The Paddy Power Gold Cup2009 (Entries)

Why is Tranquil Sea running off 148 when his Irish mark is 142? Why was Casey Jones put in at 153 when his Irish mark is 151 (149 at the time, I believe)?

Has the joint classification for 140+ been abondoned or what?

I put my hands up - I haven't a clue what will win. I've backed I'm So Lucky, From Dawn To Dusk and :o......Tartak, to small stakes, but have little in the way of confidence.

Having to cover practically the entire field in my TTF lines. :(

I liked Tranquil Sea alot last year (and indeed as a hurdler) but I agree with previous comments that he is not one to be taking 5/1 about in a race like this.

TS was ew value at 12/1. Wouldn't be touching him at 5/1. I'm wary of Tatenen being a bit of a Silverburn.....promising the world and delivering little, but he and Ballyfitz would look the value to me at this moment in time.

Arial

I prefer to get there early, beat the traffic and have a couple in the Centaur Centre.

It tends to get very busy/full of piss-heads in there later in the afternoon, but early on it's quite a good place to soak up atmosphere.

The Plough at Prestbury would be a good shout. It's just over the back of the course, and a walk in round the back straight.

A good racing crowd in there.

Cantoris are you meeting up before racing as usual?

Can anyone recommend a good public establishment close to the course.

Tailors is usually good for a laugh. Will be absolute madness most places with Ireland-France on the Saturday evening.

The Queens has become a haven for local prostitutes (will withhold comment on whether that's good or bad...) and 21 Club is decent late nights though I reckon you'd want to be fairly well on (not a worry for most) to enjoy it.

Thanks Trackside we are staying in Bristol for the eveing but thanks all the same noted for next time. The Plough sounds like a plan thanks guys.

Leavin Chester 630am to get to Bristol for the 1030 train to Cheltenham gonna be a very long but hopefully enjoyable day.

Ive put it off long enough. Ive backed Tatenen at 8-1. The ground looks to be going his way but hard to know if a 24 runner race will suit him after the Arkle.

I don't think the size of the Arkle field had anything to do with him trying to clamber over the third rather than jump it. It's not as if they went mental fast early on.

No but he has not run in a big field besides that. I would not take too much shorter a price.

I've taken some 25's about According To Pete - rain rain rain will suit him down to the ground, he had a nice pipe opener on the flat a few weeks ago and I can see this developing into a stamina test, his only previous start at Cheltenham was when placed in a handicap hurdle and with form at 3m I can see him going very close.

Tatenen won a 16 runner 3yo Hurdle at Auteuil as a youngster (beating Songe and River Liane no less) - the field size shouldn't bother him too much.

I'm still comfortable with my ante-post on Tatenen. I agree with Bar that Ballyfitz may be the one to challenge him.

These two look starighforward choices to me at the weights.

Would not worry about a big field the amount of rain falling at Cheltenham would suggest the field is gonna cut up come post time.

Can see Tatenen starting off around 4-1 Favourite with quite a lot of false money going on him when Ruby switches mounts.

Final decs are through Arial - at most you'll be looking at 3 or 4 non-runners so that would still leave 18 going in the big one.

I think it is a very hard market to second guess. It might be one that Pricewise has a big impact on. If ruby were to switch to Tatenen he might go off favourite but I doubt it.

Back