The Pointing Thread

Sorry Benny - only just seen this :(

Good luck today Roddy.

Good HC down at Ffos Las today - TT should win as he needs to to secure qualification for the Foxhunters at Cheltenham but he's no price at all and I'd much rather oppose him with Silver Token who's one of two runners for the sponsor David Brace. Silver Token scored in by far the fastest time of the day at Chaddesley Corbett back in December on his first outing for in excess of 18 months. He didn't appear to handle heavy ground when last seen under rules though he was 33/1 for his only start on it at Chepstow in 2009 but he seemed to get through what was essentially waterlogged going at CC to beat Le Burf (who romped home at Godstone last weekend) and Vic Venturi (30 lengths back in third who ran well in the Walrus yesterday). Bradley Gibbs is a jockey most on here will know I rate very highly and he's exceptional value for his 7lbs claim in this race, 11-3 is no sort of weight in a race of this nature and I'd expect him to at least make the frame and will be interested in what price he is to beat his main rival for second favouritism in last years winner Cave Hill who won a very weak renewal in 2012 and was pushed along when unseating in a slightly better Hunter Chase at Chepstow later in the season.

Happy with 11/4 Silver Token without the favourite.

Martin

Sadly not Bar - will wait for next year :)

Tricky Trickster now qualified and think he's around the 14/1 mark now - not bad for a course winner who's trained by Nicholls. Salsify a very worthy jolly though.

They were trying to get him back to the track but he died in 2011 - unsure on this but think it was colic.

Certainly one of the most promising HC horses we've seen in years.

Ludlow - Jist of this race is Bermuda Boy is always worth opposing, Marty's Mission wants further and Bai Zhu looks underpriced to me. Happy to take What Of It E/W at 12/1 and the classy Coin Of The Realm at 20's for a top yard in these affairs.

Doncaster - Rumbury Grey worth opposing here, Dante's Storm looked back to his best at Charing the other day but he still demolishes the odd fence and as such Postmaster looks the best bet at 100/30.

Martin

Ludlow - Jist of this race is Bermuda Boy is always worth opposing, Marty's Mission wants further and Bai Zhu looks underpriced to me. Happy to take What Of It E/W at 12/1 and the classy Coin Of The Realm at 20's for a top yard in these affairs.

Doncaster - Rumbury Grey worth opposing here, Dante's Storm looked back to his best at Charing the other day but he still demolishes the odd fence and as such Postmaster looks the best bet at 100/30.

Martin

Top stuff as usual Martin :D

Good Hunter Chase at Huntingdon today with prolific winner Freddies Return (unbeaten in 9 p2p starts) returning to regulation fences for the first time in nearly 3 years. I personally think he's worth opposing at the price given they have been very weak races he's been winning in the South East (our form down here generally doesn't stand up against the better areas) and he's won over 3m 6f and 4m so clearly stays well whilst I don't think this will be enough of a test for him. Gentle George has been disappointing thus far given the support for him first time out at Wincanton and it wasn't a great race he contested last time out at Lingfield last week. My Shamwari is I believe a first runner for some friends of mine and he was a very classy hurdler a couple of years ago and looks to retain plenty of his ability judged on his homework - MS should be fit enough to do himself justice whilst I also like Hows My Friend for Grant Cann. HMF won a poor Beginners Chase at Towcester last May and goes very well fresh, I'm not overly keen on Miss Bush as a jockey but she takes 7lb off for a reason and he should go well also.

My Shamwari @ 9/1 and Hows My Friend @ 11/1 will do for me.

Martin

No Panic ran at Barbury on the weekend ridden by the trainers son. Ran well in scond all the way until two out when he saw the horsebox,and decided he would like to go home.

Good luck, Roddy.

Only a Maiden Hunter Chase but an impressive performance by ROBIN WILL at Leicester this afternoon. He's a half-brother to My Will and Unioniste and was trained by Nicholls early in his career. His first run for Miss Kayley Jones today.

Last edited:
Indeed Colin - Kayley has played a blinder under the expert supervision of her partner Richard Woollacott ;-)

The hood has made the world of difference to Robin Will - shame he can't run for a while now due to vaccination irregularities, very impressive today.

Good luk Roddy - cracking track at Horseheath.

Martin

Big fan of Ally Stirling who rides Lady M but unsure on her record over regulation fences. She's been disappointing a few times thus far particularly in recent years. This is a drop in grade really though compared to the race she contested last time out at Barbury Castle.

Would prefer to be with The General Lee myself who showed he's well up to the job when winning at North Carlton last time out and gets on well with the useful Jane Williams. Island Life would be of interest also on his old form but he's shown nothing so far this year and the yard aren't exactly flying at the moment so it'd have to be The General Lee for me.

At Taunton I like the chances of Swansbrook who won a confined in a good time last time out at Black Forest Lodge.

Martin

Good HC down at Newbury today but bad memories given it was the race where Merry Vic took the wrong course when clear last season.

Trouble Digger looks too short in the market but is a horse on the up, Joe Hill isn't much good so worth laying Ravethebrave (horse is a bit soft too IMHO), Vic Venturi always seems to have a chance on soft/heavy ground but bar his last run at Haydock he's been disappointing since coming to the UK. I don't really rate the race that Nicto De Beauchene won last time out with Rebel Du Maquis being beaten a head and the other main market principal only being 70% fit so it leaves me with two SE horses (Dead Or Alive who needs a jockey on top and Man From Moscow who has a decent pilot but needs to improve to figure) and Offshore Account who's Novice ridden. Offshore Account was a fortuitous winner of this last year but handles ground with cut and at 13.0 is worth a small bet.

Martin

Will look over for you Benny - there's an inspection I think and everything else is off but looks a moderate card by their standards.

Martin

Benny if it is on and you go - if last year is anything to go by - take an huge array of waterproofs! Never been so cold and wet in my life as there last year! Everyone crammed into the tents for shelter & body warmth!

Come to ours instead - May 12th when the weather should be kinder (please God!) - we're not that far away - Holnicote, near MInehead. And its got to be one of the prettiest courses you will go to!

Back