine but only for peanuts as every fooker in the UK has spent all their money on Shortbread and Whiskey

Last edited:
It's 10/11 that anything bought by Frank Berry will find itself chained to the narrow-end of a milk-float within 18 months.

If anyone doubts JP's generosity of spirit, they need look no futher than Berry's ongoing emploment as McManus's racing manager - a man who apparently can't tell the difference between a Ferrari and a Hillman Imp.

Couldn't agree more but on this occasion Jonjo was with him> The story goes JP asked if he would like a Ferrari for Xmas and he said yes that he loved chocolates and loved the way they wrap them in gold paper:blink:

If Last Shadow doesn't win a top notch hurdle race by he end of the season I'll buy you a Ferrero :lol:

Back