The King George

I'll be pissed if Captain Chris doesn't run because he had a cold a month before the race.

Is that a declaration of intent?!

I've backed him at 9/1 but wouldn't go in again until the day given the (slight) doubts around his participation.

Last edited:
Isn't the point of betting to find a bet that you think could win the race at odds which would make placing a saftey net?

Never met anyone who backs a horse on the basis of just wanting to place, if they're not good enough to win surely they're chances of placing are going to be limited?

Isn't the point of betting to find a bet that you think could win the race at odds which would make placing a saftey net?
yes .. but only in the years from dot to the start of Betfair.

the idea of making a bet is to win money..a win only bet is only one way of winning money.

i'll bet you have never met many that bet on distances either

Last edited:
Which one of his jumps would that one be?

:whistle:

:D V funny SS. What I meant, as I'm sure you know, was that compared to a Kauto or Best Mate at their peak he is not a real classy jumper and traveller imho. Kauto & Denman seemed to jump and travel better than him for large parts of the GC. What he does posess is a monster engine and he is almost impossible to oppose in the KG and I think he will win comfotably.

Somersby was desperately disappointing in the Peterborough and as many have suggested he would probably run 2nd/3rd in a seller or a Gold Cup!! I'm on at 20/1 ew and Planet Of Sound 50/1 ew and I haven't given up hope of picking up some place money as the field looks set to cut up with maybe 8 or 9 runners max, maybe less if I'm lucky ;)

I've backed Long Run. I still think Nicholls and Clive Smith will rely on Master Minded but if they run Kauto I just wonder if I'm expecting a bit much from him now?

Long Run is far too short considering the way he jumped at Haydock and is the price he is on the apparent lack of enthusiasm for the rest of the field.

Kauto Star will go very close to winning if he turns up , indeed if he was to turn up in Betfair form he will win . - but like others I suspect they will revert to Plan A and send him to the Gold Cup hoping he is as fresh and brilliant as on Betfair day

The entire race and what will happen revolves round Kauto Star. There's no getting away with it his display in the race last season was lacklustre and had most people thinking retirement.

While Long Run beat him in the Gold Cup I'm not so sure he would have at the 3 mile marker. Even at his very best I've never thought Kauto really gets the trip that well at Cheltenham. He used his speed to slip the field in both his wins but when he got to the hill you could hardly say he sprinted up it, he was definitely losing momentum. Against Long Run his speed all but gone he went from travelling ok to not being able to put one leg in front of the other up the hill

I actually said all this on another forum before the Betfair. Back at 3 miles if Kauto Star runs as well as he did in the Gold Cup he'll beat Long Run and I see no reason why he can't do it again.

Long Run was said to be as fit as they could possibly get him at Haydock, he'd had the best schooling in the world and still he messed up when Kauto turned on the pressure.

Kauto's days of getting up the Cheltenham hill may be over but round Kempton on a semi-bad day he's still as good as Long Run will ever be.

I would be happy to say if Kauto goes he wins. I'm not too concerend about Long Run as Kauto clearly had his measure at Haydock mistakes or no mistakes, but I do fear Captiain Chris who is pure class and a a huge danger if he stays.

Last edited:
...that sort of throat condition would stop most horses I’d agree… :) I haven’t given up that CC will be very useful this season though.

Waley Cohen just taken wrong course at Fakenham - long ban? New jockey for Long Run? Watch this space....

EDIT: Waley Cohen claims he was pulling up..... for once I'm with Matt Chapman, doesn't seem to be pulling up to me.

Last edited:
Looks a bit iffy too me, especially after the fiasco at Saturday the first thing in jockeys minds is going to be make sure they take the right course?

What is the ban, 14 days? from today that would be bang on the 26th.

What is Waley Cohen doing riding at a tip of a track like that on a nothing mondays afternnon riding nothing horses?

Very cold and calculative.

Last edited:
They said Sam Thomas got 17 days for wrong course at Fakenham before - plus it doesn't kick in straightaway, if they decide he's taken wrong course he's not riding LR.

Watching the re-run, might he even have mistaken the number of circuits?

Last edited:
Kauto is Kempton bound it seems. So glad. I have backed Long Run but it wasn't a big bet. I just want to see the legend have another go here.

Seems pretty logical to me, otherwise you would have an amateur happily taking a suspension when he knows he won't be riding in the next 12 days much as there is so few amateur races.

Back