The Oaks (and beyond)

Would be interesting to see the sectionals. Looked like they might have gone off too hard in front, allowing the Gosden filly to pick up the pieces late on. Visually they certainly appeared to be going a lot quicker in the closing in the Derby Trial as well having only gone a steady enough gallop. Interesting that the two times were virtually identical as well.

Timepiece looked horribly unbalanced too up the straight . Even if they cut each other's throats up front one to avoid I reckon.

Good point Trackside. I just took some very quick ones off the replays after seeing your post Not ideal with no furlong markers until 3f out and a different camera angle because of the O'Brien horse breaking down but for various markers I got.

Time to 3f out 1.53.65 1.55.14
3f to 2f 12.77 13.54
2f to 1f 12.94 11.79
1f to line 12.68 11.75
Total 2.32.07 2.32.22

The first set of times are the Oaks Trial

They are not 100% accurate obviously but tell you plenty and suggest Timepiece and Celieidh House can be marked up over the bare form.

Good stuff, DJ. Ceilidh House may well be the one to take out of the race given she is (marginally) the least exposed of the trio and was making her seasonal reappearance as well.

Looking at it from the perspective of the Derby Trial, Dubawi Phantom might be interesting at a decent price for something like the King Edward.

a guy Asked Gosden about Radio Wave and gosden answered :

''A 12f maiden at HQ in mid-May A very light, delicate horse''

Thanks for the mister. She's got an entry in the 12f maiden at Newmarket on Friday so I presume that's the race he was talking about. I'd say the Oaks is unlikely though.

Watching the Oaks and Derby Trials again, I make it that at the point to the top of the Hill, the Oaks Trial was run approximately 3 seconds quicker than the Derby trial, and as a result were much slower coming up the straight. I'd be inclined to mark Timepiece (still concerned about her attitude) and Ceildh House up over the bare form, and also can't help but think Bullet Train had the run of things and would be surprised if he were good enough to win the Derby.

Watching the Oaks and Derby Trials again, I make it that at the point to the top of the Hill, the Oaks Trial was run approximately 3 seconds quicker than the Derby trial, and as a result were much slower coming up the straight. I'd be inclined to mark Timepiece (still concerned about her attitude) and Ceildh House up over the bare form, and also can't help but think Bullet Train had the run of things and would be surprised if he were good enough to win the Derby.

Pretty much how I saw both races.

I thought Timepiece ran a decent trial as did Ceilidh House. Look here got beaten in this and won the oaks and it was a much worse race that year on the face of it. Given that was her first run of the season i'd be more inclined to support her as she travelled as well as the favourite throughout.

I thought it a really nice performance from Aviate, probably the best in any of the trials. Caberet was very disappointing, I don't think that it was all down to lack of fitness either.

Is Kithonia declared anywhere ?

Thought Aviate did really well despite Ahern's terrible ride . How I wish Henry would get a proper jockey again !

Last edited:
Akdarena did it well yesterday, the form is not abd but was hardly ridden and doesnt looka classy type,
even though the race is very weak at the moment and nothing special from the trials,
my feeling is that the main ones will be the ones from the Guineas to run in the far side, where they didnt have any chance,

Everyone forgetting Termagant - unbeaten 2/2 easily beat Cabaret on her debut as a 2yo and then went on to win a Group 1 on soft with Prendergast believing that she's better on a sounder surface.

25/1 about her looks massive.

When will she run though?

I think Wedding March will go really well tomorrow at Newbury.

Back