The King George

Have to confess to having a soft spot for Somersby as well, bred out the road here from me. Stranger things have happened..18's on the machine;)

I've been backing Kauto since the Betfair at higher prices so I'm laying off some and using that money to give me round about the same return whether Kauto wins or Captain Chris. I'm also doing a rfc on the two.

I thought last years King George was an awful event and the second certainly isn't any better than Weird Al who Long Run and Kauto beat at Haydock.

The Haydock form looks the better to me and the big question is can Long Run pull back the 8 lengths deficit. The distance in the King george is meaningless as Kauto ran no race and was beaten by the 10th fence when AP first started having to niggle him along.

The Gold Cup form is even more dodgy as Denman has been retired since and kauto again was beaten a log way from home.

This is a much better race than last year with Master Minded and Captain Chris both of the highest class unlike Riverside Theatre. There are question marks about both of them staying the trip especially Master Minded who was so fast over 2 miles I'll be surprised if he does stay but he won't half ensure Long Run has to jump perfectly to keep up. Long Run makes almost all of his mistakes when either asked for a long one like he was at Haydock or when he comes under pressure like he did in the Paddy Power. So he's not for me.

First time I really took to Captain Chris wasn't over 2 miles nor when he finished runner up to Medermit but in the 3 horse race prior to Cheltenham. There was just something about him that day that said this horses oozes class and I think it wasn't until that day he came of age.

He's won the Arkle since and would have certainly won first time up this season had he not fallen

I reckon he's only had 3 races when Philip Hobbs had had him where he really wanted him and he was nowhere near peak fitness in any of his other races over jumps.

If Kauto Star is beaten and I sincerely hope he is not, I think it will be by Captain Chris and not Long Gun

I'm nailing my colours well and truly to Masterminded just think he has been screaming out for this trip imo as all his best performances recently have been over further and having watching the Melling again if he travels like that again he may not need to get the 3m as he may just have too much speed at the end of the race to put it to bed.

Beating Albertas Run on a greyhound track like Aintree is different gear than this though Kauto. He certainly wasn't crying out for further at Ascot.

Back